Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who else is looking forward to the end of this hot spell?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I always kip in the nip but these last few days I slept without the duvet too. Its so comfortable and a great feeling!

One downside to the heatwave is leaving the window open at night and all the midges and daddylonglegs flying in, then having to close it and be swealtering all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I miss my Raab jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Working in it is a kunt the weekends its lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

Yeah we have to conserve water during the dry spell. Such BS after July. Just shows how.prepared we are for a particularly medium to long dry spell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

No, **** that. We had an absolute shite summer from the start of July. My young kids were asking why it was like winter in middle of summer. Winter is **** long in Ireland with the dark evenings rolling in, and many people suffer with SAD.

We have been on a beach four days this week, my kids loved it and today I was diving into waves without freezing to death.

Long live the heatwave.

I'm looking forward to the end of AMKC starting stupid threads.

Ms

It's not a stupid thread. It's a very relevant thread. It's not just me that hates this hot spell but my poor dog can not stand it either. He has never been good in the heat. He gets sores under his elbows everytime from it. Not fair on him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,834 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

the weather is great, we are just back from dubai and this is light work

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

yes and how wise they were. this nice spell will end in a few days and before you know it we will have to endure,

"persistent rain, followed by light showers, more rain, frost, snow, a few more showers, drizzle, squal, some light frost with the chance of heavy downpours and severe risk of localised flooding".

Ah yes the Irish winter .....

I’ve health issues that cause me to be floored by the humid heat we gave, only respite is in the air conditioned car. MS & persistent heat don’t work well together, so all my neurological functions decline. I do love the cheerful look of the sun, and I love being on holidays in the sun where I can retreat for a siesta in my air conditioned room. At home here in my apartment the living room window is big and south facing, creating a greenhouse effect, so it’s up at 30C in here and the only escapes are my car or my cooler north facing bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

It's too hot and humid. Even though I was complaining about the rain all summer lol.

Just give me some dry and overcast days at about 12-14 degrees. Come on Autumn, make yourself known. Sitting in my garage here watching the rugby, house too hot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm happy for the people who enjoy the hot weather. It's nice to see people happy, and the women certainly look great in the Summer clothes. However, it's draining to work outside in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Love the days but a bit fed up of the interrupted sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I want winter. So badly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's the damn humidity that kills us here. 89% now, so uncomfortable even at 17C.

Give me 2018 again, with RH in the 30%s, and temps around 25-30C, no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Unfortunately even the decent larger portable aircon units are around 450-500 euros plus delivered.

the alternative might be some powerful pedestal fans…. Hifi Tower sell Klarstein fans which I have here, very happy with them.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,994 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I want to sleep in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Guys just to say , over the last number of years I've been renovating our old house, each year something extra, save a bit more money then carry out another project.

This year after a few years tbh of humming and hawwing about what heat system to put in and after a good bit of research, I finally settled on a2a heat pump ( heating & cooling ).

The final touches were put to it a couple of days back and let me tell you, when the lads cleaned up and left, I set the thing to a pleasant cooling temp mode, closed all the windows and in no time at all I was walking around a cool house, just like being abroad.

It's far from air con I was rared but I worked hard to save up for it and like previous posters have said, Irish houses should begin looking at having BOTH heating and cooling installed.

One other bonus of it albeit a small one was the huge reduction of flies ! All along in hot weather, windows needed to be opened which of course invited so many in it really annoyed me. I've a few large windows too and to see them dancing on them was yuck.

With the air con = no flies ( more or less ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

With air to air do you need to have something else for hot water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭archfi

Well, in my corner of Dublin it's at an end. Massive downpour over the past 20 minutes. It's quite beautiful :)

I'm expecting another SEVERE CLIMATE EVENT ALERT🤪 from the boys and girls at Met Eireann. I'm soo nervous about it...now where's me snorkel

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I tell my forigne friends abroad that because we get so much shyte weather in Ireand the people prefer the shyte weather beause to them that's the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭toggle toes

Irish people always had a fascination with weather. It' a great topic to start a conversation particular with someone who you may have just met for the first time. I think no matter what type of weather we get we as Irish people will always have an opinion on our weather. If we get a few snow flakes the whole country closes down. Then if we g complain when it rains for most of the Summer. And finally when we get a brief hot spell of weather we complain it's too hot. The fact of the matter is we as a country are going to have to get used to these extreme weather conditions in the future. I think we can count ourselves lucky that it is only a short spell of hot weather and that we are not expeirencing the extreme heat Europe and the rest of the world is experiencing at this current time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Me.

I hate it. 15 degrees and bright with a bit of a breeze is my perfect day. I can tolerate up to about 20 degrees but after that I start to get cranky.

Glad it feels a bit cooler today, and we've just had a shower of rain.

I have some very good ceiling fans in the living room and bedrooms as well as a couple of pedestal and table fans in strategic spots around the house.

Once it hits 25-30 I stay inside away from it unless very early in the morning or later in the evening. (I also suffer with a sun allergy and have sun damaged skin that means I have to wear SPF 50 all year round).

I'm seriously considering getting air con installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Well I hope yis are all happy. Absolutely torrential rain in Templeogue all morning 😡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I like the current heat but I see the effect it has on my elderly relative with dementia. It can't be a coincidence that every time we get weather much over 20 degrees, they become weak, lethargic and withdrawn even with close monitoring of hydration and electrolyte intake.

It doesn't even have to be very hot - research from the UK shows a 4.5% increase in hospital admissions of dementia patients for every 1 degree over 17 degrees.

If this weather is going to occur with increased frequency I'll start to hate it as I get older and will likely invest in air conditioning, maybe just some portable units. Air con plus solar panels seems like a good combination.

It's up to yourself. You can have something else heating the water ( I have emersion style at present ) or certain a2a also offer up to a few indoor air con units and x1 hotwater cylinder ran on one outside heat pump.

I'm looking to install pv solar panels next year with batteries so hopefully that'll take care of the electricity for house and air con along with a diverter to heat a water cylinder with constant water.

It's a saving game now again over next few months before I go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Go for it.

The way I see it is like this, I've an old van with only a heater in it ( no air con ) and it's rough to be in it on very hot days. Since then thankfully, I would presume most cars have air con installed ( heating and cooling ) so why aren't we pushing this more for our homes ?

Alot of Irish homes ( old & new even A rated ) only have the heating option, just like my old van and no way to cool it down. I just think it's the way things are pushed on us and of course we do tend to be behind the curve in terms of technology in the home.

I've taken the plunge, very happy with it, next is the panels to help with electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

my experience is people who dislike warm weather are generally over-weight/out of shape. they honestly do not know what to wear, and are conscious of stripping off.

on the other hand people who look after themselves and keep in shape look forward to hot sunny days. i personally love to run, maintain a decent BMI. i love those long hot sunny days.

it never fails to amuse when i see grossly overweight people trying to get into shape on the hottest day of the summer. it's as if they're thinking "a couple of sweaty jogs in this heat and i'll be looking like Usain Bolt in no time!" LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Not true in my case, never been overweight in my life. In fact I was underweight for a lot of my years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I don't like it. But come the coldest days in winter and I won't like that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

The hot weather is grand if you could sit on your arse in the shade and enjoy it. But working doing physical labour in it is exhausting. Cutting corn yesterday morning when I got a flat wheel on the combine and had to repair it in the field. Wet with sweat and not a happy camper.

Ms

I have a perfect BMI and am no where near overweight but yes I hate hot humid days and I do not enjoy the super bright sun either as I am very light sensitive.

So yes I am delighted that the hot spell is over

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

You really have a multitude of ailments. Most of them no doubt only exist in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I know wishing doesn’t change the weather, but I was really enjoying that warm spell after the rotten summer we’ve had.

Back to wet grey muck now. Who in their right mind would prefer that to gorgeous warm sunny days. Lunatics that’s who!!

I like the sun but I don't like that kind of heat. Very uncomfortable. Today was lovely and sunny but fresher. Perfect.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Thanks. The last 3 days have all been beautiful and I have loved every one of them days. So glad the hot spell is over.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Can we have the sun back please? Perhaps export AMKC to it also?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Had a lovely sleep last night and listening to the rain which didn't stop. I noticed the slight chill about three days ago going into the shop and the skies were a bit clear and i smiled to myself. Today, i see lots of leaves falling. Glad this humid stuff is gone for another few months at least! 😁

That's the way it should be. You can have clear sunny days and a slight chill about, and it's lovely out. Certainly better than the humid muck!

Couldn't sleep with a blanket last week and now I pulled out the duvet and hot water bottle tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Definite Autumnal chill this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Advertisement
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Grand.

If you feel a bit chilly get out a jumper and don't touch those heating controls until the last week of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I looked at them last night... it was close run thing but did not switch on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It's lovely. I don't know how anyone likes being a sweaty mess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement