Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Very Short Treks (Animated ~ TAS 50th) ~~ Possible Spoilers?

• 08-09-2023 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭

10:00 am PT which is 18:00 GMT.

Posting this here in preparation for the episodes, and somewhere to share them and discuss without them getting lost in the general thread.

Hoping they will also be available internationally

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭corkie

Star Trek: very Short Treks | Skin a Cat | StarTrek.com

^^ Link includes a Comic Chapter

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eadrom

Well that wasn’t very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ahhh I laughed; totally surreal but it made me chuckle the more ludicrous it got. And props to Ethan Peck for lending his voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

I enjoyed it. Light simple little trek romp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Twas funny enough. The opening and battle animation were great too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The basic joke is okay, but it gets stretched out a bit too far.

Nice recreation of the 70s animation syle though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

OK not what I expected but it was funny even if it was a bit dragged out lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wasn't that familiar with the Animated Series, I wasn't aware of the character M'Ress. Ahem. My Google search history will never be the same, lol. No, I have no shame.

M'Ress Played by: Majel Barrett

New characters, such as Arex and M'Ress, were also featured. The show was the most expensive animated show on the air at the time, primarily because six "name" actors from Star Trek: The Original Series provided the voices for their characters.

• Advertisement

Oh, my searches went way further than that corkie 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well that was a case of "all our professional writers are on strike, get us a couple of 8 year olds who aren't afraid of a bit of scab labour" if ever there was one.

I believe these where produced well before the strikes, so can't be used as an excuse, how else would they have got the below to give their voice?

voiced by cast members from across the Star Trek universe, including icons Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker, Doug Jones as Saru and Armin Shimerman as Quark, and a new line-up of exciting voices, including Ethan Peck as Spock, Gates McFadden as Dr. Beverly Crusher, Celia Rose Gooding as Uhura, Connor Trinneer as Trip Tucker, Bruce Horak as Hemmer, Noël Wells as Tendi and the legendary George Takei as Sulu.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Animated series aren't covered by the strikes apparently.

it is "anything but canon".

At least they are getting wiki page as officially Star Trek.

The captain tells M'Ress there's no time to argue, because they have "bigger fish to fry."

"You want to fry me?!"

This, in turn, offends an Antedian ensign.

I knew we had seen that species in live action. Assassins in (TNG: "Manhunt") also in (LD: "An Embarrassment Of Dooplers")

Post edited by corkie on

Funnier than the first, but that's possibly one of the darkest pieces of trek ever.

Also, Saru in a future uniform? That seems too deliberate given the care shown otherwise.

Oh man, that had a dark streak; I know deadpan Spock not getting humour has been done - but not this macabre!

Also, I miss Hemmer. He was a good character and it's a shame he was chosen as the Dramatic Death of season 1.

Oh that was great.

Hemmer was (like Shaw) a missed opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Okay that was a lot better than the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Ah, much better that second one. First one felt like a massively missed opportunity. So many creative people love Trek and would kill for the chance to write for it. Second one seems to 'get it' a little more. No problem with the occasional comic moment in Trek but not to the extent of LD for me, although anything that gets more people into Star Trek, the better.

Short Treks would be a great vehicle to try out some new writers, new ideas, cast the net a little wider to find new directions. All while staying 'safe' and keeping the long term fans on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eadrom

That was pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Much better than the first episode (which I've seen described as a SNL sketch that just keeps going for too long). Spock's line of "She has dumped me for other men many times" got a good laugh out of me.

That last one didn't work for me. The core concept isn't bad, but it goes too heavy on the kids gross out humour too quickly. If they had ramped up more subtly or kept more to the vein of microwaving fish it might have landed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I liked Rikers solution to that. This specious are not clean destroy their warp drive and get the hell back out if here. They seemed far too stupid to develop warp drive if you ask me. Riker made the right decision. Well done Riker.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This is why they do pre-contact prep

Oof that Worst Contact one was terrible: nothing inherently wrong with gross out humour, but there is an art to it all the same; this was more like a bad sketch comedy set, the gag being to just say the lines without any kind of wit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Star Trek is dead....

Just leave it alone.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Huh? Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds says otherwise.

Advertisement