Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is rugby union only played at weekends?

Options
  • 09-09-2023 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

I'm aware that, in international tournaments of rugby union (e.g. the ongoing World Cup), the matches only take place at weekends, with the first match of some weekends taking place on a Friday night.

Why are rugby union matches never played on Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Probably because the recovery period between games usually requires a week minimum whereas soccer, for example, can tolerate generally playing again after 3-4 days recovery.

So, with that in mind, and that attendance would likely be less mid-week, the weekend is the best time for the games.

Another way to look at it, is the amount of games actually played. Johnny Sexton has had a longer career than most rugby players and still has only played just over 200 career games as a professional. A comparable soccer player (age/profile) could expect 600-800 games throughout his career. English/French players do generally play more than Irish throughout their careers, but still nothing like elite soccer players.

So, less games generally played is another reason why mid-week games do not need to be scheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

A team can't really play any more than once a week so you'd either have all your games at the weekend or all your games during the week.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There are Wednesday and Thursday matches in this World Cup, there’s one this Thursday (France v Uruguay). Previous World Cups had a lot more, but I think they’ve lengthened it by a week to reduce the number.

Going back further, the European Challenge Cup used to always schedule a Thursday night match, this was when Sky had the rights. When BT took over the rights exclusively the slot was done away with because “Thursday Nights are Europa Nights” (sorry, it’s darn catchy) and they needed the channel space (and because BT have generally treated the European Challenge Cup with contempt anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Doctors, stockbrokers, barristers don't work at weekends, that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭poker--addict

There are just 20 teams too, so no need to routinely have midweek games to keep an acceptable calendar footprint. Realistically there are only about 12 countries in the world that could regard themselves as rugby nations.

On the other extreme, there is no shortage of soccer teams, so larger tournaments with busier schedules. The soccer premiership is too big and the World Cup is too big, players complaining, but money talks. Possibly factor in mess at top level of U.K. rugby too with several teams going bankrupt- there just isn't the player pool size to justify too many teams playing too often

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Traveling fans spending big money is also a reason, plus tv rights.

Player welfare is a big topic nowadays, I think 6 days is the shortest turnarounds professionals have now, and routinely complain about it when it happens. A full week is seen as desirable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah the reasons above are accurate. If they played weekends and midweek, they'd need separate teams to play those games.

It takes more than a few days for the bruising to heal up so they'd be piling injury upon injury and it would just lead to serious injury. So ultimately it's a player welfare issue. I love watching rugby, but I admire the players and appreciate they endure a lot of pain for their career and my entertainment. So I'm happy with rugby once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭swiwi_

in the past there were midweek games…at the expense of the minnows who often had to backup 3 or 4 days after their previous game. Now everyone gets decent rest but the tournament is a week longer and games basically between Thursdays and Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I find it refreshing. I wouldn't be the biggest rugby fan usually just watch the internationals but the soccer WC is annoying at the group stage. 2 or 3 games every single day it's overload trying to keep up. I get they've no choice with 32 teams but a week between matches is fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

It's surprising some players ever play again given some of the hits they take. It has become an obscene game where steroid-infused apes seek to humble the opposition with their physicality and commentators revel in colossal collisions.

Oh for the days of David Campese et al when speed & alacrity were valued more than a Tonka truck capacity for physical abuse.

Increased levels of fitness/stamina mean there is no longer any room on the pitch which has become a gridiron minus the padding.

Parents encouraging kids to play this insane game should have their heads read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You can enjoy Cheslin Kolbe and Kurt Lee Arendse go up against Darcy Graham this afternoon if you're pining for the days of small, fast, skilful players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Problems already getting fans into stadiums including our own and the English match with hundreds missing KO. Couple this with last years champs lesgue final (short notice I know) you wonder what's going on there. I dont want to sound cynical but are they using the WC as some kind of dry run for the olympics. Also Joe Molloy mentioned yesterday on virgin that the reason the draw was done so far in advance was to get the tickets out early so as not to clash with selling olympic tickets. This isn't fair if it'd true it's treating it like a Mickey mouse tournament.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I imagine if the world cup ever expands to 24 teams we will go back to mid week matches. We have had them in every other tournament but it's just not possible with 5 team pools. You can't have 4 day turnarounds - especially not against a team coming off 8 days rest.

At the moment it's difficult to get 20 competitive teams. You saw the Ireland Romania game and Portugal and Chile are similarly poor. Doubt they'll want to expand it even if they could. Midweek games would be unfair on players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Midweek games are fine if you’re only playing midweek games.

Now you could argue that would be unfair on fans which might be a reasonable point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Maybe it goes back to when Rugby wasn't a professional game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Because rugby fans have important jobs to be doing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mid-week games would be common enough for tours like the Lions or even Ireland to New Zealand last year but rarely would there be players involved in both games. The 2015 RWC had mid-week games but you ended up with some teams playing 3 games within 2 weeks and others a game a week which was unfair but wasn't really a big issue because none of the Tier 1 nations played mid-week.

Yeah good point. Back in the day, rugby league was well paid and union was unpaid. So the league lads could potentially be professional rugby players but the union lads had to have day jobs. So union games were only going to be at the weekend when most working people are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Advertisement

Maybe the 80s as well? On a semi-pro basis at the very least? I don't pretend to know. I'm going off my FIL's stories of blokes he worked on sites with who also played for the Saints and Wigans and Warringtons. As he tells it, the men could almost double their tradesman's wage by playing for the top teams.

my FIL is a good source of information, but wouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good story. So I'll take your word for it if you're confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i suppose its down to the definition of well paid - i.e if they were working on sites then i would argue they weren't well paid as they had to keep their day jobs. although you could argue they were well paid for being semi-pro

pedantic i know

either way, there were few full time pros in league until the early/mid 90s. and in relation to league being played on weekdays, im pretty sure the BBC floodlit trophy back in the day was started to have some sport to be shown midweek?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

NPC this season is playing midweek games

counties v canterbury are playing tomorrow evening after both teams played 4 days previous

Advertisement