Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland

Options
  • 10-09-2023 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2 Alan4323

Hi, first time poster here. I am considering moving to Ireland from England. I am British. I don't really fancy moving to Dublin because it is too expensive. Thinking about Cork, Galway, Limerick, maybe. Planning a trip to see Ireland because I haven't been since I was a kid. I have funds to buy a house over there and hopefully I can find a job and what not. Can anyone advise me how long it takes to purchase a property over there? Here in England, it takes ages and sometimes it doesn't go through for whatever reason. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Like everywhere, it varies considerably. I'd recommend asking estate agents while you're in an area of interest. You'll get all kinds of extremes in replies here by the very nature of discussion forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I've bought and sold in both the UK and Ireland, overall I'd say the process is very similar. The main difference compared to the UK is that chains don't really happen here, so if you find somewhere you like you're likely not dependant on them finding somewhere else themselves

Cork and Galway are both really nice. Personally I prefer Galway, but you'd probably want to consider job availability, depending what you do. I don't know Limerick that well

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Time from Sale Agreed to Closing.

8 weeks if everything runs perfectly (I'd say that rarely happens)

12 weeks is more normal, typical.

More than that is not unusual.

• Lots of nice places, especially around the coast of Ireland. Galway is fabulous and has ready access to the stunning Connemara beaches & mountains, and the Burren in neighbouring Co. Clare. The city has great swimming beaches too. Cork is lovely, access to lovely coastal spots, weekends away in West Cork etc. other places to consider might be Tralee or Killarney area in Kerry, Ennis in County Clare, Westport, Castlebar or Ballina in Mayo, Sligo town, or up in more remote Donegal. County Leitrim is said to be the cheapest place to buy, you get more bang for your buck, and there are lovely spots around there. I also know that Kilkenny residents love their mini medieval city.

Btw way back in 2015, I closed the sale of a deceased relative’s house in 6 weeks from sale agreed, the new owners wanted to be in for Christmas, got a good price, probate took little time too with no hitches, but that was very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alan4323

Thank you for the responses! Very much appreciated. Hopefully I can make a trip before the weather turns winterish. Over 30c here today and quite unpleasant for me. I prefer the cooler temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Hopefully you prefer the rain if you move to the West! 😂

Advertisement