Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rawhide bones

Options
  • 10-09-2023 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭

Are rawhide bones dangerous for puppies/dogs ... causing blockages etc .. ? I think they are, but someone I know with a puppy says otherwise ...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It’s not supposed to be great for dogs as it can cause choking or intestinal blockages. There are some concerns around chemicals in it as well. But all the pet shops sell loads of rawhide products so it makes it very hard to know. We’ve given our dog some rawhide chews and she loved them, but 99% of the time we’d avoid it just in case.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Rawhide chews that are shaped into a bone shape, where the ends are tied into a knot, are lethal for blockages.

It has also gone through a fair bit of processing, and I would be VERY careful where it is sourced from. If the animal the rawhide comes from is from outside the EU, there's a significant chance that there are huge question marks over the welfare of that animal.

I never, ever feed it. Other dried meat products sick as tripe, tendons, scalp, pizzle, as long as they are from the EU, and preferably Ireland, are all I'll consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Be careful too of nylabones etc - Rory used to have a mad chewing session in the evenings.. until I noticed what I thought was staining on his teeth.. I asked the vet about it and it’s actually where he damaged the enamel chewing 😬🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Thanks for all the great info here. Definitely no more rawhide bones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hi, asking again for suitable chews for puppies and dogs for someone. The dog is chewing pieces of soft wood now. I guess that's also a no-no as regards splinters.

I see mention of "tripe, tendons, scalp, pizzle, as long as they are from the EU, and preferably Ireland, are all I'll consider." above. Thanks for that.

Any more recommendations.

The dog also has a kong and gets chew sticks and carrots.

Someone also mentioned deer antlers.

And I guess old fashioned meat bones are out as they can splinter or ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I do give to my dogs big raw beef bones, but I keep watching them. Certainly don't let them eat too much. Never cooked bones. Introduce slowly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would say pretty much anything from here would be fine: https://www.fetchyourpetneeds.ie/natural-dog-treats/

We buy Atlas & Tail long-lasting chews for our golden retriever and she loves them. Beef lasts the longest, but you've got proteins like venison and goat for variety/sensitive tummies. Yak chews are great. Our girl totally ignored the deer antler we got her, but she loves dried bones. We gave her raw bones when she was younger and they A) smelled to high heavens, and B) gave her a very runny tummy so proceed with caution there. But in general, raw meat bones (never cooked) are fine because they're soft. If you can stomach it, you can give them raw necks and wings and things.

Petstop and maybe other shops have wood sticks that are designed to be soft enough for chewing. I think they are coffee wood or olive wood maybe? Here's one: https://www.petstop.ie/products/olive-wood-dog-chew Although our girl loves chewing sticks, and she wasn't bothered with one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

mine loves bamboodles, have a selection of them around..also buffalo horn and deer antler if she can't find her favourite

Advertisement