Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Football/Soccer an Industry?

• 10-09-2023 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

You here about all the stupid transfers or whatever they are called like a player for 90 million or some stupid sick money like that.

It's an absolute disgrace and it's the reason I will never watch any of it except for when Ireland play like now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

It’s absolutely an industry, and without that industry, you wouldn’t be watching Ireland now.

You’re what’s known as a fair weather supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

The thread title seems completely disconnected from the post. Anyway…yes it’s an industry. Agree that the transfer fees are insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes, it's a multi billion pound industry, that most countries in the world contribute to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭waywill1966

I’ve given up on English football because there is so much money in it now and the players at certain clubs aren’t motivated enough to perform, they know they will get paid whatever!

I started watching Scottish football on BBC Scotland at the weekends. The quality may not be up to much but there is commitment and passion from the players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe ye I like fair weather alright. No heat spells or crazy cold just nice mild weather lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Perhaps try the LOI too? If you have a local team, I'm sure they'd welcome your support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Any professional sport has an industry built up around it.

I’ve been to three different stadiums in the UK, corporate side and you get a much better appreciation of the machinations and number of people involved in any given match day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

BBC Scotland showed the European club matches involving Aberdeen, Rangers, Hearts and Hibs. Hibs played Aston Villa in the qualifying round for the group stages of the Conference League. Villa won 5-0 in Edinburgh giving Hibs the complete runaround. Commitment is a given at all levels, but quality has to be paid for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course it is. What's gas is that they showed their hand with that European Super League stunt and everything just carried on as normal.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Obscene obnoxious amounts of money for pampered princesses who fall over at the slightest bit of contact and have a career ending injury until it's time to get back up a minute or two later. Inbetween the panto performances, you get to see the ball being passed back and forth and back and forth with nothing happening for 95% of the game. Sometimes there's a shot. And their reactions to being booked and their general attitude towards the ref makes them out to be the most childish of millionaires in the world. Horrible sport played by mostly horrible people who wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire. Just can't understand why so many people watch this crap.

But, each to their own. I don't watch tv anymore so it doesn't affect me like it used to. Same applies to the king of bandwagon sports; rugby. Such a slow, boring game with the most stupid of events/whatever you call it, the scrum. American football would be 10x better if it wasn't for the ads. The only sports I could actually watch a full game of is top tier hurling and top tier basketball. Fast sports, always something happening, can't look away for a minute. You could host a full Sunday roast during a soccer match and you'll have missed nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That's the nature of the game, and human nature, which tries to gain an advantage by fair means or foul. If you can only get satisfaction from fast moving games with dozens of scores, then soccer is obviously not for you. When teams are well matched, defences pride themselves on trying to keep clean sheets. But when they are mismatched like Portugal v Luxembourg today, you can get a 9-0 result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nah, it's just boring. Call it whatever you want, but it bores me like nothing else. I think it should bring in the rule my father used to say, once it goes past half way it can't be brought back. Reduce the pitch size, get rid of 4 from every team, and have a shot timer. Basically, make it not-soccer. The part that irks me the most though is when people say "my" team. Yeah, "your" team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Everlong1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

‘Will we watch the 22 millionaires this evening?’

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

Why not let the players pick the ball up in that case, and complete the switch to basketball. As for “my team”, well my team is “my team”. It’s my local team, which those who follow English teams can’t say. There is nothing to compare with supporting your own local team. Football is a great game in my view, but not everyone will enjoy it. Such is life. I do agree though, that the money at the top end of the game is obscene now. It would be no harm if that particular bubble burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Personally I’m a massive League of Ireland fan, it’s a small little league, so no exorbitant amounts of money in it and the sense of enjoyment and community I get from supporting my local side and going to the matches is great. That’s the way to do soccer in my opinion. I’ll watch a Premiership or Champions League match if it’s on but wouldn’t actively follow it by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not quite...

industry, group of productive enterprises or organizations that produce or supply goods, services, or sources of income. In economics, industries are generally classified as primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary;

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement