Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colonoscopy

Options
  • 10-09-2023 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a Colonoscopy on Wednesday and I am anxious as hell. I'm dreading the whole thing from taking the prep the evening before. I've collected the prep from the hospital.

It's so easy to get a perforation if they're not careful. This happened to my mother and she was left bed bound. This has me very worried. I'm just really stressed out about the whole thing. I'll be glad when it's over with.

There are other threads on the matter when I searched but they are all closed. A few horror stories there too....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

Without sounding flippant, I’ve had loads of then, and you’ll be grand.

Taking the prep is a pain. Just invoke the 60 second rule ( never be more than 1 minute away from a toilet-:)

The procedure itself is easy. You’ll be half anesthesised - pardon the spelling- and won’t really feel a lot.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I've had many colonoscopies over the years. While not nice, it's simple, short and painless. I would say that compared to other invasive procedures it's a doddle. Incidences of preforation are a fraction of a tenth of a percent to a fraction of one percent.

If they don't offer a sedative ask for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Honestly the preps are the worse part,Ive had three in 18 months ,the procedure is the easiest part for me ,I was unfortunate to under go one without any Anastetic during an emergency which wasn't to bad pain wise either not painless but I've definitely had worse pain,

The best solution for the preps is gulp it down ,some of the nurses recommended adding miwadi/Robinson's blackcurrant to the water to make the solution more palatable,I didn't find it helped at all ,

Try not to over think it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes ask for a relaxer sedative

Good Luck

I had one and it was more embarrassing than uncomfortable but I had worked myself up before about it but all ok on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Aurelian

It's grand! The prep is a bit annoying but you won't even know you've had the procedure at all.

Don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The prep is definitely the worst aspect. Wear something like a tracksuit bottoms, because speed will likely be of the essence and you don't want to be fiddling with buttons.

I'd agree with everyone else about the sedation, but you won't be able to drive if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

I had one a few years back and being honest it wasn't as bad as expected.

Regarding the prep before hand I'll give you some advice I was given.

Cut down on your food intake before hand and then you have less to pass when clearing your system for the procedure.

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭laoismanj

I had one in january. The prep is like lemon flavoured sea water from a rundown uk seaside resort. Think bridlington! This will turn you into a slurry spreader in mere moments, try taking a chair from the kitchen and leaving it at the toilet door, make sure your phone is well charged

As for the procedure its grand, youll be off your tìts.

You will fart like a demon afterwards, like 6-10 second farts that sound like you are calling a mallard

I was in pain when the sedative wore off but i had biopsys and polyps removed. A hot water bottle on your hole will help you to sleep here, seriously the hot water bottle is fantastic!

Anyway best of luck, dont worry, its not as bad as you think it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

@laoismanj , thanks for the funniest description I've read in ages!

I had the procedure in May, prep was worse than the procedure for me. I did as another poster (and the HSE leaflet) suggested, ate less and ate low fibre foods for a few days beforehand.

I wasn't physically able to take the 2nd dose of prep (on the morning of my afternoon procedure), but the dose the previous evening had done all the work, so I didn't need to go through it.

I had the sedation, and I remember very little of what went on during the procedure.

Best of luck, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Are you awake for the colonoscopy? I had heard you were but a friend got it done and she was asleep for it. I'm getting it done in a couple of months and really quite nervous about it. Don't really want to get it done as the doctor is 99% certain it's IBS (the tablets prescribed are working brilliantly) but wants to rule out other possible conditions first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's a sedative, not a full anaesthetic, you won't be actually asleep.

But I've had a few of them, was absolutely conked out for all except the last one when I think I might have been vaguely aware of what was going on, but I can't remember a single thing about it now.

Mostly the staff have to come and thump me awake and tell me to GTFO of the bed, the next patient is waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Thanks for the replies. I realise I have myself worked up.

I'm following the instructions and limiting my food intake starting tomorrow. And eating nothing from the evening before. And taking the prep earlier.

I will definitely ask for a sedative but what would happen if your lift couldn't turn up? Sure they'd have to let you home.

Rationally I know these people do loads of these every week with nothing going wrong. I'm worried about my dignity also. Again the Drs and nurses have seen it all.

Would you mind reporting back on how you get on? :) Re the lift, my friend had this procedure done recently and was going to get a taxi. She told the hospital this - they refused to let her leave in a taxi, so she was left waiting around for a few hours as had to ring for a coworker to pick her up. I'm not sure as to the reasoning as to why they didn't want her leaving in a taxi though!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yes, I've always had to arrange for a family member to collect me. They won't entertain the notion of you leaving under your own steam at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Beefcake82

Ive had a couple colonoscopies, the sedative does help a lot, i also found listening to meditation music before heading down for exam help also.

As for the prep, it does help to add some apple, cranberry or orange juice to make it more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had two colonoscopies, and was sedated both times. I don't recall even having any other option to be honest.

Both times, and on other occasions when I've been sedated for other procedures, it's effectively been the same as anaesthesia. I've gone out completely and came too later in the ward. Maybe it affects different people in different ways, I don't know.

Yes I'll report back. I would have liked to have something like this.

I think you're right about the taxi situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I had it done in January. The prep is the most tedious bit. The colonoscopy was grand. Lovely mellow feeling after with tea and toast.

I wonder why, even if it's a taxi. I can understand them not wanting you to drive, but not wanting you to even leave in a taxi seems bizarre. I suppose they might be afraid some people would lie about getting a taxi!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Taxi driver can't be responsible for you if anything happens on the way home

Had one without sedative once. The pain wasn't worth getting home quicker.

• Advertisement

In the hospital I attended, I was given a hospital gown and a pair of paper pants with a strategically placed opening at the back. Nothing is on display, and as you've said, staff have seen it all before.

You have to be accompanied home after sedation, and should have someone with you for 24 hours just in case of any after effects.

It says to start the first dose at 7pm. I've started a bit earlier. Haven't had anything to eat since this morning and watching my diet the past few days.

The sachets are vile. Have added orange to it. Don't know how I'm gonna get through 1 litre. Fairly stressed here. Nothing happening yet. 2nd dose at 10pm. Will take it earlier.

Had to stop my private health insurance so this is a public appointment. Will probably have to wait ages tomorrow. It will be like a cattle market. Fairly anxious about the whole situation.

....Just breathe....

Mine was a public appointment, there was some waiting around, but not too much. I was waiting in a single room (where I also changed clothes), so it wasn't too bad.

The wait for results afterwards took longer!

Good luck

Yesterday evening was very unpleaseant but the actual procedure was grand. Just a bit uncomfortable. I'm a bit confused about the sedative. I was given it in a cannula. I was alert for everything. Not one bit sleepy. I don't think it worked at all.

There was a problem with my lift home so there was a bit of a flap about that.

They took a few biopsys but were able to tell that it wasn't cancerous.

I'm really glad I got it checked out but I hope I don't have to get another one any time soon. The dignity pants are great. They helped.

Advertisement