Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change to derogation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭alps

Grey water is household waste not added to sewage system (showers, baths, sinks, dishwashers, washing machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭893bet

Based on chemicals detected I think it would be fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It is. I think they can test on how the nitrate is bound to the carbon or if it is. Some spot in the US test to determine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Well if there is no urban centers above the test point it's fairly easy. That is what you do with sampling you test at different points. If you test enough you get an overall picture.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On waterlevel.ie you can see when the sewage is let off in the waterways.

On the Slaney at enniscorthy and tullow it starts at 7am and continues till 4pm.

On the Barrow at Carlow it's the very same starts at 7am and continues till 4pm every day.

I haven't looked at other sites.

Voltage is used as a measurement for pollution. The more nutrients in the water the less resistance and the higher the reading.

• Advertisement

Mi ister McConalogue fires a shot across the bows of lads illegally spreading slurry. He makes the point that no farmer should have full tanks in September something many of us agree with.

Slava Ukrainii

He's not up with the weather over the summer so. In any normal year, most tanks would be near empty coming to the closed period. What's the betting this year will be used as a stick to restrict even more?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

He's just setting the narrative for derogation been scraped more like, and come 2026, he has his scapegoats to fall back-on its theatrical bulls**t from Charlie as usual, the man couldn't lie straight in the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

There were plenty of opportunities for everyone to get slurry spread since last February. I was able to travel my wettest fields with the slurry tank at the end of feb

Some lads In this country just don’t know how to make the best of an opportunity to get work done instead of putting it on the long finger

The closing date for slurry is for when it can’t be spread, it’s not a target date for lads to get their slurry out as seems the attitude in this country

There was no farm that was not travelable in late May to mid/late June this year.

There is no proactiveness with some regarding slurry....maybe the cost of it plays into this somewhat.

• Advertisement

Having somewhere to put it when conditions are right plays a part, no point going to grazing ground if all you have is a splash plate, and with silage been tossed around all year by the weather didn't help. When places were available for slurry the were quite often saturated or under water.

Very easy to say that no farmer should have all slurry spread, but weather varies all over the country, land owned and land type varies all over the country, the machinery owned varies from farm to farm(4wd/2wd tractors, small/big tyres on tanker, breakdowns, etc.)

Then if you do have to fall back on a contractor while you normally wouldn't use one, they put you to the back of the queue in favour of regular customers understandably.

Kinda getting sick of hearing this "There's no excuse" bullshit been thrown out there the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Well regardless of what he says, I have about 25000 gallons of parlour/ yard washings. Yes they are in an isolated tank and will be spread before the parlour washings deadline.

Aye but maybe it all wasn't used then. Some being kept for after second cut, following cattle on grazed ground, keeping for tillage, etc. And the subsequent weather that came made getting it out much more difficult. It's very simple to say we'd a couple of weeks dry weather and tanks should be emptied. That's fine, but not what may be required on many farms depending on differing situations.

Darragh McCollough has a different outlook on the derogation reduction and see it as a good idea

Slava Ukrainii

Has Darragh put up those tents for the North Africans and lobbied for below minimum wage rates yet?

When you are attacking the messenger instead of debating the point he is making you are losing. Darragh point regarding the minimum wage are valid whether you agree with him or not.

I can understand the necessity to increase the minimum wage. However I can understand the issue some exporting and domestic companies have with that.

The rate rise for next year is over to 12% and last year's was over 6%. That is a serious hike in costs for any company. I consider the minimum wage very necessary it prevents exploitation of workers and a decent rate encourages people not to be unemployed.

However some business's do not just compete in the vacuum of the Irish economy. Darragh exports flowers. Take Spain the minimum wage is less than 7/ hour at present. I am not advocating we go there but if you are competing against that you need saving elsewhere.

When you add in there climate is my h warmer than ours you understand the way there tourism sector is so much more competitive than ours. Go in for pub grub and it's 17+ for a main course, 8+ for deserts a d starters are 8-12+ and portion sizers have dropped. All these will increase by 6-10% this year depending on energy and food prices.

However this has nothing to do with the derogation or the article he wrote

Slava Ukrainii

One, Darragh is in a business of farming that has higher nitrate release to waterways than any dairy farming. So it's in his business to not draw attention to that but to appear aloof from the sidelines writing about other's business.

Two. He's not a great individual and he's the very same as every veg or fruit grower in the western hemisphere depending on foreign cheap labour to make his living. If he was employing plumbers Bass you'd have down to the cent what they should be paid. Instead of what your position because he's Darragh in what they should not be paid.

Three. It's behind a paywall and I only got the first few paragraphs of his hurling on the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Agree fully here. I’d be fairly well organised with slurry and I got caught out a bit this year. Emptied all tanks in feb but cattle not out till nearly May due to the weather so they were a third to nearly a half by the time the cattle went out.

Weather just fooked me up at every chance or if not, I was doing other jobs if a weather break came.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It's obvious by the article that Darragh has never been to Timoleague. Either his ignorance on this is apalling or he's poviting to take the limelight of somewhere else.

Timoleage clearly shows rising numbers of cows, 90% to top derogataion levels, 42% with cows in top band, ALL THE WHILE water quality improving.

Farmers run 80 cows, utilise 14 tonnes of grass. At a feed rate of 800kg ration they can carry 2.9 of a stocking rate with no other bought in feed.....Thats 268 with middle band cows..

It's purely I've plenty, what are you complaining about article.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Nevermind the fact that some of the slurry that was in tanks on the 1 St of October wasn't in tanks the first of Sept

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Nobody is arguing that there will not be some slurry to spread before the closing date. However many lads had full tanks since last Spring. Not too far from me is a dairy farm that had fairly full tanks and he was spreading last week.

He was unwilling to pay a contractor during the summer and he was using a splash plate spreading. On the other side is another dairy operator who's father was sick during the early summer. He has his own dribble bar. However he knew he would struggle to get it out and got a contractor for a day after first cut silage.

The problem with too much slurry in September is more than likely lads will have build up grass covers making it hard to get area's to spread. If you have to use a contractor every third or fourth year use them.

Everyone can have an excuse.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

https://www.independent.ie/business/dublin-airport-warns-six-nations-charter-flights-and-other-planes-may-not-be-able-to-fly-in-to-dublin/a783141016.html

Dublin Airport warns ‘Six Nations’ charter flights and other planes may not be able to fly in to Dublin

They clearly aren’t too bothered about the Environment……

• Registered Users Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are not really suggesting that an island off Europe should make the running on airline emissions.

We need connectivity for tourism, business and personal visits.

Eventually a global agreement will be made we can do our share then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,072 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Last I checked airplanes werent responsible for leaching nitrates into waterways?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

But they are burning fossil fuel at 35/40,000 ft, which has a much bigger effect than an ICE at ground level.

Thomas Piketty economist, makes the case for banning private jets and a graded carbon tax regime, that stops the elite from gross pollution.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/22/ban-private-jets-to-address-climate-crisis-says-thomas-piketty

Well Darragh on ETTG visits Timoleague next week, so we'll see what he has to say.

Not entirely true. There are nitrogen oxides produced by jet fuel burning. It would enter waterways.

On soil it makes particular emphasis on replacing calcium and potassium in the soil as these leach from nox from jet fuel. It can particularly depress fertility and productivity this way.

They are. Local coop gets cleaned out of urea during cold spells by the Airport that use it for de icing runways..

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Thank God we have the Eu to force us to clean up our act Farmers can't browbeat EU politicians like they can the local politicians

As I stated before the damage done by agricultural industry is a disgrace and any other industry would be facing huge fines

Oh we are being fined only problem is farmers aren't paying the fines the taxpayer is

Farmers in Ireland are not living in the real-world they are completely cosseted and supported by the hard pressed taxpayer

It's great news for the country at large that the nitrates will not be altered there's only one selfish group not happy

At least now our rivers and lakes which have been destroyed by agricultural activities may have a chance to recover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

What qualifies you to make statements like above?

Sounds to me like bitterness and spite is your motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Take a few deep breaths. Then go for a walk.

Whatever is bothering you about the modern world, farmers are not your enemy.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement