Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change to derogation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭xl500

I don't need any qualification I just need to read the reports our waterways are destroyed by agricultural activities

It's a disgrace

They may not be my enemy but they certainly are the waterways enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ah here. Chill the beans

1. Agriculture are actually lowering emissions. No other industry is. And if the powers that be get their finger out and actually calculate the sequestration of carbon on agricultural land, every other industry is going to be shown to be absolute louts in the emissions game. It's why the likes of the UAE have bough land mass the size of the UK so they can "offset" their emissions somewhere else.
    2. Farmers are taxpayers too. Supports farmers receive are for a) keeping high quality cheap food flowing and b) for undertaking environmental schemes. The derogation change will mean lower income on farms now and if anything, the taxpayer and EU will need to step in and pay more. Ironic isn't it?
    3. Nitrates across the country won't improve due to a subset of farms reducing cow numbers, or by exporting their slurry, or by taking on additional land. The latter 2 means the same N is produced and it will still have to go somewhere
    4. Rivers and lakes may improve, but it won't be because a subset of farms reduce cows, or expand their landholding (both are options). Farming practices, weather, soil types, etc play a bigger role according to research done by Teagasc. Let's not forget Uisce Eireann are pumping raw sewage into waters in 18 locations constantly, more when it rains. Lets not forget that parts of Wicklow with no cows is showing no water improvements thanks to forestry (Leitrim the same). Lets not forget that tillage is responsible for higher Nitrate leaching than dairy.

Carry on believing the spin though. But don't be expecting to be gloating and not be pulled up on your false beliefs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'd say go back and read the reports again with an open mind.

You are coming across as a troll here.

No gloating but I can only presume you have a vested interest

And again why should the EU and taxpayer have to step in and support farmer's they don't do it for a factory that can't be efficient

Again our waterways are destroyed mainly by agricultural activities

• Advertisement

I have a very open mind and it's clear our waterways are destroyed and it's mainly due to agricultural activities and if you want to call me a troll to try to discredit me well again I can only presume you also have a vested interest in continuing to pollute

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

He didn’t say eubwould have to support farmers. He said farmers reducing output will be paying less tax which means less income for government

farmers pay a lot of tax, you do know that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭fulldnod

• Advertisement

I think you might want to read it again he did indeed say EU would have to step in and support farmer's

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Jack98

Farmers pay no tax and they aren’t subsidized by the EU and taxpayers to ensure food security by making food affordable everyone knows that pal lol

Don't be assuming.

EU and taxpayer steps in all the time. There's big tax breaks, welfare, grants, subsidies, etc across the board.

Our waterways are among the best in Europe.

Care to back that up?

Or where can we see the data?

I did. The taxpayer would support those whose income is eroded by virtue of government decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭leoch

Well we're do u think ur shite end up then u arse hloe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭alps

And your chyte gets taken to the river for free..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

@xl500 do you use a septic tank or are you connected to mains sewerage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

MOD: .... and here!

@xl500, do not post again in this thread! Disregard this warning and you'll be banned from F&F.

Now, the rest of you! You should know better than to amuse a troll. You may have heard me say this once or twice before.....

@leoch, your comment only serves to give a troll something to counterclaim with. Not at all useful when trying to moderate!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If you can't grasp basic economics and understand the multiplier effect the agricultural economy has on rural towns and villages then god help you, numerous worldwide studies show that for every 1 dollar/euro a dairy cow generates in gross income for the farmer, this has a multiplier effect from 5-7 times that amount in the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

It's true that in the intensive diaring areas cattle are the primary source of waterways pollution. The EU has been monitoring this situation for decades, and they finally lost patience with Irish farmers and politicians that they were going to address the issue. They removed the derogation for this reason.

In the rest of Ireland stocking rates have been falling as the incentives to overstock have been removed. In much of the west cattle have been replaced by sheep ( who are far less polluting) because they are easier to manage and lighter on waterlogged land. This is the primary reason why water quality had been improving in these areas.

Removing the derogation was the appropriate way to address water catchment pollution in the intensive cattle areas. The acceptance in the Irish population that this was the correct thing to do is extremely high so farmers protests on this issue will get zero traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

you are taxed on PROFIT. Farmers on the whole make very little profit, well over half make less than 10k. That's why the tax figures are low. Its not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The same could be said of any farming enterprise. In the intensive tillage areas tillage are the primary source of water pollution. In the sheep areas like you mentioned sheep are now the primary source of water pollution.

The EU didn't lose patience it was the dept of agriculture and the ministers failure to put any case together and letting deadlines lapse that led the commissioner to believe there was no interest from the Irish side. The dept have been changing their ranks to more anti animal agriculture in recent years. I know as there's a fert and chem sales yard where employees are moving from to be employed in the dept. If you are anti dairy and anti animal you'll be hired by the dept.

Timoleague showed reductions in N in water and an increase in animals. But the commissioner has not been briefed on this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Just to add another case: I'm in an intensive dairy area with the river Mahon running thru the middle of us. That river supplies drinking water to much of Waterford city. The derogation is staying at 250kg for this area according to the EPA's naughty map.

Crude general statements like sheep = good, cows = bad do nothing to help waterways.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lostkeys

That may very well be the reason but all that was said was farmer's don't pay a lot of tax the reason for this are many but it's still a fact they don't pay a lot of tax

Ya don't know much about revenue either it seems. Tax is paid based on incomes to the business/individual. If the tax take is low, then the money generated was low. i.e low profit. Ya dig? Business pay less tax because they pay wages - wages comes out of the pot before the tax is calculated. The receiver of the wages pays tax on that. Have a read of how the tax system works. It's not simple so take your time.

Thats not true (nice to see ya again after ya were threadbanned over in the Green thread for spouting scutter). Many areas are in the red map, including the forestry in Wicklow. How will they improve water there when there is no cows to cull? It's like the criteria was wrong - show signs of water improvement. Culling cows won't make a difference when soil type, weather, management, land use are all a bigger factor than the #cows on an area.

Fair amount of the NW in the red zone

And a map of the derogation herds

Those NW sheep are doing serious damage.

Oh and look at NW Kerry where the derogation herds are concentrated yet the EPA say water quality improved. It's like there's no correlation at all. Jaysus even a chunk of the Burren is not showing water improvements. Damn rocks

Because they don't make a lot of profit!

Is this hard to understand? Browse this thread and you'll see people worrying about the 2022 tax bill on the back of a good year of prices, and having to pay it from 2023 monies where prices have collapsed.

Looks to me like a tad over-moderation going on here

Because XL500 posted some differing views they were threatened with a ban whatever happened to lively debate or is that banned as well

All that was said was farmer's don't pay a lot of tax and that's true

The reasons why is of course related to income and profit but it doesn't change the fact they don't pay a lot of tax

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You measure the N level and act accordingly. Accordingly means you want to tell that farmer to have a permanent green cover on the land or increase the carbon level in the soil to hold the N.

Instead we're too busy putting figures on cows when it's the cows and the bio nutrients that increase the carbon that holds the N. So we're now enforcing farmers to export bio nutrients to non livestock farmers and telling the livestock farmers to replace these with artificial fertiliser bought from the merchant where the dept officials did their time. So the artificial gets spread but adds no carbon which increases the chances of leaching on the livestock farms. Which then puts pressure on livestock limits as it's livestock blamed and not the bought in bagged N. So livestock limits are reduced again but then the non livestock farmers loose their imported bio nutrients which causes them to buy from the merchants again which causes them to wear down carbon levels again through the tillage and increase their chances of leaching.

The merchant still sells the same quantities of bagged N but its moved from Billy to jack and back to Billy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭alps

Your first scentence, the backdrop to your beliefs, is apallingly incorrect.

• Advertisement

Worst rivers in Dublin - the home of vegetable production and over a million souls.

And Cork with the best rivers with the most derogation farmers and biggest cow population.

That graph must be backwards :-)

Advertisement