Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Three €60 per month for 0.1mbps upload..

Options
  • 11-09-2023 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭

We live in kilmovee, Co. Mayo, in a rural area and moved broadband from Vodafone ( which had deplorable service) to Three for Wi-Fi broadband 2 years ago. The broadband service has been progressively getting worse and, having just done a speed test with 4 different phones in the house, we are getting 1.1mbps download and 0.1mbps upload, which is obviously unacceptable. Our contract is put in December.

Could someone suggest what steps I should do to address the issue before I give Three a call tomorrow?

Many Thanks, PK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Do the test outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭893bet

Starlink? Cost of the hardware but excellent speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Stop waist money(60!!!) on contract, there are cheaper means for same service - €20/28d PAYG, no contract

What device you have for broadband (router make and model)?

phones are WiFi connected to router - Three support might disregard test on this fact.

if avail, get laptop or PC connected to router directly over Ethernet cable - run test.

Standard procedure Three will tell you to do - restart computers, phones, router.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

As they are providing some service they are meeting the terms of their contract. There is no minimum level a provider has to give so little you can do.

Try some of the coverage maps to see who might be better and then try pay as you go for a month till you find the best one for where you live. Try different parts of the house to see if coverage is better

Also don't load the Sims in the shop, do so at the house as likely the shop location will have good coverage and they can use that to say they provided you with service.

Also do complain as they may be able to adjust to provide better service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭chrisd2019

Talk to those living nearby, though all providers may be poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭muffinhead

If you can you select individual bands on your router try selecting Band 3 and 28. In my experience I've found Band 20 to be slow.

This map may shows Three masts local to you so you may also be able to relocate the router for optimum performance:

Cellmapper.net

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭pjordan

Dunno if they're a runner in East of the county - but they were excellent for me years ago when no other options were available

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

If your speeds are good outside you could buy an outdoor antenna and attach it to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Roscommon border... g'luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement