Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Tomatoes

Options
  • 12-09-2023 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

They're taking a long time to ripen and the biggest one is enormous but it's half red and half manky!! Any idea what the problem is, and can I save the rest?? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 revelino70

Pick the green ones and leave them in a cardboard shoebox with a capsicum pepper in a room temperature area. They should ripen up in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That orangey one looks rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Tie up a couple of over ripe bananas in amongst them and it will push them on in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Over-watering causes tomatoes to split and burst. Try just dampen the ground rather than soaking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Thanks for all replies. To be honest I thought I'd neglected watering them because we've had a lot of rain. We had a downpour yesterday which added to the waterlogging. I'll do as recommended and ripen them indoors. I've two rotten ones, don't want to lose any more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as 10-10-20 says, inconsistent watering can be a bad thing - they get a sudden flush of water and suck it in and the skin splits with the increase in bulk.

Bulk is right, the rotten one in the photo is a monster and could have fed a family had it not rotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

What type are they. We bought what was supposed to be moneymaker seeds but they’re definitely not. Look similar to yours and almost all have started to rot before being fully ripe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Outdoor growing of tomatoes is risky with the unknown weather and with night temps down to 3 or 4 might be starting to die . Fruit might need to be picked and ripened indoors.

My Moneymaker is doing fine but not ripe yet, the other one I can't remember what variety it is. I'll check tomorrow. I've had a few years of good harvest of Moneymaker so I chose it again this year, and they're delicious (when ripe!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

They look kind of like marmande tomatoes

And yes the echo others, inconsistent watering schedule is what splits em.

Currently ripening my crop indoors as my plants were destroyed by storm Betty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭dathi

You know your tomatoes, they are Super Marmande.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This was the first thing i though when i saw that, blight makes the tomatoes go brown on the vine, had it few years ago.

If it is the leaves on that plant (at least - check neighbouring plants) will be splotched with brown spots to various degrees.

If that the case, then you need to pick what's left of your crop and preferably dispose in brown bin or even burn the vines (don't put onto a compost heap) and don't grow tomatoes in that soil for the next three years.

Really hope its not that OP, i had it a few years ago and it ruined the whole crop because i didn't recognise it in time, curse of a thing.

I've also pulled half my crop this year because i thought i saw it coming on again but at least by then i was already in a glut of red ones so not a disaster. Joys of outdoor growing in a wet summer. Next couple of years i'll grow greens in the plot instead.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Xander10

I had a poor year with mine due to the constant heavy rain last month. I think yours if outdoor suffered the same

Indeed folks, a lesson learned. Looks like I'm not the only one either. I had a couple of really good years previously.

Advertisement