Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High pricing for roofing ?

Options
  • 12-09-2023 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I’d been quoted EUR 1,500 by a ‘reputable’ (ie not used by us previously, but a range of reviews were positive by majority).

The quote was emailed on company letterhead, and broadly detailed work agreed following a site visit.

The work (to fix a leak) was removal and replacement of lead flashing (recut into a joining wall), and fibreglass applied to a small section under a window where previously lead work had multiple joints.

I was expecting a day’s work considering the quoted cost. 2 lads turned up in the company’s van (of Brazil/Portuguese background, one of whom had okay English, and who I spoke with throughout):

They were on site from 1200 to 1500, and with an hour’s lunch, we’re working for 2 hours. So approximately 4 man hours.

Materials used, were approx 6m of lead flashing, and approx 2-3 sq m of fibreglass (plus a cutting wheel to seat the flashing):

When completed, I called the company’s contact highlighting the job as done. I mentioned that it had only taken 4 man-hours’ work and asked if the rate quoted would still apply (given short duration and minimal materials used), and the guy said “we have high overheads, so price is as quoted”.

I paid (through gritted teeth, somewhat) but want to leave “fair” and objective feedback for other consumers.

Does the costing and reluctance for the provider to revise downward, appear “sharp practice” in this scenario ?

Would be interested to hear others’ views before leaving feedback.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bog Down

You were quoted for a job and agreed no? Should the company be penalised for being efficient and getting the job done? "I expected a full days work" Would you be happy to pay double if it took them 2 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Considering most people wouldn't a clue about the price of a roofing job l would leave a review to help others make up their own mind .

I'm presuming you are happy with the work done and that the job is fixed , l wouldn't leave any review that's not 5 stars until you are 100% sure you won't need to call them back out .

Im not an expert on roofing but what you have described seems quite expensive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JBinWaterford

It’s a fair comment you make. Although In my experience with trades (tho, less so with roofers admittedly) - it works both ways.

if it’s discovered once into it, that a job is going to need more time/materials, the tradesman will bring this to our attention and give options - which may include agreeing additional work/cost.

Since the job was shorter and used less materials than anticipated, I feel my polite request for the roofer to review the final cost was reasonable, and the refusal less so, considering the cost incurred vs final sum billed.

Appreciate your view however.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You have no comeback if work was as agreed.

The suggested fix may or may not be a suitable repair. It may stop the leak but that doesn't mean it's a correct and longterm repair.

You should have a professional look at it and if substandard, you then have absolute reason to return to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I am not roofer, but the idea of using fibreglass seems so substandard and shoddy. A temporary fix.

• Advertisement

Apparently use of fibreglass is common in roofing. I had a few companies out to quote all of them offered an option using at least a proportion of fibreglass.

I believe it can typically be expected to last 10+ years depending on installation etc.

Anyway, I’m holding off giving feedback pending another visit from the company, as their work hasn’t prevented the leak continuing.

We’ll see how they troubleshoot it and what they propose before either taking it further with them, or engaging with another recommended company locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Ive had a lot of roofing done over the years and can honestly say the roofing profession has the greatest number of cowboys ive ever encountered.

Lots of strange quotes ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand,people telling absolute lies and pulling prices out of their behinds.

Ive had quotes for one job at 650 right up to 2k with each company telling me things that were revealed as complete rubbish.Get many quotes nd ask what needs to be done and compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

In fairness, you need to look at it from the companies side

The two guys had to travel to the job, eat lunch at some stage and drive home

It would be very unlikely that the company could have arranged them to drive to another job on the same day, do it and drive home again

So the company would no matter what have had to pay them for 8 hours each so 16 hours

I know it seems wrong but the company would have taken a hit if they only charged for the time they were working there

A fair point, though I neglected to say it’s a local company (in my own town), so I’d doubt the two lads came far.

Having hired numerous trades over the years, inclusing half a dozen roofers, despite only getting quotes from contractors with multiple and varied high reviews, I’ve never unfortunately had one where I’ve not been left feeling fleeced at worse, or just deceived at best.

But, thanks anyhow - it’s just possibly a factor and I’d not considered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

so,your roof leak still hasnt been fixed?is it a low pitch roof?apparently theres only a few materials you can use for low pitch roofs and fibreglass is one of them

• Advertisement

Yes, the pitch is quite shallow, and indeed more than one contractor suggested fibreglass as part of the proposed remedial work.

In the end, the same guys came back and just applied some sealant (not very neatly / without a mess I think then had to clean off).

Time will tell if it’s effective, and I’ll give it a few months until I help inform others’ contractor choices by leaving fair and objective feedback.

Overall, an underwhelming experience !

Advertisement