Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do about a Labourer entering a room without reason?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

He should be fired. It's a breach of professional trust at best, a questionable motive + trespass could well lead into criminal territory at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Irish Lion

The builder (main lad, boss, contractor, chose your title…) called to me there and he told me that he wouldn’t be using the labourer on the rest of my job. Also he told me that a good labourer is hard to find so he said that he wouldn’t be using him for a few weeks but would use him later in the year.

He apologised again and said he’d be on again tomorrow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have to say, there's some nasty prícks in this thread.

I know, tells a lot about people that they see trespassing with intent and invasion of privacy as no big deal. Very telling

• Advertisement

It is interesting that some people don't see this an invasion of privacy and think its okay to wander around someone else's home without permission and go through stuff.

I get that we all have a curious side of it but there is a level of trust involved that in this case was violated (in my opinion).

Surely this is not acceptable behavior from an adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,603 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Since I'm one of the pricks referred to, I'll explain. It's not ignoring what happened, it's using perspective on the scale of the issue is where we may differ. In this situation, a quiet word with the lad directly would have worked. He'd still finish the job but would behave himself, knowing his card was marked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Edit: I think I may have misunderstood callaway92's post. Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Glurrl

Victim with no forgiveness on the table

Wtf?

Not a shred of forgiveness but maybe that will soften in time.

I do think that some people fail to realise that this wasn’t a mistake, it was an intentional act.

I’m not sure if people would feel like it was as trivial as some have suggested if it was their house, their items being rummaged through, but at the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their opinions and I thank everyone for their input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Dogspaw

I wouldn't employ either of them again. If the boss will take him back the boss's apology is not sincere. And I would tell everyone I know in private but not on Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Back in the 80's when I learning my trade, we were working in someone's house and they'd left the radio on in the kitchen, but it was tuned into RTE radio 1. As none of the owners were at home, myself and the lad who was working with me thought nothing of turning the station over to 2fm rather than listen to the pompous ramblings of Gaybo and Co.

Talk about regretting a rash decision . . The owner arrived home in the evening while we were tidying up, and while he didn't say anything to us directly, he rang our boss that night giving out shite about us being disrespectful and interfering with his personal property.

Our boss ripped us to shreds the next morning and demanded that we apologise to the owner, and he docked us both a days pay. There was a horrible atmosphere at work for a couple of weeks after that incident until our boss eventually cleared the air one teabreak.

Learnt an important lesson though, never touch any clients personal belongings, especially the poxy radio without their express permission.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,398 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The NCT guy changed my radio to country music..... now that's a sackable offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,961 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

In principle. most would be against the death penalty..........but there are limits as your example suggests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wouldn't be happy with a labourer looking around my place when I'm not there (similar reason to you safe in bedroom).

But I also wouldn't have left a labourer at home unsupervised, as that's literally inviting something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 r65

Who knows what he did in the rooms which don't have a camera.

In six months time you might realise you can't lay your hands on some little item, and you'll be wondering if the lad "lifted" it.

Lesson learned about locking doors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

An extreme example of overreaction from client and indeed employer but actually bang on too in some ways - if you want to listen to radio bring your own one. Interfering with anything of the clients property just isn’t on- the kettle, the extension cord the hoover -I’ve had all of those used without my permission in the past- especially the hoover- if you think I’m going to let you use my 380 euro hoover to suck up your builders dust you can fck off !!! 😀

I think the OP has done the right thing here- calling it out to their employer is totally bang on the money - it appears the employer probably doesn’t care as they’re willing to use him again. The guy has got off lucky- I’d be expecting a small discount off the bill or some extra work done for free - the contractor can take it out of the guys wages

Advertisement