Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheeky neighbour or how would you handle this ???

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Your a brave man op putting this up online for the world & it's Mother to contribute too.talk about messing with one's head.

Anyway, I'd speak with my solicitor first, he'll offer to write them a letter stating some common landowner rights. He'll probably suggest personally speaking with them before mailing any letter. Either way you'll know exactly the lay of the land.would to me work out cheaper than 5 odd pages here of opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Banana's.

Keep solicitors well out of this. They're only there to take your money and deal out nothing for it.

The advice is perfect. Have a chat with them make sure the gate or beyond it is secured after the chat. The end. Wayleave is the major concern and you don't want to establish that through use of the gate.

Zero call for solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 micheal98

Ah now don’t be wishing the wife servicing on anyone… break yer heart changing the oil on them…you’d be looking for ages for the sump plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

Very few to be got in my county and small plots of land have lots of buyers...I see one or two sites in poor locations with PP on the market for years with 45k level asking prices ...

Anything decent gets snapped up at much much higher price levels...and I'm of the opinion some of the small plots with no PP are speculative for a house down the line ...although that's a big risk imo

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭GSBellew

The sewer I could understand, but water?

What issue can you possibly have with a private well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I've a similar problem. A piece of ground we lease is a few miles away and I wouldn't have much reason to be around it. One day a few years ago I went for a look to see all was well and in the distance, at the back of the terrace adjoining the field, I noticed a new wall. Jaypers. All the rest of the boundary had tall trees, overgrown whitethorn, bushes, etc, but this patch was gone and a wall erected. I took a few photos and double checked the maps and whatnot to see where the boundary was. Sure enough, the trees were mine. I called into the house and asked and was told firstly it was their trees and they could do what they want. Then I produced the maps and said "No way sir". Then I was told the trees were blocking their sunlight. A closer look around then and I seen they had extended the house towards the trees, thus moving their kitchen/living room into the garden further and hitting the shade sooner. I asked had they sought permission to remove the trees and hedges. Nope. Nor had they permission to even extend the house! I was winning now. I said I'd compromise and leave the wall as long as the trees and things were reinstated. I was told to **** off with myself. Not happy, I put a few whitethorns along the wall myself to let them grow and just last week I went to check earlier this week and they are after clipping the tops of them. I called in and said don't touch them and was told to **** off again.

What will I do next? I'm thinking, get the digger and take down the wall in my field and throw up some barbed wire. And then report the extension to the council. I don't see compromising working here and when that doesn't work, it's escalation time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Report all in that case and don't touch anything yourself. They broke the law with your boundary but also broke planning permission laws that affect county council. Report and keep yourself clean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

There are certain exemptions from planning at the rear of a dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Could be for lawnmowing grass also, goes on alot too, put it on the otherside of the fence so it's not in view from their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Aravo

A few questions. Is this a number of terrace houses. Is each boundary just a whitethorn hedge with trees. Is there anyother type of fence. What do the planning drawings show for the houses. If they are not online the council can request same from their archives. Back then and even now drawings would show dimensions to boundaries. Land registery Q&A will state that they do not determine exact boundary positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

Well if they are after commiting the foul and tell you yo **** off...+ lie through their teeth before that....then document all the way and I suppose legal route ... they should have to pay your costs etc

Would a solicitors letter do the trick dyou think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yeah it's a small estate of terraced houses built in the 60s

The boundary originally was a mound of clay with a fence somewhere around it I'm told. The trees. bushes and stuff were sown by the council at the time outside the boundary. The houses along often took the mound out and built walls or even sheds there behind their house so each on is nearly different. There's wire there between the bushes and the walls/whatever that's probably there 50 years or more.

Don't know what the planning drawings would show. Don't see them online but the maps of the land show it (there was maps done around 15 years ago as there was talk of adding a few more cottages at the end and they'd be buying some of the field but the crash ended that plan) and it's a straight line along the back. The new wall then isn't in line with what was there previously or the neighbours. I'll probably ask the council to see what they say.

It's well documented now I tell ya! Don't want to go the legal route if at all possible and it's a foot or so out into my area. It's the cheek more so than the bit of land which was pretty useless anyway for anything bar whatever wildlife lived in the bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 notthereyet

Is this a wind up or are you serious please tell me your taking the piss. terraced houses that are built since the 60s that there was no clear boundary in the first place only a pile of clay and you know this lad has moved his boundary out 12 inches, my dick is nearly 12 inches FFS cop on to yourself and get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

MOD: Thread closed pending consultation with OP.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

UPDATE:

" OP Lakill Farm thanks everyone for ther constructive advice ,

The OP following the advice here , spoke with the neightbours over the weekend and suggested he will place a permanent electric fence on the field side of the fence and permanently close the gate . The neightbours were delighted when i suggested the fence was to stop cattle scratching off the fence and breaking the posts . "

Thank you everyone

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement