Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google home - "smart modules" for light switches, scenes, motion detection

Options
  • 13-09-2023 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭

Hi - just had a re-wire done. Asked them to use deep back boxes for all switches. I'm trying to "scene-ify" large open plan area with switches for: 3 separate groups of spots (3 dimmable switches), a lighttrack (dimmable), 4 pendants (single switch, dimmable). What smart module that works for Google Home would you recommend for the back box of the light switches to allow to be grouped and "scened"?

Ideally I'd like to execute the scenes via a motion detector based on a timer (like Hue motion detector allows for). Can anyone recommend something for this?

I'd also like to add a smart module to some other lights, e.g. external lights - so "dumb" lights can be timed on/off and can be remotely controlled on/off.

I'm coming from a Hue background, I still intend keeping the Hue bridge if that helps. I find Hue simple and reliable, but expensive, I'm not about to go and replace all the new spots, light tracks etc.

I know I could probably go HA for everything and I may still do this if there's no easy way to address the bold bits above, but not everyone in the house will accept less than perfect reliability 99% of the time....if things start to fail and I talk about YAML and RPi etc she'll blow a gasket.

I'd welcome any recommendations on products you might have - ideally something that works with google home, easily adds scenes, and supports motion detectors. Thanks!

Post edited by BoardsMember on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Seems like Shelly and Sonoff are the best suited - they seem to work with google home. I just need to try work out what is the most reliable.

My open plan 2 x 3 gang switches (2 dimmable one not on each) and 1 x 2 gang dimmer switches. I'm not 100% sure how much space I have in the back boxes. Ideally I'd swap out the existing module(s) with smart one(s), right?

Advertisement