Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irishman decides to mount Brussels statue...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Baybay

He’s not a poor fella, well, not yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

90 million, be cheaper to make a new one sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

He should pay up. Simple as. Apologies and move on with his life. A mistake. Trying to act the ejit.

The line in the article that he said he didnt realise the damage he caused is laughable. He knew full well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fcuking eejit, expensive lesson!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

What is it in the Irish psyche that requires Irish people to make absolute <mod snip> retards out of themselves every time they go abroad looking for attention? You often see it with the football. Intl fans hanging around like deviants outside a lingerie shop in Copenhagen worrying women. The turnip face interrupting an interview in Qatar at the World Cup to go "Je suis baguette" like an absolute simpleton. And the embarrassment that was Euro 2016 with the Irish fans (often men in their thirties and forties) trying to surpass each other with attention seeking acts so they'd go viral.

And you can't escape the Irish anywhere. You could be in a bar in the remotest part of Albania trying to enjoy a beer and a gaggle of them will come in loudly squawking and acting like <mod snip>.

mod

please refrain from abusive language.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That's why the Albanians are all heading for London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Everlong1

It's because they're told from birth that to be Irish means "having a laugh/having the craic/ah sure we're only messing'/don't take anything seriously etc."

I use online dating sites now and again. The amount of women who feel it necessary to stress that "I don't take myself too seriously" is astounding. I've never, ever, understand what this is supposed to mean. Don't take things seriously. Don't take yourself seriously. Meaning what ? I should act like an imbecile? When is it acceptable to take something seriously? If I'm out driving should I take that seriously? Or just ignore the rules of the road completely and drive however I want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"I don't take myself too seriously" is code for "I'm basically a big child".

I'll bet alcohol had no part in this whatsoever...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I took that to mean he was too drunk to show much awareness of what had happened.

Which is believable, because Paddy can't go abroad without drinking to excess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

No lack of law enforcement in Brussels it seems.

Have no sympathy for the guy. He caused damage to public property and should absolutely pay the €17500 it will cost to fix it. He probably thinks it is unfair/ severe etc because if it happened here he would walk away or possibly get a verbal warning or a paltry fine.

Maybe our minister could learn a few things from the belgian authorities about law and order and policing our streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No.

€90m was the cost of the full three year restoration. The estimated cost of the damage "mad b8stard" did is €17,600.

We see this in Dublin during GAA matches. Young men climbing statues as their friends cheer them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

For me, not taking myself too seriously means I know how insignificant I am in the world in the grand scheme of things and I don't have a big ego. Down to Earth, if you like. This is something I would like to see in a partner so why not put it on your dating profile? I couldn't handle someone who does take themselves too seriously, i.e. posts their entire lives on Instagram and is obsessed with their looks, and there are plenty of people out there like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW the €90m was what it cost to renovate the stock exchange. The statue had not cost €90m to restore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

…and that is why, in a nutshell my friends, I can never let myself trust an Irish person of either sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rowantree18

Wonder will he have to pay the 17k - curious as to how it would work in Belgium.

I lived abroad in a country bordering several others. Friends visited and drove off to Austria for the day. I warned them not to mess with the Austrian rules/police. Apparently they were speeding and cameras had picked them up. Had they been locals they'd gave received a postal fine. But the border police (there was a border at the time) informed them of the fine when they stopped at the border. They messed and said they'd no cards or enough money left. The cops said no problem. We'll hold you for 48 hrs as is in our power, until someone comes and pays. If nobody comes it goes to court and you are held until then. You may call your embassy if you wish.

They paid. Wish our gardai had similar power. Stop a lot of messers

Simple.

Get the case to court and summon him to appear , Implement the fine for criminal damage and recoup from him.

sorted.

FFS I was waiting for this.

I'm not having this irish Stereotyping going on. Plenty of other idiots from other countries act the "retard" when away. It's not unique to being Irish.

Your type of post is a uniquely Irish thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Reading this thread, I reckon we should get him home, kill him and then sterilise all the Paddies. They can't be trusted.

• Advertisement

There might have been. And ironically he damaged the building of the Belgian Beer Museum.

"The newly renovated stock exchange building that accommodates the new Belgian Beer World experience only reopened on Saturday. The centre is devoted to Belgian beer culture and includes a beer terrace that can also be visited outside museum hours.

It is not known whether our Irish visitor found inspiration at Belgian Beer World or enjoyed the offerings of the beer terrace or whether other pubs in the vicinity enjoyed his custom."

Maybe they need to raise the price of beer in Belgium. It's cheap I believe in the supermarkets. They should do MUP to prevent this. type of carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The man was arrested not long after the incident in a nearby fast food restaurant and police told Nieuwsblad that he was unaware as to the damage he had caused.

What an absolute muppet. Trying to claim he was unaware of the damage he caused when there is a video of him looking at it.

He should have to pay every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

"I'm not having Irish Stereotyping!"

followed by a negative stereotype of Irish people.

Fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Mind you if he was sampling some of the local beers he might have an excuse.

Some of them are seriously strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

They should leave it as it is, and it will become an even bigger tourist attraction. It would be like trying to stick arms on the Venus de Milo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve traveled extensively for about 25 plus since attaining adulthood.

I have never attempted to scale any monument or building of cultural significance or otherwise….

or indeed attempted to use some effort of careless eejitry to help my ‘mental health’……problem is with gimps of this ilk, they are conditioned to believe that there is no negative connotations or consequences to their behaviour and decisions . Because at home there is nothing in the manner of a deterrent. Just people dying to defend it and them.

these fûckwits are starting to get us a bad rep…. What’s this lad, about 22 ?

spoofing too.. “ not aware of… “. Yeah and he is pictured looking at it. Not two fùcks given…

Ah shur I didn't break it atall.

Ah shur spose sum wan else broke it.

Twas only a bitta craic...etc

Ah but Guard..

I'd bet the farm there was the classic trying to squirm out of trouble card played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Manneken Pissed 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭brokenbad

With gobshites like this lad - no wonder we are labelled as the "drunken Irish" stereotypes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

The majority of Irish stepping foot on an overseas flight have done untold damage to the reputation of Irish nationals in the last three decades, mostly due to their glorification and justification of the abuse of alcohol and losing control of their actions as a result. It's not getting blind drunk on holiday to the point where they're a danger to themselves or others they need to 'blow off steam', it's a long stint with a competent therapist.

Ah jayziz, I need a holiday.

No, you don't. You need professional help in a country where it's greatly stigmatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

If only we could be more like the Middle Eastern lads. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It’s nothing to do with being Irish . He’s a dipstick, irrelevant to his nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

To be honest, when I go abroad, I dislike being around other Irish people. I just don't like being in their company abroad. They're an embarrassment.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe they should have made it out of metal. Poor Molly up in Dubland would be titless if they weren't permanent. The fact that it's just her tits that are shiny emphasises that! Although, they've given her an overall clean to hide that fact, but she had the the most beautiful burnished baps in Dubland for years before being moved!

Lad will end up having to pay. Expensive mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

The guy is obviously a knob but Jesus Christ the amount of hysterical over reactionary comments on this thread is beyond ridiculous. We’re all awful -unts because one lad broke a statue. How sheltered of a life do people lead. It’s beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Irish self hatred is a very strange phenomenon. I don't know if other countries indulge in it to such a strong extent. It must be an inferiority complex of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Looks like someone was trying hard to press em, or buzz um, alright....

Climbing on a statue is a heinous act. Its a pity his thuggery wasn't matched by a similarly unedifying reaction by the police. As that would make for good reading.

Heavy drinking has little to do with it. No breeding. Stone cold sober the likes of him is a lost cause.

Ps did he borrow his girlfriend's hotpants or did he go on holidays when he was 12 and is still there?

Hoping he gets plenty of anguish over it and negative publicity back here. He's a miscreant and a clown. It takes some sh1tbird to climb on a statue. If that applies to you reading, yes you qualify as a grade-A sh1tbird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ignacius

You are all very quick to jump on the Irish as the worst people in the world.

West Brits much. Make sure to tune into Joe Duffy tomorrow for more self flagellation.

Our football and rugby fans have a great reputation. The Irish travel all around the world and are greeted everywhere we go as fun loving respectful people for the most part.

one rotten apple…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Bloody eejits spending so much money on a fairly average statue and leaving it out in the open where any fella can just climb onto it. Surely to feck they could have spent the 90 million on something better like lifting disadvantaged Belgians out of poverty and made a replacement statue using a CNC machine and a few bags of cement

90 million is a lot for a fairly average statue. If money spent is the scale, a good one would probably be around 300 million.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. If the lad damaged the statue, he can pay for it's repair. It's pretty easy not to damage these things. Most people have no problem.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It was on during the lunch here. He was talking to an elderly woman in the rain, down a lane who had two dogs and was asking her about them. No way the lad breaking the statue trumps that sort of prime time entertainment … 👀❌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Tanks be ta jaysus we do be a havin' a rail Dub loike yersel to keeps us up ya date with all the goin's on!

Bleedin' cluchies and their statute climbing!

Sure Dublin and its public monuments has been under siege from de culchies since 1014 when that redneck Brian Boru went up on the statue of Sitric Silkbeard!

Johnny Fortycoats must be spinning in his grave.

I assume they had a professional do it, they didn't go down to Halfords and pick up glue and tin of car body filler and have a crack at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

The thing I find odd is after a week he has not been identified in the mainstream or the alternative media. Not that I want to know who he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

90 million was the cost of renovating the entire building. The statue, big as it is, is just one very small part of the 90 million renovation project.

17,600 is the cost of repairing the damage to the statue.

Play silly games, win silly prizes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement