Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigable gig service within a coffee shop

Options
  • 14-09-2023 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello guys

I have a question regarding the Gigable.com service. They define themselves like this "We help businesses connect with talented gig workers in their local area for shift work".

You post a gig with a time and place to their website, you get applicants , you select one to work. once they have done the shift work they invoice you.

I am just wondering the legality of this , for example lets say I need a barista to work in my coffee shop because none of my employees can work this Wednesday. is it ok to use a freelancer in this type of way? are they insured to work on my premises? If the WRC come in and ask for a roster of employees and find out this person is actually just a freelancer what would be the outcome?

This question is applying to kitchen porters, clothes store staff, supermarket store staff etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Interesting. Their website states that you pay gigable then they pay the staff so they are effectively responsible for them. It's like employing a temp agency in days gone by. For insurance though, I'd say you're responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,899 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They're agency workers, just like ones from the recruitment agencies. Only you know who your insurance covers, but it would be foolish to not cover agency workers, peole on work experience etc.

Advertisement