Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festivals you may not know

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Stillill42

You think that's lively, you should have heard Maruja at 11.10 the previous day! Mental! bdrmm great though, saw their main gigtoo really like them. Lovely fellas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭joinme

Also gets a 5 star Guardian review

https://www.theguardian.com/music/article/2024/aug/19/green-man-festival-review-sherelle-sets-the-tone-big-thief-are-a-big-hit-and-sampha-closes-in-style-style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

"An older, middle class crowd". I think you said the same about EOTR last year. I must admit that's the only thing that's put me off both festivals previously. I like a party and some late night shenanigans and i'm not sure i'd find that at either of them. I'm not a big drinker so would tire of that option pretty quickly. Although i'm sure the music would go a considerable way to compensate!😀

Looks and sounds great anyway and you seem to have got the weather too.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭joinme

Travelling to Lisbon next week for the Meo Kalorama festival. Has anyone been before? Any tips? We're staying near Sao Sebastiao station which is about 20 mins to venue by public transport.

Unfortunately The Smile had to pull out due to Johnny Greenwood's recent ill health. But still a pretty decent line up. We're only attending the first 2 days.

https://meokalorama.pt/en

Radio 6 Dad's it is, no doubt but sound out, to a man. Anyway, they've not all given up the ghost just yet. I wore my Scott Lavene 'I chose Amphetamines over you' tshirt on Saturday and boy did it go down a bomb! There were lads queuing up for photos. The amphetamine community is still alive and well in the valleys. Seriously though, I was fecked by 2 in the morning but the tents are all on the go late. Round the Twist till 4. Can't speak for what they're playing. The people that are at these gigs are the people who love the same music you do, I'd say you'd find you've more in common with them than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭jams100

Having done two Electric Picnics, I'm thinking of heading to Sziget in 2025. (Probably along with EP).

Anyone ever been to Sziget? Would you recommend it and anything to watch out for / must do over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

It is a week long fest. I've done the week twice. I'd focus on picking 3 days.

Weather is almost guaranteed, don't camp, book a place as there is plenty on offer.

It's a nice fest. Lineup isn't there these past years. I haven't been since 2016 but I've heard the arts part of the festival is becoming less and less each year.

Ah you're right i know. Someday i'll get to both. On an annual basis i find EOTR to be a bit more to my tastes but the lineup is weak this year imo, whereas Green Man can be a bit more hit and miss for me (best lineup of the summer this year though!).

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Anyone been to Bilbao BBK? Recommended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,792 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Im sold on Geen Man anyway, was looking for a late summer festival and don't fancy EP anymore. Fingers crossed for a strong lineup next year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭mcdonut

Yes been to about three of them all prior to COVID. The site is the the hills on the edge of the city...used to about a tenner in a cab from city centre. I think there's also shuttle buses from the football stadium .

There is camping available at the site but we always stayed in hotels.

Bilbao is a great smaller city. Well worth a visit. Would highly recommend the festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭mcdonut

The view of Bilbao from the BBK entrance gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

One of my fav city fests. Lineup is always quality. Bilbao is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

that looks lovely and sounds so … civilised?

Sorry, LowOdour, forgot to say that Greem Man is hands down the best festival for kids I've attended. The actual kids area looks amazing, trampolines going, performers, arts and crafts, all sorts. There's a science area and then another sort of garden with a stage hosting kid friendly acts all weekend. Everyone looked like they were having a ball. There was also a Little Folk parade around the main arena on the Sunday, kids on shoulders, performers, music, everyone cheering, deadly.

But also first festival I've been at where there are teen tickets so plenty of teens around too. It was pretty cool, not big gangs of them, all with family, you know, off at a gig on their own, joining their Da at the front foe Jesus and Mary Chain or whatever.

That all sounds revoltingly Blue Peter for anyone attending without kids I know but didn't interfere in any way with the more adult craic. First time I've ever really thought I'd like to have done this with the kidders.

Lovely story from one of the younger acts, Humane the Moon. Finished a great set said himself and his brother on bass had been at Green Man for 15 straight years with their Dad, pointed him out in the crowd. I'm not crying, you are. Had a chat with his folks after, so lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Thanks @Stillill42 - brilliant review and looks right up our street. decided this morning that EP is just not a runner for our two, so we are going to see if we find an alternative. GreenMan on the list thanks to your input!

That all sounds revoltingly Blue Peter… A doff of the cap to you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Yes it is predominantly middle aged crowd but it still has the madness it sounds like you want (as a card carrying middle age raver). I went to bed no earlier than 2:30 any morning and that was only cos I hit an absolute wall, you can make of it what you will. Chai Wallahs is mostly drum and bass late at night, Far Out mostly techno and Round the Twist is housey, the first and latter until 4am all nights.

@Stillill42 I'm delighted you loved it, I'm between this and ATN as my favourite but I think this year Green Man did it for me. I didn't know that much music going in but as always with GM it showed me loads. Nadine Shah, Explosions in the Sky and Max Cooper were my top highlights along with Omar Souleyman and Lynks for pure craic. It's a festival that just soothes the soul somehow (even if I'm still recovering at the mo!!).

Ah absolutely, CorkClaire82. Just a brilliant 4 days. Nadine was deadly, as were Explosions in the Sky but I loved pretty much everything and everyone. Beamed my way through the 4 days. I don't suppose your bloke was the one in the Sultans of Ping tshirt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Ha no, he is not from Cork (alas, even though that might just be too much power altogether).

You're right, it was a great experience this year as per always, those were just the musical highlights.

Advertisement