Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Portable 32a EVSE

• 15-09-2023 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I've recently made the change to electric driving and its generally been going great. One problem that has surfaced now though is destination charging at my parents house however. Driving from my own house to my parents practically depletes the battery, where I'm arriving with 15% if I go non-stop which happened the last time we travelled as the ecars station on route was occupied. What I ended up doing was heading out after arriving and visiting a fast charger when we arrived.

The other problem I have is that we also tend to go driving about a fair bit in the locality when we stay there for a few days. We suffer similar issues at my partners parents house So the long and the short of it is that we need a charging solution at two destinations that we frequent. I don't particularly want to have to fit an expensive EVSE's at both places that will get used at most a handful of times a year, or continue with expensive and inconvenient public charging however we do need something better than a granny cable.

Fortunately, there are 32a commando sockets at both of the properties that we can get the car within 5m of. That has gotten me curious as car chargers are essentially 32a plugs with some smarts bolted on. There do seem to be portable 7kw EVSE's out there but none seem to be by UK/IRL sellers so that makes me wonder about their safety or legality particularly in relation to PEN faults. The other thing I was thinking of was to get a zappi and just wire it up with a commando plug.

Just wondering if there are any other forum users that have encountered this problem and how they've addressed it especially if they've used the portable 7kw chargers.

Comments

Advertisement