Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB SMART METERS AND FIBRE

Options
  • 15-09-2023 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello all

My Magnet ADSL connection has been abruptly retired and I have been told Fibre is the answer and they are going to supply it via my ESB smart meter. But they say that they ar going to have to do some remedial works with a Digger!

But I am puzzled because I have had the smart meter a few years and that ought to mean that the Fibre is already there because its part of the ESB infrastructure.

Siro are tasked with this effort but I am wondering why they do not first verify whether the Fibre is not already present.

I note that the present adsl socket plate contains a second (empty) socket which looks suspiciously like an ethernet socket.

Am I right to be suspicious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭jos22

adsl socket plate contains a second (empty) socket

the empty socket is used for home phone via landline, instead of via Wi-Fi via the router. question regarding ESB I do not know

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not supplied via your smart meter. Its fibre to a fibre ONT. Fibre will not have been brought in unless there was an order for it

Smart meters use ye-antiquey mobile phone modems to connect; they're totally unconnected to broadband. Whoever was telling you that is deeply confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Either you misunderstood what you were told or someone feeding BS to you. Smart meter has nothing to do with fibre, they operate on mobile network and they are not there to provide internet connection of any kind to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They meant "meter box" not smart meter.

They like to run underground up the duct to the external termination box when possible but if they're digging that's not possible at your address.

Advertisement