Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2023 Ireland v Tonga Match Thread: Group B - Sat 16th Sep 20:00 Nantes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Spread was 38, outcome was 43, competent performance. It was Tonga after all.

Everything rides on next week. Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Very composed performance bar a little fragmented in the second half, you'd think the coaching staff will be delighted with all the positives and that there are work-ons. Tonga weren't great and the next two games are where we'll learn more but they've done the job so far, can't be too critical really.

15 - won't be the first to miss tackles on Piatau but will be disappointed as he had him on skates early on, but played very well after that, loved his burst up the wing and the 50/22. Classy player.

14 - super 50/22 (even though I thought he threw the ball in on the field of play). Super finish against the grain and busy around the field. Has really blossomed into one of most creative players

13 - Unlucky for the missed try, think he showed his frustration. I didn't notice too much of his play beyond nice short passes, maybe someone can fill in what I missed?

12 - our player of the tournament so far. Force of nature, if he can keep this up he'll be very important for us

11 - I was a bit disappointed in his play bar the run-in try. Kicked the ball a lot but he hasn't had a 'moment' for us yet in these recent games. Would like to see him step up in the next two games.

10 - Imperious, a great moment to take the record which put a lovely gloss on the victory. Wrap in cotton wool!

9 - bar the chargedown and I think being caught at the back of a ruck I thought he had great game, very composed, snappy play, nice breaks, his kicks put them in a lot of trouble.

8 - steals on the ground, great lines of running, scores, does the technical stuff well - super performance

7 - much more energy than in the warm ups, super in the loose. Back towards his all action best, peaking nicely!

6 - wasn't happy with the harsh yellow, lost one lineout in the second half but was very good otherwise I thought. Linked play well in attack

5 - industrious and great pressure on their lineout early on. Plays consistently to a high level, can't wait to see how he goes next weekend against some of the best

4 - good workrate similar to James Ryan and took his try very well when we were in need of one

3 - improved performance, which was needed.

2 - delighted to see him coming back to his best, very timely.

1 - love this guy, I had concerns on his scrummaging before but they've vanished - arguably the best all round loosehead in the world. There's a massive drop off when he's not there, especially in our scrum - possibly our most important player because of that

Subs: Hope Bealham is okay, Byrne started off very quiet but improved - will be interested to see the call for the two upcoming games. Herring - thought he did well, Casey did okay, Henshaw gave a more promising cameo than recently which is positive, Baird did well also. I'm not sold on Killer, he owes us a big one if he plays again. The game became more fragmented in the second half which is probably not surprising given we brought on the whole bench

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭threeball

Strong performance. We generally underperformed against weaker teams in the past, limping over the line or getting caught but this team is fairly ruthless.

I'm also unsure where SA are at. Yes they'll be physically tough but it looks like southern hemisphere rugby is at a low ebb. The kiwis and aussies are shadows of themselves, Argentina were very poor against a poor England outfit. I think we have more ways to win than SA. If they can match the physicality, I think we have the edge everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Casey firmly in third place in the scrum half hierarchy. He's over eager and making **** decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Don't think we could have asked for a better preparation coming into the SA game.

Getting good wins against Romania and Tonga but Somoa game keeping us humble. The team look focused and committed. Plus we have no major injuries.

Big if I know but if we wrap up a bonus point win against SA, can we rest our starting team vs Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Was funny reading through the thread. The usual suspects started strong but gradually all but disappeared about 6 pages in.

All about next week now but things really couldn't have gone much better so far. I think it's clear now that this was always the plan once the schedule was released. The 2 week break after next week was key.

Furlong needed that game. I thought he was much improved and will come on for that run. I've a feeling we are going to see a big performance from Lowe too. He won't have been happy with the sloppy bits.

Everyone else looks to be bubbling along nicely. I think it will be a massive test but I do think we are the better team than South Africa. Discipline will be key. Really looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I thought we were fortunate in some of those scrums. We weren’t dominant there. Let’s hope we can hold back SA.

Tonga are amazing. It’s kind of ridiculous that a developing country with only 100,000 people can field a team this good.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Aki limped away after both tries. Definitely was running for a while with an injury and they'd used all the subs. Hopefully he'll be ok next week.

Furlong could've done with a rest instead of playing the full 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I disagree about Furlong. he needed the minutes in the legs and will be better for it for later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

It doesnt.

next week likely decides who tops the group, a bit rides on it but not everything, not by a long shot.

If we win one of our next two games we make the quarters, and thats a game that everything rides on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd say the opposite about Furlong's minutes. Provided he didn't get injured (I'm not aware of one), then those minutes in the legs can only be a good thing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The team selection was totally vindicated tonight. Sure we probably still would have won with a weaker team, but it would have been a scrappy 10 or 15 point win. This result builds real momentum and the bench players all got serious gametime. Other than Bealham I think we're OK on the injury front.

A win all round really.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Great performance, we have developed into a try scoring machine, I very much fancy us against SA simply due to our scoring ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Seadin

We are looking good lads. Confidence looks good with this team. Something Ireland were never good at from past world cups. Hopefully now we can back up this momentum with a win next weekend again

Was it Donal Lenihan saying the size of Kilkenny and the population of County Kilkenny. When you think about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭threeball

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭VayNiice

I know it's still not a lot but there are more more Tongans living in NZ and Aus than there are actually in Tonga (mostly NZ) . So closer to 250,000 overall.

Then add in the players who quality through the granny rule etc. Still a small population of course.

Its similar for Samoa - there's almost 200,000 living in NZ. I remember when I lived in NZ hearing that there are more Samoans in Auckland than in Samoa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

• Registered Users Posts: 68,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Any news from the camp on Bealham?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

Farrell's response to the question at 12 minutes in...🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

How stark the difference is in here when Ireland are doing well.

Tumbleweed! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

Ireland played their strongest side against Tonga, and won by about what you'd expect. There wasn't anything too controversial in the match, and I'd say the only thing that is really a concern is the penalty count.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That Simon Hick from Second Captains? Looking forward to hearing their podcast reaction to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Agreed on result - however a lot of teams have struggled with tier 2 so we shouldn’t take performance for granted. However I think his post is that there is a lot of posters who only ever comment to criticise or when Ireland have not met their standards. If the team are ok or perform well you never see them post. Not everyone has to be a promoter of the team but it is very tedious when you get a wave of posts to **** on team and then they are gone again when team perform well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Wait and see, if we go out at the QF again there'll be a flood of people you wouldn't see from one end of the year to the next in taking pop shots. It's just something you get used to, even if it is tedious as you say - not to mention bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Agree. Casey brings tenacity and commitment. He has a good pass too. But his decision making really lets him down. Hopefully it evolves.

Advertisement