Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Policy help

Options
  • 16-09-2023 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi,

I had a breakdown today and thought I was covered with insurance, however the guy that came to tow the car away said as I was over the 30km limit by 3km to my garage, I'd have to pay 130 which I did.

I'm looking at my policy and I'm thinking I should have been covered?

I rang an post and she said it doesn't matter about the 30km, if I brought the car to the nearest garage I wouldn't have had to pay, it's because I chose my own garage. When I rang breakdown assistance she said she wouldn't have a car for me until Monday so what should I have done?

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What she was telling you was that if the nearest garage was more than 30 kms away, that limit would be overlooked. But what appears to have happened is that there was a garage available within 30 kms but you nominated your own garage which was 33 kms away so you had to pay for the tow.

If you know the guys in the garage you were towed to, it was probably cheaper to pay for the tow as the folks in a strange place would probably have screwed you for a lot more than the cost of the tow. On the basis that they would never see you again. There is a danger in that situation that the towtruck driver gets a bung for bringing you to the local cowboys.

The breakdown assistance people not having a replacement car until Monday is a seperate matter.

Advertisement