Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I leave this job now?

Options
  • 17-09-2023 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Am trying to decide whether to leave the job I'm in. I started there nearly 4 months ago. Have been working non stop for 26 years, no extended break or travel, with only the usual annual leave each year. Have only had 3 previous jobs in that time so I don't tend to make rash decisions in terms of leaving as I know jobs can be chronic for months before they settle down.

My issue with this role is there is step up in terms of pressure in getting projects completed. The role involves a lot of chasing others to track progress and I've had little impact in pressing people for this. My previous roles were more me getting work completed than pushing others. I feel like I just don't enjoy the role at any stage of the week. Weekends, it's on my mind so I feel as though I don't have time away from it and neglect other areas as a result.

Financially, I'm in an okay position I think, 80k left on mortgage and 150k in savings and investments. 

I suppose I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to take a few months out to reassess, and look for something early next year. Am mid forties now so I'm aware I might be getting to the age where employers take note of that.

Has anyone done similar and regretted it or not looked back? I feel I've always been in jobs that consume my thoughts week to week and don't enjoy life as much. Would like to do something positive for myself for once as life hasn't worked out the way I thought it would.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭newirishman

Why would you keep 150K in savings when you have 80K left on mortgage? I'd be surprised if you get better returns on your savings so pay off the mortgage.

Then, take off work for a few months and reassess what you wanna do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Agree with above post, pay off mortage you'll save a fortune, way more then any returns on investments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Some is invested, some is recent enough savings. Ya maybe that's an option for me to clear the mortgage. I suppose I've used savings as a rainy day fund over the years. Maybe now is the time for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Do you have dependents ?

It's good to take time off and do what you want to really do, while you can. You are only mid 40s. And you only have one life. And it's good for your mental health.

It may be harder to get a job initially when you start back, and depending on what you do, but you have a valid excuse for taking a break, you've been working continuously for 26 years.

I burned out from one job and left, late 40s at the time. In hindsight I should have taken a break earlier or have taken sick leave.

Took me a couple of months to get another job. I've dependents so I didn't feel I could take a long period of time off.

No dependants so no issues on that front. Fear of the unknown is my main concern and that I might find it difficult to get another role when I need to. I've found the last couple of years a challenge job wise, a few months out might be time enough to decide on a career choice. Definitely more to life than misery Mon - Fri.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There seems to be a lot of different things rattling around in your mind:

• On the one hand you seem to regret not having had any big travel adventures
    • Then there is the issues relating specifically to current job and whether you should move on to another job.
    • Then there is the financial aspect, although I'm not sure there is an issue there, perhaps it is just something other commenters have picked up on.

To state a couple of obvious things - life very rarely works out the want you expected, you have only one life to live and you don't have 50 summers left.

Taking a break to do something different may change your life for the good or the bad, unless you try it you won't know. That said, unless you are comfortable giving up the job and leaving it to fate as to how it will work out, then it will almost certainly be a bad experience, just because of your own inner fears and worries.

Age will definitely play a role in what adventures you can have and how it will workout on your return. In your forties it is more difficult to get work permits etc. for places outside the EU/EEA/CH, as of course will you marketable your skill set is in finding a new job abroad or upon your return.

If it were me I'd go have the adventure for a couple of months, probable in the EU/EEA/CH because it is the easier option from a work, resident and social security point of view and then decide what happens after that. I'd hold off on paying off the mortgage etc, because it could well that your outcome is to sell the house and stay where ever you are.

Appreciate the detailed response @Jim2007. On the travel issue, I don't really regret having not travelled extensively when I was younger. It just wasn't me at the time.

I moreso feel it in terms of being in full employment since 19. I completed my college during my working years. The daily grind has caught up with me. Maybe that's the same for everyone, I'm not sure.

I'm in a position to do something about it now, so I just need to break away from my current role, even though I find that difficult.

Since we don't know your skill set or language abilities, it is difficult to say, but the EU/EEA/CH is probably a good first place to look for some thing:

• No visa issues are you are legally entitle to see work there, take up residence there and so on
    • Your state pension rights will continue as any contributions you make there will be included in the calculation of total pension you are entitled to
    • Your unemployment benefits are also preserved as your total contributions from the entire EU/EEA/CH are taken into account in calculating entitlements

If you are going to change jobs in any case, why not throw the net a bit wider and see if there is anything in Europe that might interest you?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭ax530

In similar position OP. Unfortunately I don't have any experience of a solution for you.

No financial pressure but feel if leave now will be very hard to get another job again and the worry of the far away fields are not always greener.

I have always liked working don't know if it would suit me not to work but finding current role impacting my day or day stress levels so in turn impacting my family life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Is mid 40’d not still really young- you have 20/25 years to retirement. Surely any employer wouldn’t have a problem with your age?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have thought twice about the age issue until a coworker mentioned it in a conversation. It was mainly around going over the 50 mark being looked at differently. Not sure how much that would really matter though.

I don't know if I would pursue working abroad at this point. I might have to look a bit further into it. I certainly want to find something that fits around my life and interests rather than a job consuming me week to week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Computer-says-no kicked in at 49.5, in my experience.

I wouldn't share my date of birth before getting an offer. It is pretty much irrelevant before that (and probably illegal to ask for under GDPR)

Of course, it is easy to make an informed guess based on someones CVs ('got my degree in 1964')

• If foreign languages are not your thing there are some European countries where English is widely spoken by nearly everyone: Norway (native language is easy to learn), Malta, Iceland, Cyprus, Netherlands. So in theory you could take up an available role in one of those countries without much of a language barrier. I’ve met Irish people working in the most unexpected places, eg I was on an excursion in the far north Lofoten Islands (Norway), and met a middle-aged Dub lad who was working at a horse stables. Sometimes thinking right outside the box can bring interesting life experiences.

It is pretty common to ask for age or date of birth of employees as it is need for benefits calculations and staff planning. It is not prevented under GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,811 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Here we go with GDPR being used as a scapegoat again. DOB, and many other pieces of basic information, aren't covered by GDPR or under any discrimination legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

In regards to the unknown, you can either have fear or excitement of the unknown.

But taking stock of your position you are financially secure, and must have a wealth of experience in your field which will make you employable anyway again. That should give you great comfort your not going to be homeless and your not going to go hungry.

If i was you i would leave the job, but id plan out what i wanted to do before hand be it travel or what every else you can literally do what ever you like you've earned your adventure so do it while your in good health and able, there would be nothing more depressing to earn all that and work all that time only to not be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor lifes too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why not move to a job that suits you more here? A role that suits and perhaps one with flexitime/ less hours. Reduced income likely but more time to take breaks etc.

Having nothing to do sounds great from your current position. But having worked for 26 years, it's quite the change. You'd have to reinvent yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I walked out of a job last year due to stress and burn-out. I was also financially secure enough to do this.

I am older than you at 55

It took me longer to land a new job than I thought it would and you will be surprised at how quickly you will burn through your savings (€220/wk Job seekers benefit after 9 weeks if you leave voluntarily).

My advice to you would be to get your CV up to date and start looking at what is out there. This may lift your spirits if you think that there is a possible end in sight for your current role. If and when you identify something - plan to have a long notice period to give yourself a good break.

I am earning less than I was previously but I am so much happier

Nothing to do with scapegoat. And I wrote 'probably'.

Please explain why a potential employer needs anyones date of birth to provide an employment offer?

• Advertisement

Just because 'it is common' doesn't mean it is right. Explain please why you would need a date of birth before the person is in fact starting employment?

I am not disputing it is needed for contractual reasons, eventually. But not before you hire someone.

Curious to understand what you understand by 'staff planning' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How does a potential employer distinguish between the three separate Patrick Murphy's who have applied in the last six months?

DOB isn't foolproof, but overall it works pretty well.

And even if they haven't asked as stated they can work out your minimum age from qualification date even of they don't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Id also love to hear what staff planning means..for pensions etc i can understand but staff planning means nothing.

Read a bit more carefully! At no point did I make a statement about recruitment.

The primary role of HR is to ensure the company has resources they need at all times, so knowing when people will retire, having a succession plan, labour force cost projections depends on the aging of the staff as most obtain extra benefits as they get older etc... is all part of the remit of the HR department. People are a resource that must be managed just like any other input in the business process.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

address? email address? layout of CV... unless its attack of the clones you wouldnt want to be sherlock holmes...

That said, DOB would be standard regardless.

Advertisement