Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School laptop

• 17-09-2023 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi can someone please recommend a laptop for school use, I only have a budget of 400 Euro but I don't know anything about laptops, thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Same question here - though a budget of 450 Euro.

There's lots of rubbish in this price range in the likes of Soundstore and Harvey Norman that is being marketed as laptops for school/college, but with woeful processors and inadequate RAM and SSD storage - basically glorified netbooks.

Any good value basic laptops out there that will last more than a year or two?

MtM

Over budget, but is this any good/value for the money?

Are laptops direct trustworthy and reliable? Are they in Ireland? Where do they ship from. Don't want to end up paying customs

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭macchoille

At the 400/450 price point there’s going to be a lot of compromises unless you find an older model on sale. If I was buying a school laptop today I’d be looking at RAM and storage. I don’t see CPU or graphics card as important unless the laptop is needed for gaming or professional work.

Heres something a over budget but is a reasonable price IMHO

https://www.paradigit.ie/asus-x515ea-ej3985w/80064021/product/9474

FYI my personal computer (have a separate work one) is nearly 13 years old has 16GB RAM and works really well for windows 10, office applications, internet, YouTube, even graphic editing programs.

The problem with new laptops is many of manufacturers only supply 16GB with the expensive processors and in reality unless you’re doing high end work/ gaming; the memory is going to matter more for performance than the processor.

I did change to a SSD , upgraded Graphics card (work monitor is 5K - switch work laptop/PC around on it) and PSU …….. if I didn’t have the big monitor it would only be the SSD changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Does a Chromebook have any disadvantages for school work or other activities? Again for a school child?

Ie what’s the significant difference between laptop and Chromebook when it comes to school work or where a school asks for kids to have access to a laptop, are there educational websites used that are only laptop compatible and not Chromebook compatible?

for reference for what I’m talking about- any assistance welcome

• Advertisement

I can’t say with 100% certainty but I’m sure most websites should be ok.

The biggest difference is Chromebook’s are running a different operating system so certain applications won’t be available.

If it’s a younger child then I’d guess a Chromebook would be ok especially if it’s what the school is recommending but for an older child or someone starting college you’d probably want something more capable. (Doesn’t have to have the latest processor or graphics)

Buying a system tricky, need to figure what you really need not what looks fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thanks - it’s for a relatives child - still primary school - need to really ask a few more questions before deciding - I think the ask is coming from the child themselves- it’s probably more a “want” rather than a “need” but will try and find out what the school is doing or how a Chromebook might be of use - otherwise it will be wasted money.

For those asking here because it’s a school recommendation or requirement, then I’d totally recommend you get in touch with the school- they should have an extensive Q&A education section devoted to such purposes for parents- if they don’t then push them to get it - it’s up to them to tell you the spec etc to aim for - no point in getting the cheapest if it’s not compatible or the most expensive if it’s way beyond what’s required

• Registered Users Posts: 33 IstvaanV

I have a mostly unused gaming laptop I would be willing to sell within that budget(s) that is in decent working order if either of you have interest.

The Asus one you linked to last week seems to be out of stock.

I presume this one would be similar

What's the warranty like with these guys. It's a decade since I bought from Komplett.

Any laptop with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD available from a Bricks and Mortar store for under 550?

MtM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

there's a guy on dun deal selling 2nd hand/refurbed machines at fairly reasonable prices. Haven't dealt with him myself but my sister and a friend bought machines off him and were both happy eg https://www.donedeal.ie/laptops-for-sale/lenovo-thinkpad-laptops-i5-ssd-vat-delivery-inc/35175366

Not much there in your price range at the minute but maybe worth giving him a shout

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What do they need it for exactly? That makes it easier to advise you.

Word processing?

Powerpoint?

Excel?

DO the have to use MS or Google products?

What do they need to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

Chromebook

All 3.of my kids have them, and for apps they use most online via office 365

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭kankicker

asus chromebook all the way is good for what a school child need,s to do . i have used only chromebook for year,s what size screen is up to you . cheap and cheerful harvey norman look,s good for one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭kankicker

this is mine it must be at least 8 year,s old and still going strong .

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Hi OP - I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad T460 recently off refurbed.ie for starting back to college in the evenings for around 225 and I can't recommend it enough.

It came with Windows 10, has decent RAM and no performance issues so far. Thinkpads aren't as flashy looking as buying a new laptop but they pack a lot more power than say a new chromebook for a dearer price range.

Only seeing this now, yeah seems decent enough

Thinkpad range is aimed at business users (heavy use and reliable) so I can’t fault them.

Work in IT 20+ years and have had Lenovo (previously called IBM - bought out) and Dell laptops . I never had any trouble with the Lenovo laptops, no comment on Dell 🤬. I currently have a Lenovo T13 Yoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

100% agree, I use a Dell currently for work and after 2 years it's really slowing down and the hardware and fans are really giving out. In my last role I used Thinkpads and never had any issues despite regularly using scripts to process 20+ million record datasets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

Just one thing to note about Refurbed - I had a quick look at the selection and if you're going down that route check the keyboard. Clicked randomly into several available laptops and they had US, German or French keyboards. Changing them after the fact is neither trivial nor cheap - if possible at all.

Other than that, despite not being able to recommend personally as I've never dealt with them, on the face of it giving hardware a new lease of life is a great idea. Also note the the Thinkpads mentioned are maintainable, so you can increase memory and disk down the line, which is rare these days (Apple the worst offender)

A friend has bought several laptops from them over the past few years and was happy overall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement