Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2023 Ireland v South Africa Buildup - Sat 23rd Sep 20:00 Paris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Farrell's first couple of team announcements were announced early in the week but for whatever reason they slipped back to Thursdays. The squad generally know from Tuesday if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

And there i was looking forward to saying the Boks look jaded at some point :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

They'Ve gone 7-1, I really don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Still be wearing jade shorts and bit of jade in the socks.

Hoping by the end of the game I can say the Irish look green with jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Really hope we stick to our guns and go with the 5-3 split here.

• Advertisement

7/1 is back! Springboks shock with seven forwards on bench for crunch Ireland World Cup clash https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/worldcup/71-is-back-springboks-shock-with-seven-forwards-on-bench-for-crunch-ireland-world-cup-clash-20230919

Very risky, maybe too risky. I dont like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Calling it now, Eben's not fit and Pollard replaces him in the 23 by kickoff to move things around to a 6-2 bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Willemse covering out-half, Colby covering fullback, and Smith covering centre.

Mbonambi will probably play the full 80, Kleyn and Snyman cover lock, and Fourie and Van Staden cover loose forwards.

It’s a gamble but could pay off.

there’s also the chance that Etzebeth could be pulled at short notice and replaced with Pollard, with Snyman starting and Pollard to the bench.

Yeah Kwagga Smith was a 7's player, and although he plays flanker or 8th man, I seem to remember he was used in the back line during some game when someone got injured. But id rather it didnt get to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Given that Rassie said he wasn't gonna go 7-1, that Even was fit and Pollard wasn't gonna play and given that he's just named a 7-1 split, it's probably only a matter of time before the other two happen.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Smith can also cover wing, but anyway I'd love to see him come on anywhere in they back line because we would crucify him.

I'm delighted with that squad.

Rasmus will be hoisted by his own petard

Ireland will need a big enough lead by the 50/60 minute mark, before nearly the whole SA forward pack is replaced.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Pretty sure that'll be it...but also pretty clear they reckon their best bet is to go out to bully us. I don't think they'll be successful with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I think they aim will be take out Sexton with the usual heavy/late hits.

Take him out and Ireland will struggle.

Rassie probably has a light signal for it.

I can't wait to see literally every Irish fan in the stadium holding up disco lights this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

100%

Ireland have nothing to fear. It's SA who are taking the unnecessary risk. I'd say the two second rows are cover because Etzebeth is not right.

Is Mapimpi injured? He's a big loss on their restarts and kick chase. The guy is like a homing missile and usually stops the receiver dead. Class in the air himself too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Its a good shout. or maybe Le Roux

I hope, I really hope they do go 7-1. Its a disaster waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Please, no further mentions of MOC. Awful, awful flashbacks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I understand the benefit of the 6/2 split especially if you have versatile backs.

Ireland even even could go 6/2 with crowley as their utility back.

But 7/1 is just so risky. Your an injury or a card away from being snookered.

Haven't south africa made late changes before their first 2 games in this competition so far? Or at least 1 of them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

South Africa are terrified of Ireland.

What a complement that 7-1 bench is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

The answer to SA's announcement is dont even get involved in the mind games. If we name a 6-2 split I'd almost be concerned that we've allowed SA get in our heads, 6-2 split means we intend to try play SA at their own game which we will NOT win...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭letsbefair

They obviously think their pack can't last against ours at the pace we play. Our 5 subs will be well up for it

We need to also remember the 7-1 bench will only be deadly if we allow SA to dictate the game, that's why it worked so efficiently against NZL in Twickenham. If we dictate the game and dont allow ourselves to get drawn into a arm wrestle I think the impact will be minimised. Even though they have 2 extra forwards (Van Staden, Smith) they arent the biggest forward ever seen, they are both literally smaller than me despite the fact I'm younger and a back!, so while they are new bodies to come on I dont think they will add more than what they already had in the XV.

Even in song form?

🎵Dale a tu cuerpo alegría Matt O'Connor

Que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegría y cosa buena

Dale a tu cuerpo alegría, Matt O'Connor

Hey Matt O'Connor, ay 🎵

I'm seeing on Twitter that Mapimpi isn't even injured, just "dropped". So I'd actually reckon he's most likely to come in.

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If it were up to me I'd be sending forwards and Aki down Libbock's channel often, looking for contact.

• Advertisement

Nah Mapimpi is passed his best at this point, don't let the Romania game fool you, if someone is going to come in it will most like be Moodie or Le Roux if its not Pollard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement