Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross 2023/24

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Signed up for the Epic MTB race, will be my first ever and first bike race outside of some track a few years ago. Anything to look out for as a newbie?

Am I right in saying that as an unattached rider I cannot wear a jersey with logos of non cycling Ireland club (eg a triathlon club) which most of my gear is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Yeah, un attacked rider CANNOT wear jersey with logos as you said. As far as i know, the agreed colour is black, however, today in belfast i seen at least three riders in the b race wearing different galibier jerseys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Once it's plain, no logos or designs that could be mistaken for logos/teams. Is it strictly enforced in the B race, I'd have my doubts but better safe than sorry.

There is 3 different calendars on this page but one of them seems fairly up to date with the weekend races

https://www.offroadcyclingireland.ie/wordpress/calendar/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭seanin4711

what was this last year 10 euro? and very ordinary drinks and food stalls both in terms of quantity and quality!

Racing was class as was the atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Can't remember. Food and drinks offering was pretty crap alright. Hope they have something better lined up this year, particularly given the support the public gave to the last event. Will definitely be heading along anyway... €17 seems like v. good value to me if the same calibre of riders show up again this year in the mens and womens events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Did anyone have a look at kiltiper Park yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 breadevery

First CX race for me tomorrow in Kiltipper. I'll probably cycle to it as its nearby, but with the weather forecast being rainy, I'll have a bag with jacket etc.. Is it usually acceptable to leave a bag by the side of the course somewhere while racing? Or is there even a specific place stuff can be left? Obviously not going to put any valuables in there

• Advertisement

Typically you can throw it in or around the sign on tent but as with everything it is at your own risk

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭ciarsciars

Doesn't seem to be a Connaucht League this year. I see a race in Ballina on 1st Nov, but that's it I think?

Theres normally someone who will mind it for you,

Hearing good reports from the EPIC race today, annoyed I couldn't make it, damned work. Hope it's back next year.

Really good race, the course seemed to hold up fine, the weather was just mental

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Loved the race and the course was great

Probably the best one of the best natural courses on the calendar is next in Oldcastle.

Love the set up in oldcastle. Bit of everything. Great wooded section

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

EPIC MTB put on a lovely course yesterday, natural and somehow very flowy, despite the many tight turns it was a nice length, the start finish comes round pleasingly regularly. The course holds up really well in really heavy rain. And we had really heavy rain yesteray. A one bike course is where it's at too. Cycle there, raced, cycled home. Well done to all the organisers.

Anyone know the Carrick on Suir course this Sunday, any descriptions out there?

• Advertisement

Entry information will be released in due course.

It will pop up randomly, sold out all entries in an hour last year. Subscribe to the insider groups on social media is the best bet, various leagues, CI, verge sport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Round 2 of the Leinster League up in Oldcastle went off super well. From the excellently sponsored (OE Bikes Mullingar) kiddie races to the tweaked senior course everything was class, including the weather. For me the latest iteration of the course is one of the best yet and the permanent kiddie course (as was available in the teeming rain of Kiltipper also) is a great addition. As I was blowing gaskets left right and centre out riding through the start finish loop - out of what was remaining of my vision I could see 2 or 3 kiddie happily using their course all day.

Super stuff and well done to all in Oldcastle CC on a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Folks, bought tickets to the World Cup Stage in Dublin.

Never been to a CX race before. For those of you at last year's event, any suggestions for a newb about the best spots to stand etc.

Probably the best place to ask this, I raced participated in the Oldcastle and Navan events this year and had a great time but I need to change from my Gravel tyres to something more suited to cross after having basicly zero traction in Navan. Only one set of wheels and setting up tubeless so likely only be able to use 1 set of tyres so I want an all rounder to get me through the ret of this season. I am between these two at the moment and wondering on peoples opinions. I'll likey miss the 19th but be there for the last 2 races of the leinster league and then probably next year too.

Any thoughts on the below as to which would be a better choice or if there is something that would be better again.

or

Grifo but since every race from now might be really muddy, if it was me id just buy a limus and run those. A very experienced would only benefit from deferent tires in irish races and i mean the guys winning! more grip will be always save you more time than a faster rolling tire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's a big course so loads of places to stand, the "hilly" parts or anywhere the riders slow down or bunch up are the most popular and you'd need to get your spot early as it will get mental during the elite races..

And remember to bring a good set of waterproof boots/wellingtons cos it's gonna be muddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What's best for traction in a muddy CX race is a 2nd bike and someone to powerhose it every lap for you! :-D

N + 1 at its finest, I will be shot if I bring home another bike but I do agree it would be beneficial. Even at the moment I am doubling up with using a gavel bike for CX

• Advertisement
Advertisement