Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The oldest Technology in your home...

• 18-09-2023 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

I have an electric whisk that was given to me by my mother, must be 40+ years old... still works perfectly,

My mum has an electric sewing machine that she inherited from her mum, must be 60/70 years old...

How 'bout yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I have a knife in my kitchen drawer - I think this technology is quiet old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭thomil

But still cutting edge from what I heard...

For me, it's probably my late dad's NAS/file server that I brought over after he passed away. Much of the other stuff in here is newer than that.

(For those wondering about this, my dad was a card-carrying nerd all his life. Started his professional life on IBM mainframes and never got the electronics bug out of his system)

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I have a late 1970s boombox which has a built in TV screen. Works and still sounds great, and it picked up a TV signal up until Irish television recently went digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Lots of old electronics but as far as big ticket items, probably these two Japanese beauties from circa '87/'88, 100% original with big crisp CRTs.

Kenwood Chef, must be 40+ years old. All original except of the bowl and power cable that had perished.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as above, define 'technology'.

we have a woodburning stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

ive my grandfathers and my fathers pocket watches...class old wind-up type of jobs...ive also got a flint and steel to light a fire...,how old we talking?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

"You are him…the one they call the "Baba Yaga"…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

a Philips UFO record player from the 1960’s that belonged to my grandparents ….

it hasn’t been played in about 25 years….

As far as I recall it needs a new stylus but otherwise in close to mint condition….

I had to keep it back from another family member who was trying to commandeer it and donate it to his pal working in the charity shop… they go for around 450 euros in good condition so if it was going anywhere it wasn’t to a shelf in a charity shop but it holds too much sentimental value to go anywhere…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

1978 sharp RP-1122H turntable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Baybay

1985 Breville toasted sandwich maker which still works perfectly.

And i just remembered i have my parents electric steam iron which was given to them as a wedding present. It also still works but is so heavy that’d it nearly take out the creases without heat! They got married in 1957.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Fathers Gillette 1959 fatboy DE razor. Used every day.

Master of the Universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Technology that still gets regular use? I’ve an old Gibson Les Paul that still comes out to play. Built 1969. Lovely instrument, although if it were 10 years older I could sell it and retire…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Technics 1210’s I bought in 1999 and a couple hundred vinyls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

HP41 calculator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've a WW1 kit razor. Still useable.

A bit of flint still used to get a camp fire going.

As was said, define technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mine is a similar story. I paid £120 about 30 years ago…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

A Sony black and white portable TV from around 1970. Still works but more of a display piece nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Household item, most probably my breville sandwich toaster😁

Other stuff, I suppose my 1964 Accutron Astronaut watch that my younglad has commandeered!

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Phillips VCR player.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a few cameras dating from decades ago. including a rolleiflex. and it's possibly worth a little more than i thought!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cutting edge technology ?

Paging @Wibbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭JMcL

I have my Commodore 64 with cassette drive and floppy disk from 1983/4. It's in mint condition to look at but no idea if it still actually works (not sure how easy it would be to plug into a display these days).

I've also got a Rega Planar 3 turntable (and assorted other HiFi gear) from the early 90s, but again it's not currently in use (letting my hipster credentials down here)

Of stuff that does work and gets regular use, my Kenwood Major is about 25 years young at this stage and despite having produced many pizzas/bread/cakes in that time, I'd say it may outlive me.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

Morphy Richards Alarm clock - Radio.

Yes folks an Alarm clock - that was also a Radio!! Am & FM Channels.

Red Digital Numbers and a very low humming noise every now and again. Bought it in College and it still greats me each morning.

No need for the alarm since 2010 mind you as I have 3 kids.

Master of the Universe

Actually along those lines, I've my great Granddad's Kodak Jr that he gave me about twenty years ago. If I remember correctly the date of manufacture was in the '20s.

It's actually in amazing condition and the shutter still clicks away on it.

Have always meant to pick up some film to see if I can get any pictures out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My OH ?

My brother in law has one of the 2019 faithful reissues of the bursts. He got it secondhand, and the little cap on the pickup selector switch was missing. It cost him something like 50 quid to replace as I think the proper part is made from Bakelite rather than plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

you can't get film for those over the counter anymore - it's 620 and has been discontinued for decades. you can however apparently re-spool 120 on the 620 reels though.

also, speaking of guitars and old school tech; i'm currently making an electric guitar and have made good use of some woodworking equipment which dates back possibly as far as the 30s or 40s. my dad thinks the spokeshave is probably as old as he is, it came from my grandfather's workshop. not sure about the planes, i bought them with no info as to age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I still regularly use my great-grandfathers's pig gut condom, that was passed down to my grandfather, father and then me.

Although reading that sentence back makes me wonder about its effectiveness...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭seablue

I have a Sony Walkman that I've kept for nostalgic reasons.

• I have a non-electronic pilot’s computer from 1981, used for navigation, fuel endurance and other calculations. Slide rule type thing. You could buy electronic ones, but they cost nearly quarter as much as the airplane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've a Sony Minidisc Walkman that I still use from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Clock from when my great granddad used to run a post office in Netherlands. It is mechanical but with a little motor that runs off the mains to wind it automatically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Are you Amish? If so, could you build me a barn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I also have a Sony Walkman from 1998… the sound was incredible… a live album I had by The Jam was a favourite to play and if you closed your eyes you could swear you were there. Hasn’t seen any action in 18-20 years I’d guesstimate. It’s around somewhere but I can’t put my hand on it… or find an accurate pic without knowing the model number.

That was replaced in around 2001/2002 by one of these…

sound was again unbelievably great but it absolutely chewed the batteries…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

I’ve a kenwood food mixer my parents got as a honeymoon present in 72. Still works perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I use my mother's Kenwood Chef every week. A wedding present in 1970, has been repaired twice in the electrical repair shop in Harold's cross.

I also use (though rarely) her Toyota sewing machine that was also a wedding present.

There's an iron around as well, but don't tend to use it... as someone else said very, very heavy. Have a 1940s toaster that I just wouldn't be brave enough to plug in (would have to replace the round plug first)

that does say a lot about how repairable most modern goods are though.

the only time recently i've come across a repairable kitchen implement which is less than probably 10 or 15 years old, is a kenwood mixer, and that's because it was an expensive one; and thinking about it, being pedantic, it's not so much that it's repairable it's just that some common spares are available, due to it being a reasonably pricey one (my mother in law was given it when she was in the audience on the late late)

i also have a pair of headphones i bought in 1998 i think, for which replacement ear pads are still available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Is the clock mounted sideways, the picture taken sideways, or the text on the clock printed sideways?

The ultimate mind melt would be if it was all three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Having a very young daughter who's growing up in a digital age, I wanted something to show her that music didn't and doesn't just come from Google, so I bought a Teac CX-310 cassette deck, which I think came out in 1980. I love my HI-Fi and while I have plenty of CDs and there are various things around the house that can play CDs, they are hidden away whilst playing. With this she can see the cassette turning while the music is playing.

I just wanted her to understand that music was/is a physical tangible thing and not just something you asked Google to do.

I also have one of these which I haven't used in some years but it does still work and produces a lovely image. They were made sometime between 1967-1970:

Post edited by Kintarō Hattori on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I had a red one circa late 70s - very similar design -I still remember the light clunk sound of that dial as you switched channel and the hiss when there was no channel available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Whilst I have a few cameras from the 1950s I also have a Kodak Disc camera- from early 1980s - anyone remember these?

I wonder can you get a disc film still? Would love to take a few photos with it but obviously then I’d have to find a place to develop that film/ probably no chance of that

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marlay

In case you're curious about trying out the C64 Google 'C64 brick of death' before you use the original power adapter. My own C64 is early 90s so not so old. Also a grim shade of yellow now unfortunately. Not going to be retrobrighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Air-driven aquarium tank ornament of a diver holding a chest. Probably from the 1940's. Made of lead, woot! With a dead coral bit as the base, to complete the eco-hostile ensemble.

A coconut (guess that's not technology) from the 1975 premier of Monty Python and the Holy Grail in NYC, handed to me by Graham Chapman. They were technology in the movie, at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement