Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Auschwitz

• 18-09-2023 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

Hello,

There are flights from Shannon to Krakow 2-3 times a week and OH and I are going to head over to tour Auschwitz. There is a very early flight that gets in around 9 am on Saturday and then departing on on Sunday evening so it would be a quick turnaround.

Has anyone visited Auschwitz and is Krakow a good city to stay overnight?

Any tips on transport as the camp is about 60kms from Krakow so do we need to rent a car or is there convenient public transport serving the airport, city, and Auschwitz?

Lastly, would it be too cold to do this trip in November or should we wait till spring 2024? I have never been to Poland so apologies for all the questions.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Nice city. Good and cheap food/drinks. Hotels weren't too pricey either but that was a few years ago. I was there in November as well and it wasn't too cold, nothing extreme anyway. There's plenty of organised tours that leave from Krakow that go to Auschwitz. Have a look at the departure times of the tours. They may suit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It's a while since I was there but we booked a guided tour (from memory booked via the hotel) which included a bus to and from it. Definitely do a guided tour is my advice.

We enjoyed our stay in Krakow and as pp said, it wasn't overly expensive. It was in September so I don't really know as regards weather in winter time.

The Salt Mines are well worth a visit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Krakow is a lovely city, lots to see. The town centre is gorgeous and there are plenty of good walking tours which would cover the main sights - old town, schindler's factory, Wawel Castle and Kazimierz.

If you're visiting Auschwitz without a guide check the rules for November because unguided visitors are only allowed in at certain times of the day. I've only been in the warmer months but with November you could be in only 4 or 5 degree so make sure you're prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Cool city, really worth a visit i would try and go when the weather is nicer though cause it can get very cold.

with regerds Auswitz / birkenau we booked a private car for the trip out there.

Its a harrowing place. Dont know what else to say about it, worth a visit but a difficult place to see from an emotional point of view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Any tips on transport as the camp is about 60kms from Krakow so do we need to rent a car or is there convenient public transport serving the airport, city, and Auschwitz?

When I was there in 2010 there were regular trains going to Auschwitz from Krakow. There are probably busses too.

Make sure you get there early enough to get on one of the tours of Auschwitz because that will really enhance your experience. When I went I arrived too late for the tours, and so I could only wander around by myself without the tour guides providing context and information about what I was seeing.

Also, please be respectful and perhaps somber when in the camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭thebiglad

You will easily pick up a tour to Auschwitz in Krakow, guided tours are restricted at Auschwitz unless you have an official guide - the tour is definitely worth it but, there are plenty of information boards to make your own way round.

As mentioned by a previous poster, definitely visit the Salt Mine too.

Krakow is small enough but plenty to see - great choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Krakow is lovely to stay in and well worth spending a bit of time in for itself. I would completely recommend getting a guided tour of Auschwitz if going. The one I went on was organised as part of the booking of the trip but most will include the bus there & back. The guided part when I was there was only for the Auschwitz 1 camp with the other being self guided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,638 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Auschwitz is harrowing, no other way of saying it. Leave it as the last thing you do, otherwise it can put a downer on the holiday. However, it is possibly one place that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Hard to comprehend it.

Krakow is a beautiful city, lovely people, expensive around the square to eat, even going back a few streets make it cheaper.

The salt mines are awesome, as others have said. On list to go back to again.

Polish food can be somewhat bland and stodgy. Look for alternatives.

As the previous poster said the camp and is quite depressing. Try to take a longer tour, one that gives you time to ponder the victims and also to visit both camps 1 and 2.

Advertisement