Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would 3k be enough to get you started on cycling accessories?

Options
  • 18-09-2023 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭

A few items you might be needing

Bicycle computer

Helmet

bicycle Locks

Front lights

Back lights

Water bottle and cage

Floor pump

Spare tubes

Spare tyres

Mini pump

Bike tools

Puncture repair kit

bike cleaning tools

bike cleaning supplies

wet chain lube

dry chain lube

Bike stand

Rain jacket

Rain trousers

winter Cycling jersey

Summer cycling jersey

cycling socks

cycling shoes

Overshoes

Padded shorts

Padded tights

Winter Sunglasses

Summer sunglasses

Car rack

Mudguards

Panniers

Pannier rack

winter gloves

summer gloves

Saddle bag

Frame bag

New Saddle

Pedals

Did I miss anything...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,450 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

should be well enough, under a grand would probably also get you going, but 3k should get you a good machine, with all the other bits and bobs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you planning on going bikepacking, with a car? pannier bags, and saddle bag, and frame bag, and car rack?

anyway, you don't need half those accessories just to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yeah that's a long list...

If you're new to cycling don't rush out and buy loads of stuff just because. Determine your real needs, research research research and buy once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Buy what you need as you need it - as an example, get a winter jersey/jacket now and leave purchasing the summer one until March/April.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭con747

O/H got a Trek last year on the bike to work scheme, I got everything needed for leisure cycling online for less than €160, pump, spare tube, spare tyre, Kryptonite lock and cable, puncture kit, basic tool kit, 20 litre waterproof basket for the handlebars, front and rear lights, helmet with a rear multi mode light, 2 water bottles and cages, 1 spare of each cable and probably stuff I can't remember!

I got most of it in the Amazon sales though and was in the trade a very long time ago so didn't buy crap. I also have no shortage of tools so I just bought the basic set to keep in the basket.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

buy the summer gear now as its all on sale!

keep your gear simple and affordable. you don't need expensive stuff just to go out and cycle.

If starting out I wouldn't be spending a ball of money on stuff. Buy a used bike with some of the stuff listed above and see if the sport is for you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You also pick up bargains along the way. Aldi have a bike special coming up next week where you can get a few essentials for cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

Post edited by f1000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That's a long list, with a lot of stuff you won't necessarily need.

Valid point about summer gear being on sale at this time of year. Some good bargains to be had for sure

But as the OP is just starting out, there’s a possibility that they may decide that cycling is not for them (mad I know but it does happen) and then there’s a heap of summer gear and money wasted.

Buy what’s needed is what I’d do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭cletus

Spare bell, in case the first one stops working?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

In that situation, coming into winter is the worst time of year to start into cycling. Way more gear needed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I have never used Rain trousers in ten or so years of cycling so that's one item out, I was cycling for years before getting a bike computer that's a big saving there, plenty of apps to get you started on the phone but also if needed you can pickup a cheaper second hand one. No need to keep a stock of spare tyres. No need to for sperate wet and dry lube. No need for separate winter and summer sunglasses. Chances are all the racks and bags aren't needed unless bike packing or commuting and at that not all are needed. Easily a grand saved there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, new saddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you're starting out, at 3000 euro I'd expect the bike to be included in the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Helmet, lock, lights, bell, shoes and pedals if you'll be clipping in, bib shorts & jersey, chamois creme, rain jacket and some spare tubes. Pick up the rest as you go. You'll develop a better idea of what you want as you get into the sport.

It's easy to get carried away, I bought rain trousers I hate and overshoes which were more of a pain than they were worth. Arm covers too, what a waste for me. But you may decide you'd like these things.

If you buy it all at the beginning you'll be denying yourself hours of online fantasy shopping for new accessories :)

i've never used chamois cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭cletus

Nor me.

I'm not sure how serious the op was with the list.

It's the same poster who made the "Cycling faster to negate air pollution" thread, or whatever it was

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This has to be a joke. Are we talking getting started on cycling to work? Cycling as a hobby? Racing? Mountain Biking?

Can't take this poster seriously after reading their other posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Seems more like a list to start a cycling accessories shop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I've revised your essential list..

I'm assuming you don't have a bike already? This is just to get you started. Add to it later as you go along.

Bike.

bicycle Lock

Front lights

Back lights

Water bottle and cage

Floor pump

Spare tube

Mini pump

Puncture repair kit

bike cleaning supplies? (Degreaser and Fairy liquid!)

Wet chain lube

Rain jacket

winter Cycling jersey

cycling shoes

Overshoes

Padded tights

Winter glasses / Photochromatic lens

winter gloves

Saddle bag - (Optional)

Pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yeah we've been trolled...

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

If you start in the winter and stick with it then summer will see you hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

I guess GCN convinced me of that one. I'll give it go without it next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

That's how I priced it up, and that was for mid range gear . Nearly all of that gear would be considered necessary for most people if you cycle alot . 3k would be conservative estimate as well. You could spend double that on decent gear

A bike computer isn't essential but is probably the most worthwhile accesory to have

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I suspect the point of the post is to 'prove' that cycling is out of reach for the ordinary worker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You could spend 10% or less too on decent gear too

Advertisement