Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would 3k be enough to get you started on cycling accessories?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I rode for years in jeans and a t shirt, commuted to work, social events, then college and the only bike essentials I had to buy were a lock and lights.

So yes, it's case dependent but you can pick up a bike and 'essentials' for very little. Anyone pushing the idea it's out of reach is either a snob or ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

It’s a bit like asking, would 3k be enough to buy all the gear I need for a walk in the countryside? For sure you could buy the best of rainproof gear, boots, navigation system/watch, base layers, walking sticks, fancy water bottles, hiking packs, food containers, etc etc & burn through 3k fairly fast. There’s no end to what you could spend.

On the other hand you could just grab the trainers and jacket you already have and head out.

Later if you think it’s worthwhile for you to spend an extra €10/50/100 or whatever on nicer/more comfortable/better performing boots or jacket or anything else by all means go ahead.

The point is you don’t ‘need’ any of it to go for a walk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just for the laugh, and i know i should not be humouring nonsense, but here's a sample estimate. and i binned the car rack and new saddle as things 'needed to get you started cycling'.

it's also assuming you're buying new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Genuinely, what is this for? Are you writing a newspaper article.

I cycle every day of the year. Ive spent maybe 600 on accessories, and would have a lot of the items you mention. Helmet is the most expensive part of that. LIDL sales do accessories for next to nothing. Not by a long shot are all of these 'necessary'. EG Bike Computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The other thing is - these are long lasting items. If I buy a Rapha jersey for 80 or 90 (sale price) - it will last me 5 years. Likewise a saddle bag or a pump or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

That is the price if you were shopping in lidl or Aldi on absolute rock bottom prices. The value in buying mid price gear is that it lasts more than a season. That's the minimum you should be paying!

Aldi/lidl are great for offering cycling gear at fair prices.Some of the gear in lidl/aldi can be good quality too but the vast majority of it is absolute junk that has to be discarde!. The dictum buy cheap buy twice applies here!

Who buys a 30 euro lock and I'm being serious...

100 euro bike computer?.If you have a genuine interest in this technology, you need to pay alot more.A mid range garmin 530 from 2019 is 300 euro!

Rain gear for 50 euros is not realistic for any sort of value for performance

All the cycling clothing you listed is unrealistic for any sort of quality/value for performance. Sunglasses for 20 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭cletus

I wear €2 sunglasses. My good pair cost me a tenner.

Anyway, have you noting better to do on a Saturday night?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anyway, have you noting better to do on a Saturday night?

Erm, it's Friday! 😎

Yeah, well, have you nothing better to do on a Friday night 😂

• Advertisement

My Aldi lights are now close to 5 years old and are on par with mid to high level lezynes that sell for 100euro, I got a set for 20euro. Most of their stuff is more than adequate. I have always found their stuff to be mid tier, LIDL typically a bit worse , clothing is both their weak spots but usable.

The thread asks, would 3k be enough to get you started (with no clarity on in what context, commuting, sunday spins, audaxes, racing etc) on cycling accessories. The answer is yes, more than enough by a long shot. For most cyclists that 3k will include the bike as well.

With no effort:

Bike - decent ones here and adverts for under 1.5k

Lights - Aldi ones are decent - frequently pick up a set for sub 30euro

Lock - I would be looking at 200euro here

Clothes - MTB Shorts, decent socks and technical t shirt (200euro max) or DHB or local sales for bib shorts and jersey (again 200 is way over)

Shoes - From runners to SPDs to 3 bolt, you will get decent ones at under 200

Helmet - if you want - cracking one on CRC for 50euro in bargain alerts at the minute, they also sell a decent full face from Brand X for 50 as well

So 2.2k (and that isn't bargain hunting) for any type of cycling you chose, MTB, commuting, racing, etc.

Leaves 800 bills for your computer that you don't technically need

With very little effort I could probably achieve the same for under 2k

Bike - seen a few worthy ones for under 1k

Lights - 30euro

Lock - Get a Kryptonite set on sale all the time for 100euro

Clothes - MTB Shorts (Endura 60), decent socks(10)and technical t shirt(50) (120) or DHB bibs and jersey (100) plus socks(10)

Shoes - From runners to SPDs to 3 bolt loads at sub 100 on cycling sites

Helmet - 50 euro

Down to 1400 with no effort and and Edge 130 for 130, so €1530 including bike

With a bit of effort:

Bike - seen a vintage steel race steed on adverts in VGC for under €400

Lights - 30euro

Lock - Get a Kryptonite set on sale all the time for 100euro (I won't go lower than this)

Clothes - MTB Shorts (Endura 60), decent socks(10)and technical t shirt(50) (120) or DHB bibs and jersey (100) plus socks(10)

Shoes - From runners to SPDs to 3 bolt loads at sub 100 on cycling sites

Helmet - 50 euro

With the edge 130 or a Wahoo ELMNT Roam, about a grand.

I'm married with kids - of course I've nothing better to do than sit reading boards!

Well that's 3 of us

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Remind me what the phrase 'getting you started' means. I got back cycling ten years ago or so and the grand total I've spent on cycling computers in that time is €45. The only reason I might be upgrading now is I've lost the damn thing.

As has been mentioned above, you never specified what sort of cycling but seem to have listed eventualities for them all.

Anyway, you said 3k which implied you'd worked out the figures; where are your workings?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you actually NEED a cycling computer though? I hear unconfirmed rumours that the bike will actually move without a computer attached, and you can use apps on your phone to track your route.

You do need one. A phone at least. If it's not on Strava, your cycle did not happen.

I'll be honest, I think the op's estimate is a touch conservative.

First of all, it's only allowing for one bike. We all know you need more than one bike.

Secondly, now that you've got two bikes, you need two new sets of wheels. We all know stock wheels are no good, so two new sets of deep rim carbon wheels.

Next, obviously you're not putting the stock tyres on new rims, so two new sets of René Herse's best, please.

Now, it's time to get your bikes on the scales. How much do they weigh? Doesn't matter, they're too heavy.

Time for carbon everything... everything. Carbon bottle cages, carbon pedals, carbon spacers (maybe not spacers, your handlebars should be slammed. Slammed, I tell you).

Now that your bike is sorted, it's time for clothes. Forget Lidl, forget Aldi, forget Galibier, forget DHB. If your clothes don't say Rapha, they won't work.

Despite @AndrewJRenko's assertion that you don't need a bicycle computer (he's only a commuter, what would he know), you need to listen to @magicbastarder, if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen. Therefore you need a Garmin (or a Wahoo, if you're running SRAM on your multiple bikes). I'd recommend the Garmin 1040 Solar. Not because we get enough sunshine in Ireland for it to be of benefit, but because it's the most expensive, and we all know that's the most important thing.

Secondly, now that you've got two bikes...

You seem to be forgetting that you now need another bike!

• Advertisement

I actually taught that equation to one of my 5th year classes last Friday.

I was asked that most ridiculous of questions, "Why do you have so many bikes?"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You don't need a bike computer to be on Strava. Use your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Apparently, in the olden days, cyclists were able to remember what routes they took themselves. They didn't need a computer to track them.

No, NO, NO!

Neither of ye are getting it. The goal is to spend the most money possible.

Both of ye are talking as if the goal was to enjoy riding your bike, or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Power meter

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Might need one of these as well

Only 175 (plus delivery)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

decathlon mtb gear is pretty good especially shorts and you can buy online with returns

Advertisement