Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice re: moving from Sky Q to Freesat

Options
  • 19-09-2023 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all

Probably going to sound thick here but I don't even know where to start and I'm not tech savvy at all.

I've just cancelled Sky Q and I'm looking for an option that will let me watch and record UK and Irish free to air channels, preferably one that won't need any new cables etc installed and that is good to go out of the box .

Is this even possible? I have the dish from Sky but no aerial.

Thanks in advance of any assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Your lnb on dish will need to be changed as its not compatible with freesat boxes.

There is a thread on Zgemma H7S which is 2 sat tuners and 1 for Saorview and depending location an aerial

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dermo2014

The latest freesat recorder boxes are compatible with the sky q (wideband) lnb and will work out of the box.

You will need to add / install an aerial to receive the irish channels, you could view them through your tv tuner, but you won't be able to record them.

The Zgemma mentioned above will allow you to have a sky lookalike setup but will needs a good bit of setup and configuring.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Freesat 4K box is the easiest swap for you OP, it’s essentially plug and play. But it comes at a price and I’m not just talking about the fact that it’s one of the most expensive FTA satellite receivers on the market. You will not be able to do multiroom with this set up if that’s important to you. You’ll need to swap the LNB for a quad LNB if you need that.

Also it’s buggy. For me the ongoing issue is every time I boot up, after I see the “We are setting up your satellite dish” for what seems like an eternity, the screen goes black and remains black till I change the channel. It works fine then, but I have heard of other issues.

It won’t support RTE/VMTV, you’ll need another solution (Saorview or streaming) for them.

But the good thing about Freesat over the generics is that once it’s tuned in - a straightforward process of putting in your favoured UK postcode - you’ll never need to rescan again. No coming home to find the BBC have had a channel reshuffle and you need to rescan your channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Apparently you can get rid of that dish setup startup screen by going into System Settings -> Standby Mode -> select "Active Mode". Although you do have to login to your Freesat account on the box before this option is available.

Also the Sky Q lnb should work fine with the box but on initial setup the common advise is to go through as much of the setup process as possible, if the box can't find any channels put it into standby for 2-3 hours then a software update should occur and hopefully the channels will have appeared next time you start the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭waywill1966

I got one of those freesat recordable boxs when i cancelled Sky! Like you said the only down side is the loss of the Irish channels but for me I have them on streaming apps on the smart tv although the RTE player isnt live unlike Virgin and TG4!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There are other platforms where the RTE app does offer live streams - certainly the iOS and Apple TV versions do. I think they assume if you’re watching on the smart TV version you have access to Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭unimaginativeusername

Can I piggyback on this thread please as I'm not sure if the above recs will work for me as I have a slightly different set up.

I'm in an apartment, in Dublin. No dish (personal or communal). I have Saorview with this aerial but would love to have an option to watch free to air UK channels. Preferably one that can record but not the end of the world if not as I mostly want it for live viewing, as most things are on catch up (bar the BBC).

Would these boxes work for me given I don't have a satellite? I thought they only worked if close to the border?

DID sell this but not sure it works without a dish or in my location.

I'm also thick so any advice would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Isn't HDR also bugged on those boxes? Where HDR is continually triggered if you're outputting at 4k resolution, regardless of the source material?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You will need a dish for UK channels.

NB the boxes which work near the border, with an aerial, are FreeVIEW

The boxes which work anywhere in Ireland but need a dish, are FreeSAT

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭unimaginativeusername

Thank you. These three sentences are the clearest answer I've found on the subject!

Advertisement