Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Rads off Insulated Plasterboard

Options
  • 20-09-2023 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I am drylining a room with 50mm insulated plasterboard this will be fixed to a masonry wall with the mushroom fittings. I am wondering how to hang the central heating rad. It's a double rad 4ft long so quite heavy. Can I hang this directly off the board or do I need to get some type of wall brackets that will reach out beyond the insulationboard ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Corefix through the insulation and into the block is one way to do it:

Other option is to install battons behind the insulated plasterboard and screw into these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

Try these

https://amzn.eu/d/740WVJ5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I've done what @10-10-20 suggested re battens and it worked well, a bit more work involved but worth it I felt.

I screwed battens to the wall before fitting the insulated slabs and cut corresponding strips out the insulation to fix the rads to. The onle issue is 2 inch battens are usually 44 mm so either shim them to the 50mm or rip down 3 inch battens if you can't find 50mm ones. When cutting out the insulation strips don't puncture the vapour control layer on the back of the plasterboard. I put a a strip of 100mm vapour barriier on the front and back of the battens.

Advertisement