Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Agnes Wed 27 Sept 2023.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ye even bbc knocked down wind speeds to between 60 and 75mph gusts for tomorrow so only orange warnings going by that

We'll have to see 👀 what models show but at present it is only showing high end orange warnings ,I can see a few more counties being added into orange I honestly think the east should be anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

With all due respect Dazler, you're making a lot of statements on this thread, I'm sure you're just trying to be helpful but it's mostly pure speculation on your part and quite misleading for others trying to get a grasp of what's likely going to happen.

I know it's not 76mph is red so it's almost red territory

I am making alot of statements but it's only what I can see on models , weather has been a huge interest to me since I've been 6 years old ( huge part of it is because i have autism so strong interest are common) and still 20 years on its still a major interest, sorry if I annoyed ya

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork Airport expecting gusts up to 60kts from 12pm-2pm, that's 111km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

For wind warnings would suggest red Kerry, Cork, Waterford (although verifying as orange inland), then orange Limerick, Tipps, Kilkenny, Carlow, Wexford, Wicklow, and yellow rest of country. A few areas of orange no doubt verifying in coastal Dublin, exposed portions of Kildare and Laois so could add those, even Clare on backside of circulation in a few spots. But large part of population as always in yellow even if portions of land in orange.

Peak gusts 130 or even 140 km/hr in south Kerry and possibly southwest Cork (160 Fastnet I suppose), 120-130 as far east as about Tramore. Closer to 110-120 around southeast coast and up towards Dublin. Storm looks almost identical on GFS and Arpege now, peaks around 10-11 o'clock approaching Kerry.

Rainfall warnings probably okay as is, could verify red in south Kerry and southwest Cork however. Kerry and west Cork need to be on high alert, would not recommend road travel in west munster from about 0700h to at least 1300h or time past a reasonable clean-up of fallen trees and local washouts from runoff likely coming out of higher terrain for several hours.

Expect perhaps a double peak wind structure in parts of east, initial southeast blast late morning to 1 pm, afternoon lull as low begins to weaken, secondary peak as circulation tightens with closer approach of low later afternoon and better directionality inland for wind speeds. Will predict highest gusts to be around 95-105 for Dublin area, 80-90 Galway (100 at mace head), 60-80 well inland. Pulse cycle favours coastal overperformer and inland underperformer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I see you've changed your mind MT. Calling for red now for the Southwest. I think the timing of this, and trees full of leaf will cause lots of problems getting kids home from school etc. Country roads in Cork/Kerry will almost certainly get blocked midday to 6pm. Wind orange but impacts will be red. There should really be a case for closing schools but work goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Hook Head is looking interesting tomorrow. It might be a red area for the wexford without making the county red itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭pureza

I'm expecting an interesting day at my south wicklow location being on a small bit of headland totally exposed to the south and Southeast

The sea is 2kms due south and 2kms due east

We are also very exposed to the SW

I've a 10m wind pole attached to the Davis so will see what happens and post here,I am expecting gusts to go about 100kmh frequently for a while,we'll see

The only way of schools closing really is if they upgrade to red. What I would do is issue a red for the South from say 11am to 3pm. This would be enough to close schools and let work carry on maybe. Otherwise Met Eireann should contact the dept of education to ask for schools to close due to timing of storm etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met Eireann have this Map which is quite accurate except I can see there being winds in excess of 90kph in the West and North so should be yellow here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Also be interested to see your data, being near Rathdrum myself about 13km from the coast it will be interesting to see how wild it gets. I'm at an elevation of 60m though which is one of the lowest points in the area. Rathdrum itself is about 140m so depending on wind direction we can sometimes escape the worst of it, or it gets funneled our way and makes it feel worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's almost 7pm, so I'd imagine at this stage schools are staying open. As far as I recall around 7 or 8pm would usually be around the latest that the call is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭thomasking22008

Will weather can be change anytime if go orange or red for west of Ireland or stay yellow as normal

I just mowed my lawn. So it got a trim and will get a wash and blow tomorrow ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Schools would not be a problem if the modern ones were not so badly built

I would not like to see a true red situation hitting any of them with children inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Do your schools have any half-day programs or are the kids all in school from say 0800 to 1500? Asking because the most dangerous time to be out walking or driving is likely to be around that noon time end or start of half day. For Cork and Limerick, would suppose an early drop off or walk and a late pick up or walk might be safer than conditions to be expected late morning to early afternoon. Would not be the day to let kids out early. Perhaps you don't have those sorts of programs, we do for youngest kids attending for half days and also so e of our schools are on two sets of start and end times.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

The storm centre is tracking right over Ireland, we will be impacted more than the U.K. Also it arrives here first, not after the U.K., yet they were out with the warnings earlier.

Met Eireann have form with this in the last number of months and it’s going to cause someone’s life to be lost unnecessarily if they continue this practice of late warnings, or warnings after the fact or refusing to name a storm that’s more impactful than forecast.

For example, last June we planned a sports day for a primary school. The weather forecast at the time was warm with a chance of some showers. No mention of thunder. Our whole school was over on the pitch when this black cloud appeared and a severe thunder and lightning storm occurred. The pitch got struck by lightning and we’d to run for cover in a clubhouse urgently with over 200+ children. Checked met eireann, orange thunderstorm warning issued as we got inside. That’s not what a forecasting service should do, they are supposed to at least give warning to the possibility of this occurring. This is one example of many lately where they issue a late orange, a quick orange warning either during or after the fact to cover themselves. Some people have to be out in the weather and this isn’t good enough IMO.

Would you believe most secondary schools get a half day on Wednesday. Primary tend to close every 2 to 3. So worst case scenario tomorrow for all schools in Southwest

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

secondary schools usually finish around one on a Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

West gone Yellow now could see this change as the wind backs to the West later in the day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Have set up a timelpase for tomorrow here near Tralee , a before and after 😀 will see if branches or trees are knocked over.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Schools can make that calls on a local when under a orange warning for wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Good stuff from the master yet again

No Sailing Wed😎

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If they forecasted a orange thundershower warning and you cancelled your sports day and you didn't have a thunderstorm. Would you be giving out?

Weather is unpredictable and thunderstorms can bubble up without warning over the course of a few hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Allmost all primary schools will have preschool classes that would start and finish around midday and junior and senior infants will be finishing around 2

Advertisement