Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Agnes Wed 27 Sept 2023.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nothing too 'exciting' yet in 0700 reports. Sherkin and Valentia gusting 65km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Many will like the sound of your user-name this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah I was awake around 4am and it was eerily calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,486 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Raining in Sth Kilkenny.... Not windy yet

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Raining here in Galway City for about the last half hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭pureza

Gusting to 40kmh in Arklow last hour SSE

Dry

Pressure falling rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Bucketing down in Cork city. Not majorly windy yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Still a way off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The later it lands the weaker it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What time is landfall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

What's the current guidance for the Wicklow and Wexford areas? The 0Z models are a bit all over the place as far as I can see now, between a windy day (GFS) and red level gusts (AROME)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Now we’re really starting to motor. North of Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Landfall 1500-1600h but passing close to Valentia around 1200-1300h.

I would not expect red level gusts in Wicklow, even orange could be a stretch. Pressure at K2 is 982 and it is 150 k east of low centre which is probably close to 970. Question is, which guidance is correct, the slow filling next 3-6h or steady state then filling after passing Kerry?

A blend would suggest this peaks at around 60-65 kt gusts in exposed parts of south coast. I expect 40-50 kt gusts on east coast but see potential for 55-60 if strongest guidance verifies. That could be earlier than expected, these peak gusts could be around 1-3 this afternoon if a broken squall line feature develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭secman

Looking at the graphics on Windy App it has lost power, the eye of it is very much considerably wider than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gusts hitting my house in cork City gradually starting to get stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Absolutely bucketing down outside Mallow here. Gusts too are building

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Raining in north Kerry. Nothing unusual here though I kept junior home from school. It's rural and back roads won't be the place to be at 2.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Has it downgraded a bit since yesterdays guidance?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Cork AP gusting 80km/h in 0800 reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

That drier air being wrapped in though 😍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Heavy rain in Fermoy at the moment, getting gusty too.

Expect standing water on the M8 as it looks like all the drains are blocked, judging by the plant growth in them...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I might be wrong but I don't think Windy shows a live view, it shows forecasts based on the models it has and defaults to ECM so what you are seeing is the ECM forecasted low shape and position at the current time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

I was literally about to type out what you've just done. To be clear, I have the same opinion as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Everything I am seeing is a downgrade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

IMO no upgrades overnight, some models have trimmed down the wind speeds a bit but others like the HI Res HARMONIE holding firm, gusting 100 to 110 Km/h in the Orange level counties, more in coastal areas in the SW, S, SE , E perhaps ,strong winds for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 doralives

Red or Dead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup it's downgraded a bit Thank God. Heavy rain and winds 100kph to 120kph. A lot of heavy rain and flooding too though and power cuts with thunder likely later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Looking at the standing water already, I'd say Cork is going to be a nightmare later in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ludeen

I'm right opposite Roches point rain and wind starting to rise now, visibility declining .

Advertisement