Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkingtag.ie

Options
  • 21-09-2023 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

So I was home in ireland with my uk car a few months ago and wanted to park in Dublin cc, didnt have any change so had to register for parkingtag.ie. I have about 10 parking apps in the UK so it was just another app. They said I needed to to top up 10€ so I went ahead and did it. Parking fee was 6.80, so I had credit.

Now 5 months later I see that they took two further transactions of 10€ from my account in ireland, when I challenged them they said it was an auto-topup, due to the fact I dropped below the minimum funds, and that there was a monthly maintenance charge for having the app of 99c!

They will now refund me only 18€ as they cannot refund the maintanence charge, so my parking for 2hrs in May has cost me 12€. Absolute scam....They tell me that its in the T&Cs..yes it is buried in there..not anywhere obvious, and I would definitely not have signed up for some pay by month app for parking in Dublin and based on my experience with all the other apps, would not have assumed ANY monthly fee. It is NOT normal.

TLDR they wont refund the fees, say its "impossible"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Scammed by 2 euro. That's a real shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

And the €3.20 that was left on the account after the initial parking charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you set up a virtual Revolut card just for this account, you can freeze the card to fend off their automatic top ups, until you actually need to park.

The minimum balance of €10 is a bit of a scam.

I missed that part. But in any event the OP hasn't been scammed as such as they have conceded that all the charges were in the T&C's

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think you're being a little bit unfair there Muffler.

Obviously the word 'scam' is slightly OTT, but it is a bullshít term on the app, let's be fair about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭feelings

From the main page...

How It Works

"Monthly Maintenance Fee, as of the 1st of October 2022, is €0.99 incl. VAT per vehicle."

No, not at all. The OP starts a discussion claiming he has been scammed when in actual fact he hasn't been. If we all ignored T&C's and then claimed to be scammed we would be flat out taking to discussion forums.

As posted above the service charge was fairly obvious. I appreciate it's not what the OP was expecting but I think they need to take a minute and read a little bit and then decide who was in the wrong.

Ya but the sarcasm/taking the mick out of him in your first response isn’t very fair in all honesty. A simple ‘to be fair, it says on the front page about a €0.99 charge so you can’t complain about that’ would’ve been sufficient.

E.G ‘feelings’ response

So apart from attacking my posts how have you contributed to the thread! Seriously is that the best you can do?

The best I can do? What are you talking about?

The first reply in the thread was from you; and instead of answering/trying to help the guy, you tried to take the piss out of him.

Even if the OP was 'wrong', it's not really in the spirit of the site. It was a genuine question(s) from him.

Since then, others (not you) have answered him or at least tried to help some bit, like Wheaty, Andrew and Feelings

• Advertisement

And still you just want to argue with me instead of making a positive contribution. Over and out.

You're a moderator on this site and should know better. Get a grip; jaysis.

Thread is a perfect example of why boards is dying a slow death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Ok so scam is a bit strong then. It's not super clear unless you really click through and I would not expect there to be a charge hence It's definitely a sharp practice. Charging a maintenance fee for a parking app.. As mentioned I have 7/8 of them, none with associated charges. You can argue UK is bigger market etc, but there is no need for that.

Anyway let's just close this mods, as it's gone ridiculous

Advertisement