Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom Tooth Removal under Local?

Options
  • 21-09-2023 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello! I have an appointment coming up soon to have my wisdom teeth removed. I’ve asked for no sedation, as I’d rather be awake. I have a severe fear of “being put to sleep” (makes me sound like a poor family pet saying it like that 🙈).

They’re all growing in a bit sideways, and all are poking through the gums so I’m assuming that means they’re erupted. No real issues other than pain here and there, but I’ve gone privately under Dr. Daphne Halley to get it done quick. €800 for the lot.

Anyone had their wisdom teeth out while awake? How was it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KosaH

Hi, Many years ago, I had a wisdom tooth removed. The dentist had 4 rooms, with patients in a chair in each room, and he moved between us regularly. I remember the injection, that was a bit sore, but not for long. Then every 5 mins he'd be back, poke around, and leave. After about the 3rd round, he said I could go..

I said but you have'nt taken the tooth out! He showed the bowl next to me with the tooth.. I had not realised he had removed it!

Hope your experience is as good as mine was!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daisy1215

Oh wow, brilliant! And you were awake for it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I got it done while awake, 4 teeth removed. They were more difficult than usual, apparently, so it took quite a while. It was fine even though the last tooth had to be broken before it would come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Had two out awake. No issue.

Paracetamol for a few days after. No need to be knocked out in my opinion.

Could think of better things to do with my day, but needs must!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

The majority of people have their wisdom teeth extracted while awake under local anaesthetic even in more complicated cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement