Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shimano crank recall

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just telling you what mine said, might be worth talking to yours and seeing what the actual procedure is but I would put money down that Shimano won't stand over a crank that a LBS agree has potential to be an issue, they would be fools to do so. Money down there isn't someone in Shimano getting paid to review all the cranks or pictures coming in. They aren't replacing it because they don't want the hassle, they are replacing them because their customers get new cranks and they reduce risk. From a H&S and customer relations, it is a win win, something that is very rare.

There is a pass/fail on the return form, you leave that blank and send that to Shimano. I don't know if their cranks have all been fails but they have said very few people have come in, most they have just put a 'blank' in on the form and all have been replaced but in casual discussion, they have had very few in so maybe that's the reason.

Personally any bike shop would be a fool to report pass, it is ewither a fail or a 'I don't know'.

I could be 100% wrong but from my perspective, any legal team or H&S person will tell you F that, just change them out. Shimano have more than enough reserves to cover every simgle one getting replaced, and most won't, and they know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭ciarano

OK thanks will contact my LBS again being honest I'm very wary now using potential dodgy cranks in fairness I have the cranks that match the recall so I really would like to have peace of mind and get replaced. It's really bad PR and reflects bad on the LBS if they say no after giving them years of business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Being in business with Shimano is a bit like Old Kent road being your only property in Monopoly or being the short stack at a poker table; you are getting fcuked

Completely agree unfortunately I have a load of cranks that I can't sell or replace at the moment

Absolute joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

• Advertisement

All my info now on the shimano data Base but I am going to call my LBS again

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭andyd12

I am going to go to the LBS and insist it is changed. I don't want to get ratty with the bike shop as I know it's not their fault. But it's really unacceptable from Shimano.

Out riding yesterday and could hear a new creaking noise from the bottom bracket(changed recently) / crank area. It doesn't inspire much confidence when cycling on public roads attached to a part which is ultimately flawed since the design stage.

Visual inspection is a joke. It could look fine today and not be fine tomorrow.

Exactly and €70 to the LBS to take the grief and suffer reputation from loyal customers being told no replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Went to my LBS and a new crank set is on the way. Failed the inspection.

They said fail rate is roughly 40%.

I am just happy it's being replaced. The more I thought about it the less enthusiastic I was about getting back onto the bike without it being rectified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Is there any shops in Dublin who are taking the same tack as Cramcycles Wexford one?

I'm finally fit enough to put the bike on rollers (Translation: my wife has agreed I can use them) and checked my cranks and they are part of the recall, and there is a creaking noise while cycling!

There is one in naas and was favorable in my instance. Something in that general area was creaking in the last few weeks also

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

So did they Immediately offer a replacement, or did they inspect, find something, then replace?

Naas isn't too far from me, and I could go there instead.

No they inspected. As I said before, fail rate is roughly 40% so they are obviously not failing all

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gmacww

I had two cranks in to a shop in Naas for inspection. A 6800 series which was perfect and showed no signs of any issues. That said they did say if you hear the slightest noise or notice anything of concern bring is straight back in.

My R8000 crank did show something (dunno what I didn't see it) so they sent it off to shimano and they just replaced it with the new ultegra crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Birka

How long did the process take? I've a couple of cranksets that seem to have failed inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I've had one replacement so far, leaving a bike in tomorrow for a service and will be requesting a crank inspection, its same era as the replaced one , and 2 more to go in !

Dropped mine into the bike shop on the 1st of Feb. They said it would be a few weeks. I havent heard anything yet

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Am I correct in understanding that they replace the whole chainset and not just the crank?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gmacww

Yes. In my case as it was an R-8000 that failed so I was given the new 8100 chainset but with 11speed chainrings. They have to replace the entire thing as the new crank is not compatible with the 8000 rings. Real first world problem here and yes I'm fully aware I'm semi complaining about being given a brand new chainset but the only downside is that the 8100 chainset is drab as heck. I much preferred the look of my 8000 series and it looked so much better on the bike.

@Birka I'd say I dropped mine in early October and got it back maybe 6 weeks later. Didn't bother me at all as it's the race bike and that was not being used. Winter bike passed inspection. They did tell me at the time (maybe different now) that Shimano were running low on chainsets so the turnaround was something of a lottery.

• Advertisement

Just received a call from workshop saying good news and bad news " unfortunately your crank has failed the inspection and will have to be replaced " . That's the good news 👏

vad news is, there is a considerable delay in getting cranksets in from UK at the moment, they haven't had any in last 6 weeks and don't have a definite date yet. Thankfully that's a summer bike. I enquired about getting 2 winter bikes checked, problem is they can't be used once failed, so need to hold off on them.

I enquired about how they test them, they use a "fault finding liquid" on the crank, fully wipe it totally dry, apply a bit of pressure and if said liquid appears from where cranks are bonded....its a fail.

Interesting !

i asked my LBS since last inspection of my 7 cranks that i was not confident and can a review be done?

Reply was Rep coming next week and will ask her ' i said tell her there all creaking :(

so basically no one gives a fook unless they break handy 70 euro a crank for a quick review and no consideration for the long term customer ,

Cant even resell them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

LOL, forgot about one of my spare bikes, turns out it has one of the recall cranks so will actually test out my LBS next week and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

Anyone in Galway/Mayo area take cranks for inspection to any shop?

Finally getting my TCR back early next week. Over 2 months waiting.

Shimano(Madison) sent the bike shop some 172.5 mm cranks "by mistake". I had 175mm. Bike shop asked me do I fancy shorter cranks which I was previously considering. Minimal enough change but win win for me.

I'm waiting since 15th Feb, 6 weeks now.,. Must put a call in on Tuesday next.

Called In last week, Maddison uk are very slow to ship the replacement, I'm no. 3 on a list in the LBS. They have no idea what time frame it will take ☹️ and no interest in applying pressure on Maddison to supply the units.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Birka

My cranks failed in early February. No sign of the replacements yet so I've two bikes off the road since then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I was listening to a recent episode of the Wild Ones podcast and they were covering a few cases in the UK where cranks had passed inspection only to fail a few months later. The gist of the Shimano response : the owner should regularly inspect their cranks and bring it in for an official inspection ONCE A YEAR. OK, the regular inspection is probably sound general advice, but how many people would inspect a crank for miniscule cracks on a regular basis were it not for this s**tshow?

• Advertisement

Spoke with a bikeshop owner recently who got a trade in. Inspected the cranks, passed and was sold to another customer.... 6 weeks later the cranks failed. Bike shop get the bad name here which is pretty sh*t

Advertisement