Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First-timer Disability Allowance application questions.

• 22-09-2023 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have advanced COPD and difficult talking and walking medical conditions which severely limit my job choices, but have been applying for remote jobs as there is nothing wrong with my mimd (I hope).

The Intreo/LAES people have been harassing me to get off Jobseekers Allowance and apply for Disability Allowance.

If I do apply for DA, there a a couple of questions they wouldn't give me straight answers for or weren't on webites:

• Do they cut you off Jobseekers as soon as they receive a DA application?
    • Unlikely to happen, but could I still work part-time one-off jobs if something suitable and remote came up (ege like fixing someones computer)?
    • I live in family home, is it possible to offer something like AirBnB if on DA?Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Firstly No, your Jobseekers Payment is not affected during the DA application.

Whilst you can work whilst on DA, personally I'd avoid any mention of work during the application process. Focus on the application and all that's required, Medical reports etc.

Thirdly, again getting ahead of yourself. Rental income is possible but will affect your means test.

The DA application is not straightforward and you'll need to have the support of your GP, who'll be required to fill in parts of the form. Try explain in as much detail how COPD effects you on a daily basis. If you've a confirmed diagnosis, try get a letter from your consultant, infact submit as much as possible, regular appointments etc.

You'll also be required to submit Bank Statements for the means test.

Applications can take up to 6 months, mine 2 months and you may be declined but appeal immediately.

Get cracking, once you've lodged application, Intero & Leas people will back off.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement