Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Noise Complaint from walking

Options
  • 22-09-2023 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So just some context here, I'm in a top floor apartment in an old part of Dublin where the floors creak every so often in specific spots but where im walking there is no creaking at least non that is audible on my side. I work from home so getting out for any meaningful time during the week can be near impossible some days given the situation in work. So I have begun walking around a small area of my apartment in order to just keep the blood flowing during the day around the hours of 11am-3pm. I have layered 2-3 carpets over one another to soften my footsteps but I'm still kind of worried that my downstairs neighbours can hear my footsteps. In this case I'm curious would a noise complaint hold up if they were to ever file one as its during "normal" hours and that I am also just walking around house.

If this is an obvious question my bad, I've only just recently moved out and am looking for any info I can get

Thanks!

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

OMG, no you must not move, think of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

You're probably over thinking it.. I don't think people care that much about noises like that during the day. There are lawnmowers going, car horns beeping, children playing, TVs on.. lots of noises during the day. But on the off chance they do care and complain, I wouldn't be worried about getting kicked out over it (or what is it you're worried about?). They probably won't, but see if they complain and only then worry about what to do next.

By the way it's not too difficult to fix creaky floorboards. A basic carpenter could probably do it in a few hours or with a few basic tools you could do it yourself. There are some YouTube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Technik1

I'm more so just curious that if they ever did complain to the landlord would they actually have a valid complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

I don't see how anyone could take a complaint about walking sounds during working hours seriously tbh.

I work from home too but make sure I go out for a 30 minute walk during my lunch break. You'll feel better getting out for a walk than walking around in circles in your apartment even if you get a bit wet or cold outside. It's possible to do, you just have to force yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Put talcum powder between the floor board to dampen the noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭JayRoc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You are way over thinks it but you also should make time to get out more and to get to know your neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You are overthinking it. Nobody will complain about it.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Unless you're walking towards your drum-kit, I'd say you'll be grand....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,892 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you've time to walk around your apartment enough to keep the blood flowing then you've time to get out of your apartment for a few minutes and go for a walk.

You should make a point of doing it and getting out of your work space, it'll help clear your head a bit too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement