Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No one will save you

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems to be getting good reviews online, and certainly the trailer makes it look a tight, tense little thing. A relatively dead weekend for releases so not sure why they didn't just sling it into cinemas to see what happened.

Kaitlyn Dever reminds me so much like Jodie Foster; just something about her face reads similar. She was great in Booksmart.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched yesterday evening, it was errr different!

Basically no dialogue the entire way through the film for the lead bar one line I think?!

It has some really interesting ideas (but it's basically invasion of the body snatchers with some extras) a few memorable scenes and Dever excellent as usual. The alien(s) design was also fun. But the whole thing doesn't quite hand together and the ending was a bit meh. Shame it didn't get get a cinema release would have liked to seen it on the big screen. Overall 6.5/10 worth a watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s ‘grand’, and best when it’s traditional aliens taking over the traditional home invader role. There’s something particularly creepy about the idea of an alien abduction, and sometimes this captures that. And Dever is excellent.

But it falls victim to two common horror problems. One is that it over-indulges in the CG, so feels more weightless and clunky when it starts introducing a couple of extra super-charged threats for Dever to deal with. And second it really overplays its ‘main character overcoming trauma’ metaphor or subplot. Nothing new about a horror film doing that, but here it gets in the way more often than not and I don’t think it really makes the landing.

Not without its charms, then, but one that frustrates as often as it entertains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was OK. The lack of dialogue felt extremely gimmicky and forced given there were several scenes that it was completely illogical that someone wouldn't have said something.

I don't buy into the rave reviews. It'd good in a 6/10 worth a watch sense but nothing more.

One of my favorite Alien invasion movies in recent years is definitely The Vast of Night, an incomparably better film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I thought it was really great and original. Loved the ending too. A solid 7/10 from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Stephen King had this to say about it on X:

NO ONE WILL SAVE YOU: Brilliant, daring, involving, scary. You have to go back over 60 years, to a TWILIGHT ZONE episode called "The Invaders," to find anything remotely like it. Truly unique.

Having read this tweet and scanned a couple of other glowing reviews, I have to say I'm amazed that this film was placed on a pedestal the way it has been. I wonder if it's more to do with the lack of dialogue, which I suppose is 'daring'...but that doesn't make it any good. The first half hour was actually decent and built up the tension nicely only for it to move away from that before ending up in a bog-standard monster chase which left me feeling totally flat. The cheap effects really killed it for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I enjoyed this but certainly not beyond the realms of something superficial - don't think I'd be kicking down doors to recommend it. That said I'm a bit confused it got dumped on Disney+ / Hulu in the first place: it was perfectly cinematic in its production, well-paced and had a decent amount of thrills that would have worked really well in a dark theatre; it could have done quite nicely in the cinemas - and now being an otherwise barren schedule anyway, the choice to bury is all the more bizarre. Can't imagine its budget was that high it couldn't have turned a profit easily enough.

The CGI ruined it, and think the ambition exceeded the execution in a lot of set pieces; like Jaws less would have been more when it came to the aliens, though some scenes when they were in shadow and obscured were really spooky and effective. The sound design should get a nod 'cos the aliens' various hoots and unsettling noises really worked - especially when one was chasing the lead. The huffing was genuinely creepy and just shows that good sound design is itself an unheralded art.

Not sure about the slightly tacked-on trauma angle, but Kaitlyn Dever absolutely shouldered the movie and then some. She really acquitted herself so well in this, making a compelling broadly silent, physical performance. Nothing over the top either: there was no ridiculous transformation from mousy outcast to áss kicking hero - she acted and reacted competently but not stupidly either; behaving in a manner now dissimilar to how you or I would on a good day.

No sign of that director having a new gig? That was a really effective, shockingly cinematic and competent production for what must have been zero dollars.

Advertisement