Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strangest workplace occurrences

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I know of an occurrence that I can't really go into, many years ago my first husband was involved in sorting out a building that was a sort of storage out office of a state company the place was being knocked down it would have been used by less than a handful of people, anyway, he was amazed to discover one of the employees has basically been living there for years they even had hens and a little garden. The handful who used it knew it was going on but said nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No big deal nowadays that instant superglue dissolver is available. Agree on the self-publicity angle.

Scrap the cap!

Why though? I doubt there were stashes of drink in the office so usually the drinkers go where the drink is.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah, but, what a rookie mistake not wiping the seat in a public toilet. Thats just asking for piss leg.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I worked in a factory and there was this supervisor guy who was 25yrs in the job and was one of these types that didnt think he could be done without. He missed the memo that nobody is irreplaceable and that you are only a number.

Anyway, they offered him early retirement at 63, and they would have paid him the 2 years salary he would have earned had he stayed until 65. His family, friends and co workers told him to take the offer and run but he refused! His reason was "they wont get rid of me that easily, i run this whole department". He wouldnt listen to anybody...

So he ended up working until 65 when he could have had the same money and retired at 63. He died 6 months later and the factory is doing really well without him.

Imagine getting to your 60s and not learning how dispensable you are in a job. Tragic.

Hmm I wonder why they were that keen to get rid of him!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

They can't do without him was a story he was telling himself to cover for the fact that he didn't want to give up work, sounds so much better to say work can't do without them rather than admit they have nothing going on in their life nothing except work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Worked in a small place circa 20 years ago.

The accounts lady was quiet as a mouse kind. I got married and she threw an extra weeks wage money into my bank account the week I came back from honeymoon. I asked her was it a mistake.

'Ah no ' says she. ' We could all could do with a bit extra after the expense. Just keep it quiet!'

Super Stuff.

About 2 years later a story broke in the Sunday World about a woman being outed as running a brothel.

It was the accounts lady!!!

We were all shellshocked!!!!

It is always the quiet one to be wary of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

A nice line I was told. Off up to Bohermore cemetery for a walk with ya. No shortage of lads who said the company wouldn't survive without them.

So you were living off immoral earnings - kinda 😁

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Advertisement