Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Upgrade recommendations.

Options
  • 22-09-2023 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi all, I've always been working off old model iPhones that my brother would send for the US. Models 5 and 6 mainly. I cracked my screen yesterday on my iPhone 6s and have been considering upgrading the model. I don't know anything about iPhones apart from using the apps, internet, calls, video calls and texts.

What model would you recommend? I'm not looking for the new 15 model or anything, but I'm looking to get out of the dark ages all the same.

Also, should I go new or refurbished? If refurbished where? I'm not into bills, as I'm more of a pay-as-you-go type person.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

JS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

What’s your budget?

Anything recent is going to be a massive upgrade for you coming from a 6S.

I’d probably recommend a 11 or 12, modern design and likely to get updates for another few years yet.

If going refurbished Apple would be your best bet. Phones come with a warranty and are basically brand new with new housing and batteries. Bit more pricey than other places but worth it imo. They have a refurb 12 Mini for €479.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Thanks for this,

I don't really have a budget, to be honest. My thinking was, perhaps I just bite the bullet and get a 13. I intend to hold onto it as long as possible though, That's my thinking behand it. I'm still going around with the smashed screen and I just don;t see the point in getting it repaired, with it being so old and what not. I it's no longer updating it's ISO for some time, it appears to be on IOS 12.5 and not updating beyond that. Maybe I'm just daft not keeping it until it totally gives up altogher?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Depending on your financial situation I would go with the newest phone you can afford. As you already see older phones don't get latest software and security updates.

Not sure if you want to get one on a contract or but up front but I do see the new iPhone 15 is available on Eir for €399 with a 24 month contract for €29.99 a month which I think is a good deal as the end the 2 years you can switch to SIM only or sell your phone which will still have a good value.

So my advice is to be the latest iPhone you can afford. I personally would not go near 11 or 12 as they'll be dated in a few years.

Thanks for that, I was looking at it. I see that it's only 20GB of data p/month. I'd be looking for unlimited data and that's 60 p/month.

I'm looking at the below at 128gb at 979.00. That to me would be good. Then I could buy the online storage?

EDIT: I could take the hit on the initial spend as I have savings, but I don't think I could stick to more than 30 euro p/month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

If budget is such a concern, don't buy the iPhone 15. Buy the iPhone 13 which is an incredibly similar phone under the hood. Saves you the guts of €200 and you can pay €10 to get it unlocked online if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ok, if you're buying up front then that frees you up to go sim only.

For example Eir, offer €9.99 for 12 months SiM only with unlimited data. I'm sure there's other deals with other providers too.

Perhaps I'll get a sim-only deal. Do you think the iPhone 14 above is worth it? How much memory would you suggest?

I was considering the 14. how much memory would you suggest?

• If you are big into photos, I find my 14 Pro to have a great camera for taking vivid pictures:

I didn't actually consider the camera at all! That looks like fantastic quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Sorry to hijack this old thread but it kinds of asks similar questions to what I need answered 🙂

I will apologise in advance for a long post.

Please bear with me as like OP I’m no genius when it comes to phones pros and cons.

Currently have an iPhone 8 on bill pay with Vodafone red deal for 40 euro a month but not unlimited data (old plan)….tbh never really exceeded data on it but phone is starting to have issues (aged) so like OP I’m going to upgrade to an iPhone 13 or 14.

Could go Sim only and break away from Vodafone or go for another 24 month bill pay for something like an IPhone 14 at 60 euro a month with Vodafone but with unlimited data and at high speed which I would like for watching sports and Netflix etc

The excellent data is what I’m looking for,and a good camera and a user friendly model as one poster above described one of newer iPhones.

As a matter of interest what difference has an iPhone ‘plus’ over plain one as regards the 13 and 14 phones?…..which are more reliable.

Would really appreciate any feedback from people who are tech savvy and have or had any iPhone 13 or + or iPhone 14 or+

And whether it’s better to buy them outright originally off likes of eir as a poster mentioned above,so as not to get locked into a two year contract.

Personally I would prob take the hit and buy phone at reduced price via Vodafone on a contract with good unlimited data.

Anyways thanks for reading and love to hear yere thoughts 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

ive an XS, and going to upgrade to a new 13.

Ive looked at pros and cons of them all, price range of the 13 against the 12 & 14, no interest in the 15. Ive made my choice on a 13, based on value , battery life etc. I dont watch lengthy stuff on my phone, so i may be a diffeent user to you. you can buy a 258gb on apple new here for around 860e appx. the chips in the phones are stupid fast these days, so an A15 to A16 bionic, will you really notice ?

have a look at the comparissons, 15 Vs 14 Vs 13 - wins it for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Effectively the difference between the 13 and Plus or 14 and Plus is the screen size. There may be slight differences in the camera also. Use the comparison tool on Apple's website to see the differences and whether they matter to you. In the end it will come back to screen size and the consequential overall size of the phone.

Advertisement