Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hurt Locker: Ireland v South Africa. Saturday 23rd September. Stade DeFrance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

If they know how to do it, why don't the ever do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I would be loathe to criticise a game manager of the calibre of Sexton but I think when the dust settles what will be worrying SA more is that if Sexton had elected to take the points on offer and if we had scored that knock-on SA may have been looking at a bit of a rout.

Had we racked up more points earlier we would have had the confidence to play with a bit more creativity and freedom. The dodgy line-out snuffed all of that out and the line-out IMO failed from our own incompetence/confusion rather than anything SA were doing.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Nienaber said the same about us, as did Rassie I think. They know how to beat Ireland, and what Ireland will bring. Yes we might offer pockets of innovation but they know the players and the formations and general philosophy of Ireland and what you can do to counter us.

The problem isn't know - it's doing. It's very hard to stop Ireland imposing their game plan, that's why were such contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Defined by key failures

Its a good way of summing it up.

77' mins 5m scrum to Ireland. Even if Ireland didn't win that penalty for 13-8 Ireland could have scored off that scrum 15/17 v 8) or at the very least saw the game out in the SA 22.

Ifs and buts.....but I dont believe that IF SA scored their kicks they would have won the game. Its too simplistic and I think Ireland would have found a way to win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If Faf has scored the pen that hit the post, they wouldn't have scored their try as it came from the next phase of play. That would have been 1 kick scored for 3 points rather than two kicks missed for 5. It actually worked out better for them that Faf hit the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

have to say I saw this and was worried .. BUT ball down/grounded before elbow .. phew :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just on this, it annoys me when people get caught up with counting things like missed kicks etc. if one of those kicks goes over it’s a different restart and everything after that moment is different. You can argue a last minute kick to win would have changed the result easily but things early on in the game going different alter the rest of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭terrarev

Knowing how to beat Ireland and being good enough to do it are different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Yeah, wouldn't disagree hugely on the penalties bit. Two of them were tough kicks as well.

Very little between the teams and thankfully we came in the right side of it. Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We absolutely were not saying 2019 would be different. At most we may have said 2011 and 2015 would be different, but from recollection we were very nervous about 2015 because of all the injuries. And in 2011 we didn’t exactly have a QF hoodoo over us then as we hadn’t even made the QF in 2007 and weren’t contenders before then at all.

Heres some actual facts that might shine a different light on things. In the two RWCs where we had a big pool stage win (2011 vs Australia and 2015 vs France), how do we compare to where we are now:

Now:

• Grand Slam Champions
    • Ranked number 1 in the world
    • Have beaten everyone worth mentioning at least once in the last 18 months and gone unbeaten for 13 games coming into the tournament.
    • Have won a big pool game
    • Have been comfortable in all other games we have played in the RWC.

2011:

• Had a poor 6Ns where 1 good performance against England was all we had to cheer about.
    • Were ranked 8th in the world.
    • Barely scraped past Italy and Scotland in the 6Ns, had lost to Australia, SA, NZ, France and Wales in the previous 18 months and had never beaten NZ. We went into the tournament winning just 4 of the 15 games we’d played in the previous 18 months.
    • Had won a big pool game against Australia.
    • Struggled more than we should have against Italy and, especially, the USA in the pools.

2015:

• Were 6Ns champions.
    • Were ranked 6th in the world.
    • Had beaten SA, Australia, France and England in the previous 18 months, but had also lost to Wales and still had yet to ever beat NZ. We came into the RWC off the back of 2 defeats in the warm ups and with a win rate of 11 of 14 in the previous 18 months.
    • Had won a big pool game against France.
    • Struggled more than we should have against Italy but otherwise performed well enough in the pools.

There’s no point in talking about 2011. We’re light years ahead of where we were then. We were in a good place in 2015 until we shipped a lot of injuries and lost SOB to suspension in that France game. We won the big pool match but it cost us badly.

We are in an even better place now than 2015, without doubt. And we don’t seem to have paid a price for that big pool win at all. We appear to have 33 fit and available players going into the last round of the pool stages.

If you can’t see how this year is different from the above, well then I don’t think anyone can help you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I hope that account and that Twitter post are paid takes….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Fair play to RG Snyman. Magnanimous In defeat.

Ireland were immense in defence

https://x.com/rterugby/status/1706264613111619811?s=46&t=LZNAt8uQdNSsqynXTsT0dw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

"I must say, in the 30 Tests I’ve had, that’s definitely up there. It was definitely a physical battle and they really stuck in there.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭riddles

Agree against top sides an early penalty an attempt at points should be taken - worst case scenario you like get possession on the restart. Should be agreed before the game to be honest.

Post edited by riddles on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

"They are a team we play every year (in the Six Nations) so we know how to beat them

eh.....

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

One thing that does concern me, should we meet again, is the scrum. I don't think we won a scrum penalty all day from our own effort, if we got a penalty it was because of a SA technical mistake (too early, over extending etc)? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I was at the game and it's hard to figure out what exactly pens are for live.

The line out was a shambles, but I think largely just an off day for us there, particularly for Kelleher. I don't really understand why we didn't just call some throws to POM at the front after the 2nd or 3rd mess up, just to try get Kelleher some confidence back.

Other than that though, fantastic performance, I think outside of Kelleher you can't really pick anyone who was below their usual standard.

The call at the end was a bit lucky IMO, ball was there to be played.

Regarding Scotland, we'll batter them, I'd pick fairly strong with a view of getting a lead and then using the bench as early as possible, just to keep the momentum going. Though we should be approaching the next block with the view that we'll be playing 4 games in 4 weeks, so perhaps some rotation will happen.

Whisper it quietly, but after that result if we play to our potential then we're getting to the final. There are no teams that we can meet between now and then that can beat us at our best, and I include New Zealand in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Was the ball not there illegally via somebody off their feet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I thought our scrum was fine when their LH wasn't able to bore in. Never played in the forwards, so pinch of salt etc, but I've come to the view that generally, the only reason you see a scrum dominating is because they've gotten away with skullduggery. The one where we got shattered, their LH clearly stepped out and drove across. It's on our lads to stop that. There were a good few rock solid ones in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It's a strange quirk in the laws that a player can be standing out of bounds and still score a try. Actually saw it happen in a 7s game last year. Judging by the reaction, a lot of players don't know that law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I love the way they've been playing the long game for the last 4 years so. Impressive to have the knowledge and the discipline not to use it for so many years as a means of gearing up for this world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Some brilliant photos in todays papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Yeah thats being completely ignored. SA #23 was on his knees trying to free the ball

The ball was not available to play immediately so BO'K was correct. Maul went to ground at 80.07/80.08 on clock. Ball came out 4/5 seconds later. No idea why that's such a difficult decision for people to grasp. Thought BO'K gave the boks generous enough time to get it out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Wish Baird wouldn’t wear such a similar scrum cap to Doris!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It must be said de allende is absolutely class, he almost single handedly wrecked our backline by just running in a straight line, he's like the terminator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

This tackle and turnover from Aki was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McCaw-esque in the sense he was lucky to not get pinged for no release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Superb athleticism but definitely more than a whiff of no release on that angle.

Advertisement