Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else remember this TV ad....

• 23-09-2023 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

A song came on the radio today , by Danny and the juniors," let's go to the hop." Straight away I remembered an ad on the TV from the 90s that went "let's go to the hop..that's Belfast . ." Obviously shown on UTV, I'm guessing it was for a particular shopping centre in Belfast. No one else here in the family home remembers the ad, and I'm the youngest so I'm even questioning it myself if i imagined it!!! I'm 98% sure it existed. Anyone else remember the ad or what it was for?? Google wasn't any help this time!

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Relikk

I definitely remember the ad and would also say that the first thing that comes to mind was a shopping centre/complex, so you're not imagining it, but like yourself I can't remember exactly what it was for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I wonder was it an ad for the Park Centre in Belfast? I say because they used to use a rabbit in some of their ads and “do the hop” would make sense there.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shashaela

Aw great to have it confirmed that someone else remembers it and I didn't make it up! It makes me realise how.much I miss having UTV and all the ads there that we'd not get on any other channel.

Oh yes that makes perfect sense and I think I can remember the ad with the bunny alright. Gonna Google now and see what comes up with park centre. Thanks for that lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

It was an ad for Belfast City Centre, no particular shopping centre or shops! The tagline was Belfast is Buzzin'

• Advertisement

Funny enough I can remember that tagline. But I seem to associate it with an ad for the nightlife in Belfast. Maybe the last clip on the ads was the nightlife and it just stuck in my head! I'm on a mission to find the "...hop...that's Belfast" ad to prove to family members I didn't make it up!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

A different ad from the campaign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I think the song in the ad said "let's go to the shop" as a play on "let's go do the hop".

I definitely remember it was a Northern Irish ad.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

Advertisement