Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online dating declining

• 24-09-2023 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭

One of my podcasts had a bit about this, so I came across this and thought it was interesting. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59852733-the-case-against-the-sexual-revolution genuinely society seems to be reverting back to getting into long-term relationships when young and staying in relationships, getting married, and crucially not feeling they are missing out?

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Perhaps the younger ones now have copped on and try to avoid the normal pattern that some women fall into - i.e. taking full advantage of the options available to them during their younger years, only to find that those options drop off, and their past choices can work against them in later years.

Obviously it doesn't happen in all cases, but it does happen.

(I mean you can still "settle" in your 20's and be given the boot in your 30's or 40's so nothing is foolproof)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

On the other hand I know loads both men and women who had a 'interesting' times in there early twenties then got with someone and stayed with them and are very happy married no harm came to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I think the novelty of online dating is wearing thin.

We're into the next generation now. Tinder exploded in 2014, nearly a decade ago. Bumble a few years later. It's no surprise they've fallen out of favour.

It's just as much an issue for men look what happened to Bernard Looney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

I think the stats speak for themselves (5-10% success) and people don’t buy into it as much. Also I guess the newest generation are less likely to subscribe or spend a penny on maybe possibilities.

https://www.shinyshiny.tv/2023/02/are-dating-apps-on-their-way-out-new-study-reveals-success-rates-are-dropping.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

No of course not, the decline in online dateing is only one aspect of dating culture, my point is it's just as much about men as women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Do men not do that?!! I know I had a great time with tinder etc for a few years before settling down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tinder used to be fun but it’s now a minefield of people and scam artists looking for…. advice, help, problem solving assistants, chauffeurs, potential passport providers, English teachers ( lots of South Americans at this ) and then the cohort of people who are just looking for the ego boost of getting matched with a fellow human but have zero intention of doing anything about it. ie. don’t send or respond to messages which is a bit weird…. You’ve gone to the trouble of setting up the account, choosing and uploading photos and putting a bit of a bio together, getting yourself matched by swiping through xxxx number of profiles , ….. it’s odd 😬

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've always hated online dating. It's 90 per cent men so there's little reason for women to invest any real effort. Women are often bombarded with images of men's genitalia and crude messages.

I never found a decent site. They never inspired more than a sense of cynicism, reducing human beings to sets of photos.

That said, I've friends who met long term partners in it so it does work sometimes. I won't be missing it though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It will differ for the individual, but it is generally the case that "options" don't decrease the same for men as as they get that bit older and out of their 20's. They also don't tend to modify their preferences to the same extent - i.e. what they place value on. (obviously individuals can differ)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Gonna close this as we already have an online dating thread here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058276399/online-dating#latest .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement