Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

What opposition were the Irish rugby fans singing Zombie trying to goad? South Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it was mostly innocent civilians were killed during shoot to kill, the policy wasn't about anti-terrorism but about killing as much civilians as possible.

such a policy would have existed regardless of the PIRA as it would have continued to be aimed at the civil rights movement had they remained active, it was aimed at them on bloody sunday of course.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You like to stretch things out to keep the thread going, fair play to you.

I accept that their was a national army and a State Army, where people turned up for the wage.

You don't have to support the army of any country, never said any one had to. It is just fashionable in some groups to be anti army, it's a trend, not judging you for being fashionable.

This thread is your hobby horse, enjoy it. I disagree with your views, find them frankly bizarre and reminiscent of Trot bollix from the likes of Clare Daly.

The Provos were not our country's forces. They were a murder gang. Clare Daly is a cheerleader for Russia and I think you'd fit in there very well.

Delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

According to the earlier posters I believe so.

So any singing in a sports stadium now counts as goading the opposition? 😄

I don't know, it's like this song has a meaning for you and you think it must then have the same meaning for everyone else?

A lot of people were just singing it for the craic.

Is that ok with you then? To be singing this really important message that the world needs to be reminded about, for the craic?

What about use of the n-word?

Is that always right or wrong, or can people judge based on the context?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The difference with chanting up the UVF is you're supporting a militia who backs the Invader. It's like saying supporting the Azov battalion was the same as supporting the Donetsk peoples Republic.

By grouping the UVF and IRA together you are putting the blame equally on the Irish here who lets not forget were invaded and nearly wiped out thanks to plantations.

They certainly were, they weren't Mexico's ffs.

I'd be backing the Ukrainians in that one comrade. Your arguments are similar to the points that people like Clare Daly, other Trots and the Russian media use, that's down to your world view more than any special animus towards Ukraine.

The Ukrainians in the occupied areas have their own national army, independent of the Ukrainian State, their own IRA and they have been researching and copying Irish army operations from the North of Ireland like the bombing of an enemy base by adapting a car to drive on the train tracks, learn from the best.

Fair play to them.

Your views tend to often be contradictory and convoluted, do you or do you not support those fighting the Russian occupation, just to clarify that.

• Advertisement

The UVF and the Provos were both murder gangs. They slaughtered civilians. They Provos just did more of it. Northern Ireland was internationally recognised as part of the UK.

You're deliberately confusing the Provos with the Catholic population of Northern Ireland. They are not remotely the same thing.

No they said they were singing the song to goad the opposition.

Using the 'in your head' line to make a point about being in the oppositions heads.

Weren't you doing similar yesterday, tagging it to the end of your posts?

A minute ago you were saying Irish rugby fans were singing it to goad South Africans and now you're saying they were singing it for the craic. You're all over the place.

The fact is the song has inherent meaning. But I don't particularly care why people sing it, whether they sing it because of that inherent meaning or whether they're just singing it because it's a banger of a tune.

You see, it's not me that has the problem with the singing of the song.

It's those throwing a hissy fit over people singing it that have the problem. And none of them have yet come up with a coherent explanation for their hissy fit.

You're trying to bring the n word into this discussion? Have you got any more absurd irrelevancies to the topic you want to bring in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This is it, for me. It’s a great song and the crowd really belt it out. It was never about “getting in the opposition’s head” but it really has seem to have gotten into a few, very thick, skulls.

It went from Limerick hurling to Munster rugby to Irish rugby. We sung it in Bordeaux after the Romania match, in Nantes after Tonga, Paris after South Africa, and I, myself, look forward to singing it in Paris, again, after the Scotland match.

If anything, I hope that all this SF IRA “backlash” shows the younger generation a little of what’s really behind the curtain and that cuddly uncle Gerry spitting memes on Twitter or the casual sectarianism spouted by the likes of Blind Boy Boat Club and Darren Conway is all papering over some, seriously, bloody cracks.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

They weren't any country's forces, no more than Los Zetas are Mexico's forces or ISIS are any country's forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s played over the PA at the end of the match. ‘Freed From Desire’ was played in the Aviva after the Six Nations win. Really hope they’ll be banging out ‘Zombie’ when it kicks off next season.

It has nothing to do with the opposition.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

I voted for SF in the last election, I'm a huge Cranberries fan, most people dont care about this supposed victory over the shinners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

they were not operating on behalf of Ireland or Irish people (as shown by their polling during their murder spree ) , they were a fringe lunatic and shot through with touts peados and various associated bullys and gangsters

I suspect you understand the offence that claiming the ira were somehow a legit. but think ye can rewrite history in the best sf tradition.

ira were murdering scum 20 years ago now they are just anther organized crime gang

the rest of your post is nonsense

I feel like I'm talking to a person from the USSR who can't understand the changes that happened or doubts the legitimacy of what happened.

It is just interesting to see your world view z there was an old man in a town near me, flew the Union Jack outside his big old farmhouse till his passing on in the 90s.

I sometimes wished I met him, would be just fascinating to meet a person who was still looking at the world from when he was a child in the early years of the last century.

He didn't accept the Guards or the State Army, never mind the National Army.

It is more just to understand the mindset of people like that, of you. It must be driven by more than political views etc.

It is the psychological need that interests me. How was your home life when you were young, was there a permanent sense of chaos or threat?

Very few people have claimed that Zombie was sung by Irish rugby fans as an insult to Shinners. It's mainly Shinners who have claimed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think Northern Nationalists have every right to be aggrieved to be honest as they didn't get the same respect when their children were murdered by loyalist paramilitaries in collusion with the British State. I can see how the mother of 17 year old Damian Walsh who was shot by Johnny Adair the day after the Warrington Bombings. She commented that there was no outcry or flowers coming up from the South when he was killed.

My understanding of Zoombie is that it is an anti-war song. It is very apparent if you watch the official video from them as to what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

France, Italy and Argentina are in the commonwealth?

That may come as a shock to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭trashcan

Glad to see someone with some musical taste enter the discussion. Mind you, I suspect that a lot of people saying how great a song it is are doing so to show their anti Shinner credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

I find it unusual that certain elements cannot see that a 32 county Ireland will be a new country where at the very minimum a new anthem and a new Flag should be considered.

My vote goes to:

and

Why are you singling out Damian Walsh?

Do the families of the other 1,798 victims of the Provos not have every right to be aggrieved that they didn't receive the same attention as the murders of Jonathan Ball and Tim Parry? Do we know who Danielle Carter was?

Do the families of Protestant civilians murdered by the Provos not have every right to be aggrieved that their loved ones' murders didn't receive the same attention from the South as the victims of Bloody Sunday did?

Do the families of Catholic civilians murdered by Loyalists not have every right to feel aggrieved that their loved ones didn't receive the same attention as the case of Karen Reilly?

Unfortunately the fact is that in the 28 year long orgy of murder that was the Troubles, or in any long outbreak of violence, terror or war, certain crimes are going to get more attention than others. That's just the nature of the world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've already said different people were singing it for different reasons.

So now your saying it's only the 'inherent' message of the song that matters?

So your ok then with 'Delilah' being banned?

And people of colour can't use the n-word?

I genuinely don't get your thought process. I'm referring to this other examples to see how the application of your logic might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

your a fantasist pal .

everything you've posted here is made up

its like the shinnerbots are trying to get another thread shut down

The 30k people who were singing Zombie at the Stade de France were singing it because it came on the PA, they all know the words, and because it's a banger. No other reason.

The song has an inherent meaning. It was written for a reason. That reason was Warrington. I don't know what's so hard to grasp about that.

It's that inherent meaning that has Shinners in a palaver. They've whipped up a Streisand effect with all this hissy fitting and feigning offence.

Your last two sentences are not relevant to the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The song started playing about 60 seconds after Ireland had beaten the world champions South Africa. Literally the only thing on the fans' minds was that Ireland had just beaten South Africa.

Advertisement