Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Seems Northern Nationalists and Republicans weren't upset about 'Zombie' a couple of years ago. Here it is being belted out at Feile an Phobail back in 2021.

https://x.com/FeileBelfast/status/1424515652203728898?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭mikethecop

daily call of bollox

it was started by shinner twitter posters trying to score political points by playing the victim , spectacularly backing

trying to manipulate peoples choice of music ,of sport activity ? its nearly Orwellian levels of control.

Irish people dont like being told what to do by bullies , sf with the treat of the gun have been getting away with doing that in some parts of Ireland in the past

id like to say that day is over forever but as gerry says " they haven't gone away you know "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You're projecting. No anger from me. I think its laughable; firstly the Shinners and RA heads criticising the singing of the songs and now their fans (like you) playing the victim and defending the criticism. Y'all are a joke.

No one sang the song to make SF look bad. How can you not understand this? SF made SF look bad.

You still refuse to explain why SF don't like the song and you can't explain why sining Zombie makes SF supporters uncomfortable. Why would you be uncomfortable at match where Irish fans sang Zombie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Orwellian levels of control?

It's only a few supporters online.

Not like the party leader came out trying to blow it up as per micheal martin!

Have you seen the polls lately?

If you were a genuine supporter of rugby I think you'd be concerned about potential fans and parents of future players being put off the game, feeling they have to 'change the channel or not go to the match'.

We were going to keep our kids away from the game anyway because of the player welfare issues, but even were that now fixed I wouldn't be in any hurry to be driving my kids to rugby training if I don't feel welcome there.

How are sf polling in the age groups of parents with young kids?

If only a fraction of them feel the same as me about this sport being used as a platform to have a go at them, that's not good for the game.

• Advertisement

People didn't sing the song for political reasons, I've never once suggested they did, but the outrage mongering since has clearly been political.

I couldn't speak for why 'sf don't like the song' because I'm not aware of that at all. I'll bet plenty, like myself, quite like it.

My problem is when a few sf supporters criticize a song, which has been criticized apolitically in the past, and this is then turned into a national campaign accusing them, quite without justification, of supporting violence.

That this sport is being used as a platform for that makes me feel unwelcome as part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Personally I see that as a result. Anyone who excuses violence and votes for it should feel unwelcome in society not just at sports events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

To be fair you'd have to exclude large swathes of the West there then wouldn't you? The developed world has a knack for sanitising the violence it perpetrates, so long as it's State-sanctioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Rugby will survive the loss of a few Shinners.

Anyway Shinners are more into baseball from their history of using baseball bats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

A French DJ put this on the moment the game finished and we all sang our hearts out in celebration, this thread is a bit embarrassing.

Let's hope Stade de France play it after a game 4 more times!

• Advertisement

Maybe you're just buying into micheal martins Trump style attempts to portray sf supporters as those who 'support child murder'?

As far as I can see most of todays supporters vote for them because of their left-wing policies on housing and health and accept the party is committed to the peace process.

While it mightn't be a big deal for some internet randomer to spout this nonsense, i think it's a problem if one of our major sports is used as a platform for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Nearly crashed the car this morning I was laughing so hard at Gift Grub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

It was your buddies spouting nonsense that kicked this off. As you can see from the recent posts above. Most people are quite happy that SF and fans are squirming

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

A few people on Twitter? How does that lead to all the media coverage and the Tanaiste out giving interviews on it?

People complain about all sorts on Twitter all the time!

TheTanaiste answered a question about the Shinner created controversy when asked by a journalist. He wasn’t out giving interviews about it. However we all know that truth is optional in the world of a Shinner.

Left wing policies?

Was it the former Notre Dame girl or Blackrock College boy that convinced you they were left wing? Maybe it was David “up the ra” or Dessie the bomber. It might have been the finance received from the proceeds of crime. It could have been the wiping of all pro Russian propaganda from their website after the invasion of Ukraine.

One thing is clear, it wasn’t the murder of innocent children.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Your anger is misdirected.

It wasn't the singing of the song that made Sinn Fein look bad, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the singing of the song, particularly given its theme of rejecting violence against children.

What made Sinn Fein look bad was the reaction of Sinn Fein supporters on social media, including posters like yourself. Nobody to blame for Sinn Fein looking bad than their own supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

During the course of a radio interview on other matters, The Tanaiste was asked by the interviewer what he thought of the song Zombie. Of course he commented on it, and his comments made good sense. I do not usually vote FF but I may next time.

The shinner bots have really made fools of themselves this time. As someone else said, let's hope Stade de France play it after a game 4 more times! Hopefully it will be sung during matches too, give the lads a boost.

• Advertisement

Northern Irish is an identity. It is real, open your eyes.

Sure, and his answer then, it looked well prepared to me.

Essentially saying anyone who criticizes this song supports terrorism...

Where did that come from?

Plenty others have criticized the song over the years!

Again I'll make the point you all keep ignoring...

People have criticized Band Aid over the years, that doesn't for a second equate to them supporting famine.

Trying to drag divisive Trump style politics into our sports is all this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It isn't really. A badge of convenience maybe, but hardly an identity.

Like being an Ossi (person from East Berlin), it will evaporate with the passage of time and with the end of this grubby little arrangement.

Just to put micheal martins comments on this into perspective, here's a little insight into his relationship with the anti-war movement....

Interesting to see his reaction on this in relation to his claims that criticizing 'Zombie' equates to supporting terrorism...

"The most undemocratic thing you can do is trying to shut down debate. And that's what you are trying to do"

"no one should fear a thoughtful analysis or two ideas are hearing different perspectives and different viewpoints.”

“I’m a democrat, I believe in free speech, I believe in peaceful protest as well, but I also believe that we people should allow others to speak"

Of course it was later pointed out that no-one representing the pro-neutrality voice was invited to Mr Martin's conference on the future of neutrality.

https://www.thejournal.ie/consultative-forum-galway-day-two-protests-triple-lock-6100833-Jun2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

SF supporters started the politicising of the singing of Zombie at the rugby by objecting to it online. Do you agree? People responded to that. And in a lot of cases, people (including me) are asking why are SF supporters objecting to a song that is essentially against war, terrorism and child murder. And no SF supporter (including yourself) can give a straight answer.

As for you feeling unwelcome by the singing of Zombie. Not much anyone can do about that. They're your feelings.

Your just trolling. I don’t think anyone who lived through the troubles, which I have, considers it a badge of convenience.

Northern Irish people have been excluded both in the republic and in Britain. This applies to both Catholic and Protestants.

The SF man gets called a Brit when he is in dublin. The DUP fella gets called a Paddy in London.

Your talking **** about a life you know nothing of.

I can only not give you an answer because I can't speak for 'SF supporters', only myself. There is no answer from 'SF supporters' because we're a diverse group, as I'm sure are supporters of all the larger parties.

I like the song, I think it works well as a reaction to a terrible atrocity. But I can see why people might criticize it for oversimplifying the history of the North. I don't really believe the band were 'cashing in' on the troubles when they wrote it, but if somebody wants to make that point, they're entitled to do so.

If people believe it reflects badly on SF for some of their supporters to criticize it, again fair enough, they're equally entitled to their opinions. I'd only suggest they go and look at examples of similar songs causing controversy. (of which there's loads)

My problem is with our Tanaiste, and some newspapers, for how they've politicized this. It was entirely irresponsible and self-serving for these people to take the line that only people supporting terrorism could object to this song.

These people are fully aware that nothing in the sf supporters comments backed this up. I very much doubt they haven't been aware of similar controversies, which bore no relation to the Troubles, existing around songs and works of art for years.

It was a blatant attempt to drag an Irish sport into these Trump 'bogeyman' style politics, where it's now ok to paint your opponents as 'antifa extremists', 'deep-statement operatives', 'the radical left' etc without any basis in fact whatsoever.

Criticising those who defend the murder of innocent children is Trump style politics in Shinnerland.

I don't think telling people that killing children is wrong no matter the circumstances is oversimplifying anything.

That she roots in the context that some psychos were claiming to do it in her name is apt.

• Advertisement

Let's be honest about this. Shinners (and I mean by that SF supporters, not voters) were smarting because of the flak that Celtic Symphony got and in their warped minds they thought that they could score points by having a go at Zombie on Twitter. It has spectacularly backfired because anybody with half a brain was able to see that the two contexts were completely different.

Advertisement