Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Robin Standard unhealthy looking

Options
  • 24-09-2023 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I have a row of five red robin standards. They are there about 4 years and 4 of them look great but one is not looking too good. Looks rusty and leaves are droopy. Anybody have any idea what is wrong with my sickly red robin?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Photinias - Red Robin - are exceptionally robust and easy to grow, as shown by the other four. Its hard to say what is wrong with the sickly one, has it been like that all along or is it only recently wilting?

At four years old they should not need stakes or ties on them, suggest you remove them.

My guess would be that it is something to do with the roots. It may be that it is on a patch of bad soil or a lump of concrete. You could try feeding it - just that one - but its not the best time of year to be doing that. I would chance pulling some of the surface soil away from the roots and having a look, have they spread out of the pot-shape they were in when planted? Do the roots look healthy, or are they black, or indeed is there any white mould or fungus on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 milbot

Thanks for your advice. I will dig and have a look. You mentioned it’s not a good time to feed them. Why is this? Sorry I am a complete novice!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not a huge issue, but its not a great idea feeding at this time of year, they are going into winter 'hibernation' and you don't want new growth starting now. Though the weather is so mad I have new growth appearing on all sorts of shrubs and trees that shouldn't have it.

Advertisement