Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for recommendations for a generator

Options
  • 24-09-2023 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We have had a number of powercuts recently and I have decided to purchase a generator. All I will need it for is to power a router, a desktop PC and to charge a laptop and two mobile phones. Can someone please recommend a suitable generator. I do not want it wired into the mains and will be using two extension leads.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Would you not use a UPS? (Uninterruptable Power supply)

It is basically a battery on charge all the time, with a power output. If the power in is interrupted, then the battery takes over and supplies the power. Now, obviously, the amount of power required, and the length of time it is required to keep supplying needs to be defined. It sounds like 1KW should be enough - but I would look for a laptop instead of a desktop.

It could be augmented with a generator so the setup continues without a break.

Of course, the power cut you are trying might also affect your internet service and may in fact be cut as well. It would be worth your while checking if your internet will continue in spite of a power cut affecting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd agree. Eaton have a good UPS sizer. I put in a consumption of 350w with a runtime of 2hrs and it spat out a few options:

Click "select" and the enter the details. That will give you a sizing in VA which you can use elsewhere to look for options.

Elara stock many of the bigger brands:

In terms of replacement battery packs... I make my own as they are standard SLAB batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

A UPS is typically used to hold sensitive equipment until either a back up power source syncs in or the mains returns. Or of course to allow you to shut things down gracefully.

They could work well for this use case depending on how long you expect to hold things for.

Regular generators on the other hand aren't really great for supplying nice smooth power to delicate electronics. You'd be looking at an inverter generator, and they can be expensive. Both types have maintenance needs.

What's your budget and how long are your power cuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

The delicate electronics usually stands up to the excursions of a mechanical generator quite well. Electronics is supplied via a power supply with some degree of storage for short term "blips". People do run out to buy surge protected sockets and the like, but unless it's for something basic like a LED bulb, the the power units have regulation and a resistor that shorts overvoltage transients protecting the electronics.

I use a Lidl 2kW generator I bought some years back. It supplies power about three or four times a year during outages. I supply the lighting and electronics like the TV and a few different desktops/ laptops and of course the router, fridge and freezer

There is a small change in light output from the room lighting as the load varies, but that's the only notable difference.

The negative effects are the fuel used and the noise which I control by running it inside the shed. The shed is unusable for an hour or so after power restoration to allow the fumes to clear. f course a UPS gives an almost invisible changeover to battery but this benefit would be negated if using one via extension sockets

The only other downside to my system is that I have to use the microwave for coffee, the kettle would need a few more Watts than can be supplied currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

What do you mean in the first paragraph.

I don't understand it

• Advertisement

Mains Voltage is dropped down from 240ac to a lower Voltage, usually around 24 to 5V in the majority of equipment.

The power supply has feedback, so the output Voltage is not related to any normal input Voltage change. In fact when my supply dropped to 80V recently, a lot of the electronics here still worked.

So basically as the power supply goes up and down like can happen with a shower or large current drain device, your electronics happily sits there working on its 5V DC just as if it had a battery supplying it.

A danger of spikes that can occur if motors or solenoid valves are switched is taken care of by a VDR or "transorb", it shorts temporary high Voltage spikes to ground or neutral.

Spikes see electronics off quite easily.

A generator is generally a pretty bad source of supply compared to the domestic supply, the variations in output are easily seen with incandescent lighting, but I certainly have full confidence in its ability to operate all my gear.

There is a bit of paranoia about the damage possible to electronics by supply Voltages. I have seen it happen when 415 was connected across a 240 V live and neutral and several times after lightning strikes in proximity to the equipment. The lightning can induce current into signal cables incidentally so your equipment connected to aerials or interconnected over a few meters distance can be zapped even if unplugged from the mains.

Hence my total confidence in my Lidl generator.

Sorry, I just thought I would come back and point out that if you are considering a generator the downside is the noise with my model. This would be a serious problem were I in a town.

I guess I wouldn't have the interruptions then though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/impax-im1800ifg-1800w-inverter-frame-generator-240v/843hp

My brother uses this for the basics during a power cut, using it for the last 18 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sadreamr

I've been experiencing power outages lately too and seems a UPS is the way to go. I'm look at the Delta N Series 1kVA. Wondering if anyone has any experience with Delta?

What are you looking for, something to keep your computer[s] going?

If it's for home use, I wouldn't have thought that a UPS was a practical solution at all.

I fitted large numbers for PLC controlled gear, but the UPS was strictly limited to supplying data critical electronics, nothing else.

I have a generator for the many outages here and they can last hours. Frankly before I considered a UPS, I would simply make sure the critical laptops had a good set of batteries and delve into the router in order to tap in a battery derived external supply. My last mains powered PC is hardly used now and will not be replaced.

A simple c/o relay to bring in a low voltage supply isn't a major challenge and a lot of the expense involved with UPS supplies is getting the power conditioned to provide a pure well regulated sine wave, the irony being that the batteries are DC, well regulated and require no overvoltage protection. So it's more efficient and cost effective to use trickle charged batteries, just tailor the cell numbers to suit the equipment Voltage.

Could you not use a laptop as a server, stick it alongside the router and use a common DC supply? I'm sure you could find kit happy to work on 24V DC and my 12V 7A/H cells were about £60 for the pair from Screwfix. You wouldn't even have to open the router or laptop :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement