Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bear Races - Fastlane 3/4 Marathon

• 25-09-2023 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

Has anyone ever participated in or had experience with the Fastlane 3/4 Marathon beginning on the Grand Canal? I signed up yesterday and I'm curious as to how people found it previously? Is there parking nearby not too familiar with the area

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I am doing the 10k. They run a 5k/10k in the summer from park west on the canal.

The race for the 8th is closer to Clondakin. I know the course pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Praetorian22

Thanks for the reply, any recommendations on where to park on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Apparently in Clondalkin village the dunnes car park will be open and Corkage park, that is what the race organisers told me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭TheRef

It looks like the same route as they used for the half marathon earlier this year, with three laps instead of the two.

Free parking for that was in The Mill Shopping center, so assume the same, about a mile way, just had to park around the back, but you won't miss it. Follow the crowds to the start line.

It's probably the only race (the half) I done that I said I'd never ever do again. They call it fast lane and go on about how flat it is. The first few km were very crowded because it's run on quite narrow paths along part of the canal. We also crossed the canal over a metal bridge that was rising and dropping really bad on the first loop due to the amount of people on it. It was weird as you would place you foot and the floor would drop a cm or so below you. There are also curbs to navigate after you head around the front side of the business park. At the end, I got a nondescript generic medal.

But look, I assume you're using this as maybe your last very long run before Dublin, so go into it with that mindset rather than trying to race it, and it should beat running around your usual route. If you are planning on racing it, just go towards the very front so you don't get stuck behind everyone.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for the feedback and insight here, appreciate it! The bridge element certainly sounds interesting 🤣

Advertisement